Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 05-05-2009, 11:09 AM   #76
Daithi
Publishers are evil!
Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various Kindles
That is a very pretty looking device and if the price is reasonable (in the $650 range) I'm planning on buying one.

However, I'm worried that the screen might still be a little small. At 5.5" x 8" the screen still comes in at less than half the size of an 8.5" x 11" piece of paper (I have a lot of PDFs this size). So I'd really like to see what a PDF this size would look like on the new Kindle.
Daithi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2009, 11:10 AM   #77
DaleDe
Grand Sorcerer
DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: EB 1150, EZ Reader, Literati, iPad 2 & Air 2, iPhone 7
Here are some computer world articles:

http://www.computerworld.com/action/...&source=NLT_PM

Dale
DaleDe is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-05-2009, 11:59 AM   #78
kuliand
Connoisseur
kuliand doesn't litterkuliand doesn't litter

Device: sony prs505
well this is sounding like an interesting device the screen size is getting to where it needs to be for people who want to read text books news papers. I just really hope amazon release this in the uk aswell as surely ignoring every other market other than the US for much longer will hurt them if it is just whispernet holding this back then get rid of it for the EU countries i certainly couldn't care less about downloading my books over the phone network.

Also hopefully sony will see this and come out with a 9.7" device of there own.

Edit: they also need to get text books into ebook format as i have looked the books i have bought in my first year in computer science and none of them are on the US site for kindle download i would imagine computer science should be an early market for text book publishers to tap into as students on tech based courses are more likely to be early adopters.

Last edited by kuliand; 05-05-2009 at 12:02 PM.
kuliand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2009, 12:02 PM   #79
astra
The Introvert
astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony Reader PRS-650 & 505 & 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daithi View Post
That is a very pretty looking device and if the price is reasonable (in the $650 range) I'm planning on buying one.

However, I'm worried that the screen might still be a little small. At 5.5" x 8" the screen still comes in at less than half the size of an 8.5" x 11" piece of paper (I have a lot of PDFs this size). So I'd really like to see what a PDF this size would look like on the new Kindle.
Maybe if they have a proper s/w PDF reader, then you can zoom in (to remove the marings) and turn pages while the reader remembers zoom settings like in iRex iLiad. Or maybe you will be able to read PDf file in landscape mode 50/50.

The reader looks nice.
astra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2009, 12:08 PM   #80
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Well, it looks like Amazon botched the KDX up. It has no ePub support. A nice big 9.7 inch screen with no ePub support is a joke.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-05-2009, 12:13 PM   #81
Daithi
Publishers are evil!
Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I hope your right Astra.

It would be pretty cool if when you tilted the device lengthwise it would automatically switch to landscape view (like an iPhone), but I'm pretty sure that's just wishful thinking.
Old 05-05-2009, 12:15 PM   #82
Daithi
Publishers are evil!

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
Well, it looks like Amazon botched the KDX up. It has no ePub support. A nice big 9.7 inch screen with no ePub support is a joke.
Have you seen this confirmed somewhere?
Old 05-05-2009, 12:15 PM   #83
wallcraft
reader
wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kobo Glo HD
The larger screen should allow significantly larger fonts. However, I think TOPAZ ebooks have exactly 6 font sizes hardwired as bitmaps in the document. These will be 10% larger based on the pixel density (150 ppi vs 166 ppi on the Kindle 2). There is no reason why AZW/MOBI ebooks can't have more than 6 font size options though.
wallcraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2009, 12:16 PM   #84
astra
The Introvert
astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daithi View Post
I hope your right Astra.

It would be pretty cool if when you tilted the device lengthwise it would automatically switch to landscape view (like an iPhone), but I'm pretty sure that's just wishful thinking.
Would you mind getting to landscape mode by pressing a button? I think it would be an OK solution
Old 05-05-2009, 12:17 PM   #85
kuliand
Connoisseur
kuliand doesn't litterkuliand doesn't litter

Device: sony prs505
Quote:
Originally Posted by astra View Post
Maybe if they have a proper s/w PDF reader, then you can zoom in (to remove the marings) and turn pages while the reader remembers zoom settings like in iRex iLiad. Or maybe you will be able to read PDf file in landscape mode 50/50.

The reader looks nice.
Yes the lack of zooming makes the prs 505 a worse pdf viewer than the screen size should allow in theory. A zoom feature that is totally custom would be nice i.e. you can set what percent you want with a sensible range.
kuliand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2009, 12:22 PM   #86
astra
The Introvert

Quote:
Originally Posted by kuliand View Post
Yes the lack of zooming makes the prs 505 a worse pdf viewer than the screen size should allow in theory. A zoom feature that is totally custom would be nice i.e. you can set what percent you want with a sensible range.
Sony succeeded in botching zoom even in 700 where you have a genuine zoom feature (vs. font size feature in 505) that cannot remember zoom position when you turn pages...
Old 05-05-2009, 12:30 PM   #87
Daithi
Publishers are evil!

Quote:
Originally Posted by astra View Post
Would you mind getting to landscape mode by pressing a button? I think it would be an OK solution
I could live with a button. Probably wouldn't want to pay for extra cost of the tilting feature anyway.
Old 05-05-2009, 12:54 PM   #88
deltop
Zealot
deltop doesn't litterdeltop doesn't litterdeltop doesn't litter

Device: Kobo Glo
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
Botched in what way? You think it won't be a success and sell well due to this? I doubt it since lack of epub support won't make one iota of difference when it comes to the vast majority of potential buyers. They'll be getting their content from Amazon and I'd hazard a a guess and say both Amazon and most buyers will be perfectly happy with this arrangement.

Don't get me wrong I'm far from happy with Amazon dominating the ebook market and I'd love to see every device out there support epub (all my ebooks are now in this format) but from a business perspective lack of epub support is just an none issue when it comes to the kindle range. In fact you could even argue that it would be against Amazon's best interests as the owners of mobipocket to support epub.
deltop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2009, 12:59 PM   #89
ny10522
Enthusiast
ny10522 is on a distinguished road

Device: Jetbook, Kindle2, Kindle Touch 3G, Ipod Touch
Well, just returned my Kindle 2 (had only two days left to do it) in anticipation of this device. I enjoyed my Kindle 2 but there was one huge drawback.....screen contrast. I hope the new large screen Kindle has a thicker font or better contrast.

Epub support is a non-issue. With Stanza or Calibre it was easy to switch formats and directly load almost any book I liked onto the Kindle. It will be great to read textbooks. I have many scanned books and texts in PDF format. The larger screen and PDF support will be a welcome improvement.

As for cost, the Kindle 2 was a BARGAIN! Lifetime subscription to the internet with access anywhere in the US! I sent/received emails, looked up topics while reading via Google or Wikipedia, and even read the New York Times without subscription via Calibre. The Kindle 2 was almost terrific, but if they improve screen contrast, this next Kindle will be DA BOMB!
ny10522 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2009, 01:05 PM   #90
rcuadro
Wizard
rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle DX
With all this I wonder if there will be PDF support for the K2?
rcuadro is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
formats, kindle, pdf