Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

View Poll Results: What do you NEED for Display?
I'm a PURIST (e-Ink only) 98 41.18%
It GLOWS, It BLOWS (e-Ink or Transreflective only) 57 23.95%
I'm Organic (AMOLED is ok) 5 2.10%
Just Stop Flickering! (LED backed LCDs are ok) 17 7.14%
I'm Easy (I can and will read on anything) 73 30.67%
I'm Complicated (explained in comment) 8 3.36%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 238. You may not vote on this poll

Old 09-15-2010, 08:01 AM   #46
macminer
Connoisseur
macminer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.macminer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.macminer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.macminer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.macminer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.macminer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.macminer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.macminer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.macminer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.macminer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.macminer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox Nova 3, Lenovo Tab 4 8" (formerly many others)
Complicated

I'm one of the "complicated" ones.

E-ink would be perfect if it wasn't so slow. Fast browsing through a book (or paging through it) is really not possible with E-ink and with academic books it is really a must - you're reading and you need to jump forward and back to remember what you were reading, to check cross-references etc.

All glowing screens are a compromise, but so far only the glowing ones can offer decent speed.
macminer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2010, 08:18 AM   #47
Quake1028
Guru
Quake1028 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quake1028 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quake1028 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quake1028 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quake1028 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quake1028 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quake1028 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quake1028 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quake1028 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quake1028 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quake1028 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: See signature
I read on my K3 and much less on my Droid. I much, much prefer e-Ink though. So I guess I'm complicated.
Quake1028 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-15-2010, 09:26 AM   #48
Sischa
Evangelist
Sischa knows what time it isSischa knows what time it isSischa knows what time it isSischa knows what time it isSischa knows what time it isSischa knows what time it isSischa knows what time it isSischa knows what time it isSischa knows what time it isSischa knows what time it isSischa knows what time it is

Device: Nokia 770, Ilead, Cybook G3, Kindle DX, Kindle 2, iPad, Kindle 3, PW
Quote:
Originally Posted by macminer View Post
I'm one of the "complicated" ones.

E-ink would be perfect if it wasn't so slow. Fast browsing through a book (or paging through it) is really not possible with E-ink and with academic books it is really a must - you're reading and you need to jump forward and back to remember what you were reading, to check cross-references etc.

All glowing screens are a compromise, but so far only the glowing ones can offer decent speed.
I have to agree in this point for the old screen technologie.

The new pear screen technologie like in the Kindle 3 is very fast and for me it is now fast enough to scroll and jump around in documents.
Sischa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2010, 09:06 PM   #49
brecklundin
Banned
brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.

Device: mine
opps...wrong thread...d'oh!!

Last edited by brecklundin; 09-15-2010 at 09:15 PM.
brecklundin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2010, 12:03 AM   #50
aagstn
Evangelist
aagstn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aagstn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aagstn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aagstn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aagstn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aagstn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aagstn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aagstn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aagstn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aagstn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aagstn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 3, iPad mini 2
I read on a nook, an iPod Touch and a jetbook lite so it all works for me.
aagstn is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-18-2010, 09:47 PM   #51
David71
Enthusiast
David71 began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Touch
I love e-Ink. It certainly works much better for me than LCD ever did. I can't read for more than ten minutes on an LCD screen before my eyes start to feel a bit of strain; I've certainly tried. My optometrist says it may be my severe astigmatism that causes this. Whatever the case, LCD is simply not an option for me. LED displays are not as bad for me but e-Ink still wins out in the end.

I'm just glad that there are numerous readers out there for us to choose from. I think we can get caught up in our own preferences and forget that others might have good reasons for choosing differently.
David71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2010, 01:54 AM   #52
brecklundin
Banned
brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.

what I bet causes more eye strain for people using LCD or other panels is not the nature of the panels/display tech but rather that today people don't vary their field of focus often enough because we all spend waaay to much time staring at a statically positioned display. I know I read a white paper a few years back that mentioned those who used laptops exclusively had less eye issues compared to those using desktop systems with LCD's. The conclusion was that because the displays used by desktop users are pretty much the same distance away and people tend to always sit in pretty much the same position all the time as big factors in the matter. Of couse this has been the case since the advent of the desktop computer or before then for typists for that matter since they too tended to stare at their copy while typing.

