Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations > Book Clubs

Notices

View Poll Results: September 2011 Mobile Read Book Club Vote
The No. 1 Ladies' Detective Agency (No. 1 in the Series) by Alexander McCall Smith 5 6.41%
A Study in Scarlet by Sir Arthur Conan Doyle 7 8.97%
The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo by Stieg Larsson 12 15.38%
The Chinese Maze Murders by Robert van Gulik (1st Judge Dee mystery by van Gulik) 21 26.92%
The Moonstone by Wilkie Collins 6 7.69%
The Book of Fate by Brad Meltzer 3 3.85%
Murder on the Orient Express by Agatha Christie 7 8.97%
Bruno, Chief of Police: A Novel Of The French Countryside by Martin Walker 3 3.85%
Ghost Story: A Novel of the Dresden Files (The Dresden Files, Book #13) by Jim Butcher 0 0%
Storm Front (The Dresden Files, Book #1) by Jim Butcher 14 17.95%
Voters: 78. You may not vote on this poll

Old 08-26-2011, 11:01 AM   #136
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by issybird View Post
Gee, voting because of ulterior motives. Again, I'm appalled. People are supposed to vote for their favorite and damn the consequences. Or so I've been told. And told. And told.
I did vote that way. I voted for the book I wanted when there were others with more votes. I'm now hoping Storm Front wins because people want to read it.

It's like a political vote. When the the candidate you voted for hasn't a chance to win or drops out, you then hope the better of the ones with a chance to win wins. Though sometimes, there is no better in that case.

But, if we have a blind vote, then I can only hope the book I voted for wins.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2011, 11:04 AM   #137
issybird
o saeclum infacetum
issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: H2O, Aura One, PW5
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
It's like a political vote. When the the candidate you voted for hasn't a chance to win or drops out, you then hope the better of the ones with a chance to win wins.
Exactly.

Quote:
But, if we have a blind vote, then I can only hope the book I voted for wins.
Oh, I see. This is all part of an agenda to improve the chances for the books you want, because you don't think you can win in an open vote. Alrighty, then.
issybird is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2011, 11:17 AM   #138
Nyssa
Series Addict
Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite (2nd Gen)
Quote:
Originally Posted by din155 View Post
Oh, you already started? I will wait for the poll to close so that I can finish The Gods Themselves After that I will start with Storm Front irrespective of whichever book wins.

din
Sorry. I was growing impatient.
Nyssa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2011, 11:22 AM   #139
din155
Guru
din155 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.din155 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.din155 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.din155 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.din155 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.din155 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.din155 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.din155 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.din155 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.din155 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.din155 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW, Win 10 thinkpad 8in
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nyssa View Post
Sorry. I was growing impatient.
I would have done the same had I not started with the current book which is getting pretty interesting.

din
din155 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2011, 11:24 AM   #140
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Exactly.
Well, not exactly. A political vote is a blind vote.

Quote:
Oh, I see. This is all part of an agenda to improve the chances for the books you want, because you don't think you can win in an open vote. Alrighty, then.
I think seeing the votes skews some people's vote. A blind vote would hopefully eliminate that.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2011, 11:29 AM   #141
issybird
o saeclum infacetum
issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
Well, not exactly. A political vote is a blind vote.
Not exactly. Pre-election polls give people a very good idea of who the viable candidates are. Moreover, there's no artifical constraint forcing people not to discuss for whom they're voting, as has been advocated here.

Quote:
I think seeing the votes skews some people's vote. A blind vote would hopefully eliminate that.
I'm just taken aback that you would advocate strategic voting to others when you wouldn't engage in it yourself.
Old 08-26-2011, 11:36 AM   #142
vivaldirules
When's Doughnut Day?
vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-505, iPad
Although I've only occasionally read the book club's monthly selection (but never participated in the discussions), I'm rather intrigued by van Gulik's novel and so have voted for it - something I've done only once before.
vivaldirules is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2011, 12:50 PM   #143
Hamlet53
Nameless Being

It would be really good if a blind poll could be conducted for the next month, or very soon. I can see that to give it a fair hearing it would have to be truly blind, a thread locked at inception. Then have a poll so that the preference of the majority could be measured, open results during polling or blind poll. Then the question could be fairly settled just like it has been for the two months of classics issue.

