Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 06-17-2010, 06:08 PM   #1
scottjl
Reader of Books
scottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with others

Device: none
nintendo discovers the classics..

http://www.100classicbooks.com/

i guess it's a good thing, but the NDS looks like a very award ereader..
scottjl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2010, 07:30 PM   #2
Worldwalker
Curmudgeon
Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-505
It's no worse than a lot of PDAs or phones, really.

If my novelty-seeking outvotes my frugality, I may be able to review it soon. There's a store 15 minutes from me that has it in stock. Angel on one shoulder, demon on the other ....
Worldwalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-17-2010, 07:44 PM   #3
Kevin2960
YODA's Uglier Twin
Kevin2960 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kevin2960 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kevin2960 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kevin2960 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kevin2960 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kevin2960 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kevin2960 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kevin2960 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kevin2960 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kevin2960 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kevin2960 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-600 and 2 Kindle 3's - and now a K4 + HTC Desire HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by scottjl View Post
http://www.100classicbooks.com/

i guess it's a good thing, but the NDS looks like a very award ereader..

I have it, its pretty good, only 2 text sizes, no font choice , no real facilities, but very readable, brought me to PROPER eReaders, Had hoped the DSi XL would have a proper reader but it doesn't,
Maybe on the soon to be released 3DS !

Kevin2960 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2010, 09:23 PM   #4
scottjl
Reader of Books
scottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with others

funny, sounds like it's been around a while. i just got an email from nintendo about it today, thought it was new. i gave up my DS long ago though.

i'd far rather read on my iphone than a DS though. sorry. easier to hold the iphone 1-handed. the DS would be awkward. never cared for the games that forced me to hold it sideways.
Old 06-17-2010, 10:17 PM   #5
Poppa1956
Evangelist
Poppa1956 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppa1956 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppa1956 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppa1956 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppa1956 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppa1956 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppa1956 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppa1956 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppa1956 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppa1956 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppa1956 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Verizon Ellipsis Tablit w/Kindle and Nook apps.
I suppose if I already owned a DS, this might appear to me as a value added use. I think I would also need to be pretty desperate to read from a device, and for some reason be unable to purchase something more suitable to the task.
Poppa1956 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-18-2010, 12:21 AM   #6
Worldwalker
Curmudgeon
Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Looks like it came out in December of 08. Odd that Nintendo is just starting to push it now.

"If I already owned a DS" is the key. This won't be the killer app that makes an ebook aficionado buy a DS, but it might be the camel's nose in the tent that gets a DS owner to try ebooks.

I already own a DS Lite, and it's more portable (and I'm more willing to let it get in harm's way) than my 505. My DS will naturally never be my primary ebook reader, but it would be handy to have a chip full of books I could pop in and read when I'm stuck somewhere waiting for someone/something. Unlike my 505, which with its cover is the size of a small hardcover, the DS fits neatly into a coat pocket.

*sigh* I should have ordered it this afternoon. Now Amazon is out of stock on it.
Old 06-18-2010, 04:08 AM   #7
JvdW
Zealot
JvdW doesn't litterJvdW doesn't litter

Device: Palm T5, Sony PRS-505, Nook Color
Hmm, just looks like a spiffed up version of dslibris. See http://rhaleblian.wordpress.com/

Just put the archive on your Flashcart, add your epub books to its book folder and start reading away.

Regards,

Joop
JvdW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2010, 07:42 AM   #8
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
We had discussions of this well over a year ago; it definitely isn't new.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2010, 08:18 AM   #9
Freeshadow
temp. out of service
Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PB 623
its squeezing money out of gutenberg-available material.
just poor.

i use my ds for games only (ie used - its currently broken)
Freeshadow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2010, 10:00 AM   #10
Worldwalker
Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freeshadow View Post
just poor.
I could buy a flashcart, set up dslibris, reformat the books so they work, and read them.

Or I could spend twenty bucks on having someone else do all of that for me.

I have many of those books in dead trees form (in some cases, more than one copy; marriage isn't just the joining of two people, it's the merging of two libraries), I have them on my computer, I have them on my 505 ... I have no real incentive to go to that much effort to get them on my DS as well. But if someone else will do so for me at an affordable price, they've added enough value to make it worth the money to me.
Old 06-18-2010, 10:17 AM   #11
dsvick
Wizard
dsvick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsvick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsvick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsvick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsvick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsvick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsvick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsvick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsvick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsvick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsvick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-900
I don't have a DS but both of our kids do. As poor a reader as this might be, anything that might encourage them to read more would be great. We are constantly having them shut off games and go read or play with something else, but on long car trips or other times when those other activities aren't available, having books right there for them would be great.

I'll have to look through the title again though, I'm not sure there is much there that would interest our 7 year old.
dsvick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2010, 10:59 AM   #12
Worldwalker
Curmudgeon

Looks like the reason for the sudden promotion is that it's only been available in Europe up to now, and was just released in North America on Monday.

I suspect a lot of those books are going to be beyond a 7-year-old's interests (I was a precocious kid, but even I didn't start on Shakespeare until 8!), but there's plenty of great stuff for the older set. As for the 7-year-old, get him Bookworm!
Old 06-18-2010, 11:44 AM   #13
scottjl
Reader of Books

Quote:
Originally Posted by Worldwalker View Post
Looks like the reason for the sudden promotion is that it's only been available in Europe up to now, and was just released in North America on Monday.
ahh. yep. i'm in the states (most of the time). that might explain it.
Old 06-18-2010, 11:57 AM   #14
mr ploppy
Feral Underclass
mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: 2nd hand paperback
Quote:
Originally Posted by dsvick View Post
I don't have a DS but both of our kids do. As poor a reader as this might be, anything that might encourage them to read more would be great. We are constantly having them shut off games and go read or play with something else, but on long car trips or other times when those other activities aren't available, having books right there for them would be great.

I'll have to look through the title again though, I'm not sure there is much there that would interest our 7 year old.
I doubt it is aimed at kids, if they won't watch films that are older than they are they are not going to read books that are older than their granny.
mr ploppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2010, 12:10 PM   #15
Kevin2960
YODA's Uglier Twin
Kevin2960 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kevin2960 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kevin2960 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kevin2960 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kevin2960 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kevin2960 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kevin2960 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kevin2960 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kevin2960 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kevin2960 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kevin2960 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-600 and 2 Kindle 3's - and now a K4 + HTC Desire HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by Freeshadow View Post
just poor.

i use my ds for games only (ie used - its currently broken)

NOT Poor, pretty god for a limited device, I like it, but I moved on to a Sony PRS-600, but again it isn't bad as a start,
Kevin2960 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
books, classic, nintendo