I suspect the fact we don't usually hold our reading materials at the same distance/position all the time helps boost the positive results many peopel sense from their EPD panel devices.

I would also suggest that under the right lighting conditions an EPD panel is potentially more harmful due to reflecting BRIGHTER light than an LCD would emit. Think outdoors or with very bright ambient/overhead lighting resulting in more and stronger light being reflected back from the panel. So no solution is ever going to be perfect.

Still, I know when I actually do get eyes that feel tired it's because I have been working in a more static position for hours on end every day for a long period...and this is even though all I have used for over a decade and a half are laptops. But ya just need to do those eye exercises designed to help with this sort of thing...or get out and away from the displays once in a while...outside is good...
Old 09-20-2010, 04:48 PM   #53
nekokami
fruminous edugeek
nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad, eBw 1150
When I read at night, I have my iPad display in amber text on a black background. I find that it doesn't strain my eyes, doesn't keep my husband awake, and doesn't cause insomnia. (But I just installed f.lux for times when I need to work on the laptop in the evening.)
nekokami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2010, 08:59 AM   #54
shanghaichica
Guru
shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Scribe,Kindle Oasis 3, iPad Pro 11, iPhone 13 Pro Max,iPad mini 6, PW5
If I didnt have a choice I would read on any type of screen under any lighting conditions. However since I do have a choice I want the screen type that is easiest and most comfortable to read on and that is e-ink. Now that there are e-ink devices I will not settle for anything less.
shanghaichica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2010, 02:44 PM   #55
opitzs
Avid Reader
opitzs can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.opitzs can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.opitzs can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.opitzs can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.opitzs can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.opitzs can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.opitzs can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.opitzs can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.opitzs can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.opitzs can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.opitzs can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.

Device: PRS-505, PRS-600, PRS T1, Kobo Glo
I like to read for hours on end, I can do that on any screen.
However, once I stop I notice if my eyes feel strained. For that reason I love eInk. Mirasol is something I have to test sometimes.
opitzs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2010, 04:45 PM   #56
brecklundin
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by nekokami View Post
When I read at night, I have my iPad display in amber text on a black background. I find that it doesn't strain my eyes, doesn't keep my husband awake, and doesn't cause insomnia. (But I just installed f.lux for times when I need to work on the laptop in the evening.)
How do ya like f.lux? I even use it during the day if my eyes are feeling tired and I want a warmer overall tone for the screen. I think it's a super useful utility and in the "wow, why din't I think of that!!!???" category....

On my old Clie nx73v (mobireader or ereader reading software in PalmOS 5) or Nokia N800 (using FBReader on the N800) when I read in the dark use something similar. I use a black background and either a pale shade of blue or pale shade of yellow for text. I flip flop and still have no clear favorite when in that mode.

When reading on that device in the sun using the nx73v (it is a transflective panel device) I use a nice bright white or even a parchment color background and a nice black bold font to get the best refection and contrast combo. I often use the Clie because of it's size for those times I don't want to lug around the K2i in it's cover but don't mind it either.

Just shows there are so many options and that is the important thing...the more high quality tech options we have the better each will become thanks to the "cash for books" drive that publishers and device makers use as their annual and on-going fundraiser.
Old 09-24-2010, 05:50 PM   #57
nekokami
fruminous edugeek
nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad, eBw 1150
Quote:
Originally Posted by brecklundin View Post
How do ya like f.lux?
I like it quite well so far, though I've only had it installed for a few days. The only drawback is that sometimes I actually need to stay awake in the evening to get something done... I need to remember to switch it off.
nekokami is offline   Reply With Quote