Last edited by Hamlet53; 08-26-2011 at 12:56 PM.
Old 08-26-2011, 05:19 PM   #144
Nyssa
Series Addict
Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vivaldirules View Post
Although I've only occasionally read the book club's monthly selection (but never participated in the discussions), I'm rather intrigued by van Gulik's novel and so have voted for it - something I've done only once before.
I hope this means that you will take part in the discussion as well. Welcome (officially) to the Mobile Read Book Club. We hope you enjoy your stay.
Old 08-26-2011, 10:45 PM   #145
GA Russell
Montreal wins Grey Cup!
GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Paperwhite, Kindles 10 & 4 and jetBook Lite
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hamlet53 View Post

It would be really good if a blind poll could be conducted for the next month, or very soon. I can see that to give it a fair hearing it would have to be truly blind, a thread locked at inception. Then have a poll so that the preference of the majority could be measured, open results during polling or blind poll. Then the question could be fairly settled just like it has been for the two months of classics issue.
I agree! Maybe not every month, but I think it would be fun to do it like that every once in a while.
GA Russell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2011, 08:16 AM   #146
Nyssa
Series Addict

Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GA Russell View Post
I agree! Maybe not every month, but I think it would be fun to do it like that every once in a while.
From what I've noticed, everyone of us who wants to give this a try feels the same way.
Old 08-27-2011, 09:57 AM   #147
issybird
o saeclum infacetum

I suspect that while the polls may be flatter, the outcome won't be affected materially. There will be no way to know, however.

I don't think the two aspects have been addressed. Voters can be hidden (although I think that's less interesting), but there's still no mechanism for hiding the votes unless I missed something. Tom doesn't want to nor should he be expected to tally votes privately.

In the end, an entirely hidden vote sounds like a lot more effort to me and the fun of it doesn't seem worth the nuisance, nor will it prove anything. IMO, of course.

My suggestion would be to have a poll to see if people really want the voters hidden and take it from there.
Old 08-27-2011, 10:03 AM   #148
WT Sharpe
Bah, humbug!
WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, iPad Pro, & a Samsung Galaxy S9.
The poll is closed. It was a good month for nominations, and there were several on that list that I've added to my To Be Read list, but the winner, with 26.92% of the vote, is The Chinese Maze Murders by Robert van Gulik.

Despite the few naysayers, I think this will be a real treat. I've already started reading it, and I'm really enjoying it. It's fast-paced, intriguing, action-packed, and a chance to immerse ourselves in another time and—for most of us at MobileRead—another culture; told by someone who lived in the country and knows whereof he speaks.

The Chinese Maze Murders Discussion thread will open on September 20th.
WT Sharpe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2011, 12:10 PM   #149
sun surfer
languorous autodidact ✦
sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: onyx boox poke 2 colour, kindle voyage
Quote:
I agree with everything except it being "truly blind, a thread locked at inception". To me, part of the fun of the book club is the discussions we have in the threads.

I see it more like many elections - people are free to support who they like and give opinions before and during an election, but actual results are not announced until the election is over.
sun surfer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2011, 12:26 PM   #150
Hamlet53
Nameless Being

Quote:
I suspect that while the polls may be flatter, the outcome won't be affected materially. There will be no way to know, however.

I don't think the two aspects have been addressed. Voters can be hidden (although I think that's less interesting), but there's still no mechanism for hiding the votes unless I missed something. Tom doesn't want to nor should he be expected to tally votes privately.

In the end, an entirely hidden vote sounds like a lot more effort to me and the fun of it doesn't seem worth the nuisance, nor will it prove anything. IMO, of course.

My suggestion would be to have a poll to see if people really want the voters hidden and take it from there.
Just to be clear I was not suggesting that we conduct a vote through any sort of private message system. That would be burdening the Grand Muckity-Muck too much, and besides some people have indicated that they would not participate under such a system. I was just suggesting that we give the blind polling a try if and when the forum software can be modified to allow this, and then have a poll to see what is the preferred alternative. I would say just have the poll now, but if the results were what I anticipate the results would be there would be those who would say it was not a fair hearing since the blind polling alternative had never been given a try.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sun surfer View Post
I agree with everything except it being "truly blind, a thread locked at inception". To me, part of the fun of the book club is the discussions we have in the threads.

I see it more like many elections - people are free to support who they like and give opinions before and during an election, but actual results are not announced until the election is over.
That suggestion was just an attempt to make the poll as completely blind as possible.

Quote:
Originally Posted by WT Sharpe View Post
The poll is closed. It was a good month for nominations, and there were several on that list that I've added to my To Be Read list, but the winner, with 26.92% of the vote, is The Chinese Maze Murders by Robert van Gulik.

Despite the few naysayers, I think this will be a real treat. I've already started reading it, and I'm really enjoying it. It's fast-paced, intriguing, action-packed, and a chance to immerse ourselves in another time and—for most of us at MobileRead—another culture; told by someone who lived in the country and knows whereof he speaks.

The Chinese Maze Murders Discussion thread will open on September 20th.

Glad to hear that you are finding it enjoyable. I actually requested the epub for The No. 1 Ladies' Detective Agency from the FLP when I nominated that book, and by coincidence received an email this morning that it was available for download. So I will be reading that first while it is available to me. I will be reading The Chinese Maze Murders before the discussion begins though. Quite out of the norm for me, two Mystery/Crime books in one month.

Last edited by Hamlet53; 08-27-2011 at 01:17 PM.