Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > More E-Book Readers > Bookeen

Notices

Old 08-15-2008, 10:31 AM   #1
Mindy
Away with the Faeries
Mindy can illuminate an eclipseMindy can illuminate an eclipseMindy can illuminate an eclipseMindy can illuminate an eclipseMindy can illuminate an eclipseMindy can illuminate an eclipseMindy can illuminate an eclipseMindy can illuminate an eclipseMindy can illuminate an eclipseMindy can illuminate an eclipseMindy can illuminate an eclipse

Device: Sony PRS 650
Panic! Frozen

I came across a word I didn't know and casually wondered if I could look it up in the shiny new dictionary I got for my Cybook last night.
When I opened the dictionary it was at the last word I looked up. I used 'Go to' 'First Page' and started to scroll through the pages, hoping for an index or something.
I just got to 'a' on pronunciation when it stopped, came up with a loading screen and took me back to the library BUT is completely frozen (none of the buttons work) and there is a lightning symbol next to the battery symbol (which was previously at 90%). It's set to auto-power off after an hour but that's a long time till I see whether it actually will or not.
I don't have cable or charger or anything with me and am going out straight after work so I can't try anything like that for hours and am panicking a bit.
What have I done?
What should I do?
Aaaaahhhhhhh!
(thank you)
Mindy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2008, 10:39 AM   #2
helten
helten is on a distinguished road

Device: None
Try the reset button on the back of the reader. You need a pencil or something to push it. After resetting you have to turn on the device again.
helten is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-15-2008, 10:46 AM   #3
Mindy
Away with the Faeries
Mindy can illuminate an eclipseMindy can illuminate an eclipseMindy can illuminate an eclipseMindy can illuminate an eclipseMindy can illuminate an eclipseMindy can illuminate an eclipseMindy can illuminate an eclipseMindy can illuminate an eclipseMindy can illuminate an eclipseMindy can illuminate an eclipseMindy can illuminate an eclipse

Won't that return it to factory settings i.e. delete all my books?
Old 08-15-2008, 10:54 AM   #4
slayda
Retired & reading more!
slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 1, iPad Air 2, iPhone 6S+, Kobo Aura One
No. What was described is a "soft" reset. I have actually had to unplug the battery at times when it hung to get back to normal. That did not remove the books either.

I have noticed some such irregularities with dictionaries but you might also try charging it. As Harry says, when new the Gen 3 battery registry sometimes is not very accurate until it goes through several cycles.

Hope this helps.
slayda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2008, 11:09 AM   #5
Mindy
Away with the Faeries

Brilliant - thank you both!
Panic Over!

Advert
Old 08-15-2008, 11:48 AM   #6
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
If it happens reproducably, I'd suggest that you report the problem to both Bookeen and to the store where you bought the dictionary. Dictionaries are very large and complex documents, and can cause "issues".
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2008, 03:52 AM   #7
Sunlite
Addict
Sunlite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sunlite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sunlite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sunlite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sunlite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sunlite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sunlite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sunlite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sunlite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sunlite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sunlite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KObo Clara, Kobo Aura, PRS-T1, PB602, CyBook Gen3
Just as a side note, you do not need to search for the word in the dictionary yourself. If you find a word you want to look up, go to the menu by pressing the enter button (middle button on the cross) and choose 'Lookup mode'.
You will then see a cursor in form of a border around the word in the upper left corner of the page. Navigate that cursor to the word you want to look up using the cross. The cursor has a wrap around function. When the cursor is at the left edge of the page and you press the left button, the cursor will jump to the right edge. Knowing that can minimize the button clicks.
When the border is around the word you want to look up, press the enter button again. The Cybook will then search through all installed dictionaries for this word and either show you the definition directly or a choice between the dictionaries that contain the word.

To go back to reading, use the hardware back button on the left side of the casing.
Sunlite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2008, 05:59 AM   #8
Mindy
Away with the Faeries

Yeah, I know, the word was in a doc I was reading on my Cybook.
Thanks though.
Old 08-16-2008, 07:52 AM   #9
GeoffC
Chocolate Grasshopper ...
GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Muse HD , Cybook Gen3 , Pocketbook 302 (Black) , Nexus 10: wife has PW
the reset button is probably one of the best things on the Cybook .... (scrapes tongue from inside of cheek)

Geoff
(no further news from Bookeen on their investigation into my Cybook, and they've had it just over a week ... good news or bad, I can't decide....)
GeoffC is offline   Reply With Quote