Old 07-22-2010, 01:45 PM   #16
techie42
Zealot
techie42 has learned how to buy an e-book online

Device: KOBO and iPad
Quote:
Originally Posted by sabredog View Post
Good stuff

Newegg is totally unfriendly to international buyers. Thus I would not beat that price anywhere.

Most of the local stores seem to have sold out of 2Gb SD cards so hopefully they will restock soon. Otherwise using a 4Gb card is a distinct possibility
I found that I could by the 3pack of 4GB cards at a number of places (Walmart, Superstore, and some other place I can not remember) for $35. Most of the 2GB cards I have seen sell for $15 or more. Havent checked out factorydirect.ca though.
techie42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2010, 03:46 PM   #17
KjellM
Connoisseur
KjellM can grok the meaning of the universe.KjellM can grok the meaning of the universe.KjellM can grok the meaning of the universe.KjellM can grok the meaning of the universe.KjellM can grok the meaning of the universe.KjellM can grok the meaning of the universe.KjellM can grok the meaning of the universe.KjellM can grok the meaning of the universe.KjellM can grok the meaning of the universe.KjellM can grok the meaning of the universe.KjellM can grok the meaning of the universe.

Device: Kobo, Glo HD, Aura ONE
Quote:
Originally Posted by kram View Post
Sameer,

Does the spring-loaded mechanism is the SD slot operate as a switch or is it just for removing the SD card? The reason I ask for clarification is that if you were to put a dummy SD plate in the slot to protect stuff from getting in there does the spring-loaded mechanism activate a circuit that would read the card therefore using some battery?
As near as I can tell a proper dummy SD card does not affect the battery life. Not all dummy SD cards are "proper" dummies, see this thread:
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/showthread.php?t=82919
KjellM is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-22-2010, 04:39 PM   #18
kram
kram has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.kram has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.kram has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.kram has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Kobo Touch
Thanks for the link KjellM.
kram is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2010, 12:29 AM   #19
sabredog
Geographically Restricted
sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-T3, Kindle Voyage, iPad Air2, Nexus7v2
Quote:
Originally Posted by techie42 View Post
I found that I could by the 3pack of 4GB cards at a number of places (Walmart, Superstore, and some other place I can not remember) for $35. Most of the 2GB cards I have seen sell for $15 or more. Havent checked out factorydirect.ca though.
I will look around.

The cheapest store for memory cards is out of 2Gb stock
sabredog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2011, 04:52 AM   #20
mattjs
mattjs began at the beginning.

Device: Color Nook
FYI: I experimented and initially had problems with the following SD Cards a 64MB (out of an old phone) and a Sandisk 1GB (which may or may not have been SDHC) in any case I initially had problems with the FAT32 file system under Windows, although this is suposed to be supported.

I resovled my issues with the SD Formatter from the SD Association:

http://www.sdcard.org/consumers/formatter_3/

It formats the card with the appropriate file system for the card size (in both these cases FAT16 or just plain FAT) and provides a FORMAT SIZE ADJUSMENT option which I used (and do advise to use) for a slight but insignificant loss of capacity (it aligns on cylinder boundaries I think which delivers the greatest compatibility).

Never quite got the old 64MB card working but it was obviously the issue with the 1GB card that I was concerned about.

I will always use this tool with these options for what are called "embedded devices" in future as the first, last and best hope of getting it working with your eReader etc...

If in doubt everyone then PLEASE try this to see if your card is truly campatible or not!

Regards to all.
Matthew.

Last edited by mattjs; 01-26-2011 at 04:55 AM.
mattjs is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert