Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 06-22-2008, 11:32 AM   #1
JuristDoctor
JuristDoctor began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS-505
Calibre 0.4.73 Bug?

Just a note to report that Calibre 0.4.73 doesn't seem to be saving my metadata changes. I was not experiencing this problem with 0.4.72.
JuristDoctor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2008, 11:59 AM   #2
Ervserver
Wizard
Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Simple Touch
I've not noticed this.....yet
Ervserver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2008, 12:33 PM   #3
JuristDoctor

After a bit more playing around with it, it appears to simply be a much longer delay than normal in having the change appear. Prior to this version, any change I made to the metadata would instantly update on-screen. Now, the changes evidently take much longer to appear.

Is this version-related or does it have something to do with the size of my database?
Old 06-22-2008, 05:24 PM   #4
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
How are you changing the metadata? With the metadata edit dialog?
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2008, 06:13 AM   #5
JuristDoctor

Yes, changing the metadata simply through the interface: highlighting the book > clicking the edit metadata button > clicking ok after making changes. It seems slowest in showing changes made to the author.
Old 06-23-2008, 03:14 PM   #6
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

How many books do you have in the database?
Old 06-23-2008, 04:15 PM   #7
JuristDoctor

683 books in the database. I noticed the program is much slower to open as well so I am guessing it's the size of the database slowing things down.
Old 06-23-2008, 04:19 PM   #8
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre

Its a bug, will be fixed in the next release.
Old 06-23-2008, 04:21 PM   #9
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre

actually no, I'm not sure it's a bug. How long does it take for the changes to appear?
Old 06-23-2008, 04:58 PM   #10
JuristDoctor

It's difficult to put a time on it because it varies. The changes frequently aren't reflected until some type of overall "refresh" that program performs has occured. This "refresh" just seems to often take much longer than in prior versions. Again, I noticed that the program took much longer to open as well (in the past few versions). I have been using the program for at least six months.

The first time I noticed it today (after installing 0.4.73), I was making some changes and they just would not "take." I tried a couple of times and they simply wouldn't appear saved. I closed and re-opened the program and they were, in fact, saved. Subsequently, the changes would eventually appear ... it just seemed sluggish.

Of course, the size of my book database has grown over time as well and I can certainly see that it may all be attributable to that. I just wasn't sure and thought it best to bring the issue to your attention. Incidentally, I should ask if there is some practical limit to the database size or number of books it can handle?

Regardless, it's an excellent program Kovid and I am most thankful for all your hard work on it.

Last edited by JuristDoctor; 06-23-2008 at 05:08 PM.
Old 06-23-2008, 05:36 PM   #11
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre

This seems like a bug, a 700 book database really shouldn't be causing a slowdown. I've worked with 1000 book databases with instant metadata update. Can you open a ticket about it, I think that basically there's a disconnect somewhere in the GUI update code.
Old 06-24-2008, 09:25 AM   #12
JuristDoctor

I opened a ticket (and hopefully did so correctly) but I wasn't sure what information went in some areas of the ticket form so please forgive by newbie-ness if any portions are incorrect.
Old 06-24-2008, 03:09 PM   #13
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre

Dont worry, you did fine. The tickets just help me keep track of things.