Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 09-13-2010, 04:18 PM   #16
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
Radical solution!

To answer your question about ethics, personally I would only ever remove DRM to transfer a book between readers that I owned myself. If I had a wife, I'd probably consider that a close enough relationship. Sister-in-law? No, I wouldn't do that.
I do share eBooks with immediate family members. That includes my wife, mother-in-law and my mother. Other then that, I'm good. But given prices these days, I don't have an issue.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2010, 04:21 PM   #17
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
If you both had your Kindle's registered to the same account and were both reading the same book at the same time with whispersync turned on you'd be having fits as your last read page would be ever changing. This is a flaw with whispersync. You cannot have your Kindle sync with KindleForPC on your computer but not your wife's Kindle (should they ever be registered to the same account). So you would have to turn it off for things not to get really annoying.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-13-2010, 04:23 PM   #18
Tiersten
Guru
Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.

Device: Kindle 3G+WiFi
You can manually sync but I've never tried it.
Tiersten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2010, 07:07 AM   #19
Mike L
Wizard
Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Samsung Galaxy
Hi ProfCrash,

I appreciate your comments. Thanks. But I'm not sure what you mean by "sideload". Can you explain?

You say, "since you are married you both should have legal access to the other account". I don't see how our marital status has anything to do with my contractual relationship with Amazon. I don't recall seeing anything in their terms & conditions that treat married couples differently from individuals (I might be wrong, of course).

But you're right that we could share books by de-registering and re-registering. If this was an on-going problem, we'd probably have registered to the same account in the first place. But it's unusual for us to want to share a book. Our reading tastes are quite different.
Mike L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2010, 08:44 AM   #20
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike L View Post
Hi ProfCrash,

I appreciate your comments. Thanks. But I'm not sure what you mean by "sideload". Can you explain?
It's a word that some people use to refer to loading a book onto a device via the USB cable, as opposed to wireless delivery. I think it may have been an expression invented by B&N with their "nook" reading device.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-14-2010, 09:25 AM   #21
ProfCrash
Tea Enthusiast
ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle1, Kindle DX Graphite, K3 3G, IPad 3, PW2
Quote:
Hi ProfCrash,

You say, "since you are married you both should have legal access to the other account". I don't see how our marital status has anything to do with my contractual relationship with Amazon. I don't recall seeing anything in their terms & conditions that treat married couples differently from individuals (I might be wrong, of course).

But you're right that we could share books by de-registering and re-registering. If this was an on-going problem, we'd probably have registered to the same account in the first place. But it's unusual for us to want to share a book. Our reading tastes are quite different.
Thanks Harry.

My understanding is that the accounts you set up with Amazon can be shared with family. Since you are married, you should be able to share an account with your wife. If the accounts, and therefore the books, were meant to be used by only one person why would they sell a book with six liscences? I know that we now have the option of reading on multiple devices but when I got my K1 that was not the case and I still was able to buy a book with six devices.

Many people share accounts with family members. I know folks who share an account with friends. I have my Mother and Father on my account. I don't know anyone who has been told by Amazon that they cannot share an account. I know parents who register their kids Kindles to their account to add books and then deregister the Kindles. They do this on a regular basis, to prevent their kids from being able to download on their own or use the internet, and Amazon has not said anything.

I guess you are the first person I have run across who does not think it is ok to share an account.
ProfCrash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2010, 09:37 AM   #22
crich70
Grand Sorcerer
crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3, Kindle Paperwhite, Calibre, and Mobipocket for Pc (netbook)
Interesting idea to buy both a kindle version and a pbook version. That way if something went wrong with the kindle you would still be able to read. I know that mobipocket also has multiple PID #'s for being able to load books onto more than one device. I think they allow for up to 4 of them. I don't think they'd have that many if they didn't mean for them to be used, though I do agree that such isn't a licence to share the book with just anyone once you have purchased it.
crich70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2010, 09:49 AM   #23
Mike L
Wizard
Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
It's a word that some people use to refer to loading a book onto a device via the USB cable, as opposed to wireless delivery.
Thanks, Harry. I'm glad to know that.

In fact, it's just the sort of neologism I like one: one that serves a useful purpose and can replace a much longer word or phrase. I shall look for every opportunity to use it.
Old 09-14-2010, 09:51 AM   #24
greeny
greeny began at the beginning.

Device: Cybook
Hi guys, I was very interested to read Mike's solution and this does raise another grey area. If you bought the pBook would you then be legally able to download the eBook version via say a torrent and read it on you eReader (obviously drm already stripped)?
My personal bias would be to say yes as having bought the hard copy, you have bought a license to read it :-)
How does everyone else feel about this?
greeny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2010, 09:59 AM   #25
Mike L
Wizard

ProfCrash,

Thanks again for your useful comments. In fact, none of this really applies to me. For me, it's not a legal or ethical issue. I don't want to share my wife's account simply because it would mean we'd both have to buy our books from the same place, which neither of us want.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ProfCrash View Post
I guess you are the first person I have run across who does not think it is ok to share an account.
I never said it wasn't OK to share an account. Rather, that I don't want to.

And, by the way, has this really got anything to do with marital status or family membership. I raised that issue when we were discussing DRM-stripping, not sharing an account.

Amazon says it OK to register several devices on the same account. They don't impose any restrictions on who owns the devices or how they are related. You and I and Harry T and JSWolf could all legally share an account if we wanted to.

I know my situation is slightly unusual. I expect most family members and married couples are only too pleased to be able to share.
Old 09-14-2010, 10:38 AM   #26
ProfCrash
Tea Enthusiast
ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle1, Kindle DX Graphite, K3 3G, IPad 3, PW2
Quote:
ProfCrash,

Thanks again for your useful comments. In fact, none of this really applies to me. For me, it's not a legal or ethical issue. I don't want to share my wife's account simply because it would mean we'd both have to buy our books from the same place, which neither of us want.

I never said it wasn't OK to share an account. Rather, that I don't want to.

And, by the way, has this really got anything to do with marital status or family membership. I raised that issue when we were discussing DRM-stripping, not sharing an account.

Amazon says it OK to register several devices on the same account. They don't impose any restrictions on who owns the devices or how they are related. You and I and Harry T and JSWolf could all legally share an account if we wanted to.

I know my situation is slightly unusual. I expect most family members and married couples are only too pleased to be able to share.
OK. I was reading your posts with the thought that you didn't think you could share accounts and not that you just didn't want to share accounts.

I am envious though. I would love it if I could have a UK Kindle account in my house. I know that some books are cheaper in the UK and are available that are not in the US. I would be thrilled to have access to that store.

I guess I would have downloaded the book from her account since you could switch back to your other account. But you have decided on a total account split which works for you and that is all that matters.

My brother reads the account restrictions differently, he thought that it would violate Amazons terms of service for he and I to share an account. I was reasonably certain that it would be fine given. I do think I could share an account with a friend or who ever I want to trust my account to.

Enjoy the book, it is a good read. If you like the Girl With the Dragon Tattoo you will enjoy Girl Who PLayed With Fire.
ProfCrash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2010, 02:40 PM   #27
Mike L
Wizard

Glad we agree, ProfCrash.

Yes, I'm looking forward to reading both Played with Fire and Hornets Nest. I enjoyed Dragon Tattoo, although I didn't think it was all it was cracked up to be: too much "He did this, then he did that" - if you see what I mean.

My main reason for wanting to get the second and third books in the trilogy just now is so that I can read them before the movies come round. But that's another discussion.