Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Writers' Corner

Notices

Old 08-02-2013, 09:13 AM   #76
gmw
cacoethes scribendi
gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura One & H2Ov2, Sony PRS-650
Writer2xhtml update

A brief update to the Writer2xhtml problem. I have had no response from the developer, but one of the advantages of opensource products is that you can do it for yourself. So I downloaded the source, applied the necessary patches and rebuilt. It all went smoothly.

The update worked on my old LibreOffice v3.6, so I set-up a LibreOffice v4.1 (just released) portable install, and it appears to work fine on that too (option dialog showed and epub saved and validates).

So, if you want to try Writer2xhtml on LibreOffice v4+, but don't want to patch and build it yourself, AND if you trust me not to send you a virus or trojan, then you can send me a PM with your email address and I can send an updated version of the package (1.9MB zip file).

I can't guarantee that I will be doing any updates beyond this, so you may prefer to try the Writer2epub which is still being actively maintained. (I wanted Writer2xhtml because it has a couple of things I specifically asked for and use.)
gmw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2013, 10:14 PM   #77
Gregg Bell
Gregg Bell
Gregg Bell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gregg Bell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gregg Bell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gregg Bell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gregg Bell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gregg Bell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gregg Bell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gregg Bell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gregg Bell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gregg Bell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gregg Bell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch 7, Sony PRS300, Fire HD8 Tablet
thanks

Quote:
Originally Posted by gmw View Post
Both OpenOffice and LibreOffice require Java to be installed on your system to support some functions - and this plug-in requires that. (If you think it should already be installed, check under LO menu: Tools / Options, and look for Java under the LibreOffice branch of options. This should show you what versions of Java LO has recognised and which one it is using.)

Also, did you note the conversation above with avantman42? It seems that writer2xhtml has problems with the LO v4 (I'm still using LO v3.6). There may be ways around that (a command line version of the convert process), but if you are using LO v4 you may find it simpler to try the Writer2Epub plug-in (that link goes to the forum right here on MR where you can find out more). I've not used that one (yet), but it is supposed to be LO v4 compatible.

And yes, LO does PDF very well.
Thanks G.M. Going to give Writer2Epub a whirl. (As I do have LO v4.) I'm looking forward to it. Thanks for the link.
Gregg Bell is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-20-2015, 09:10 AM   #78
Pinkie
Connoisseur
Pinkie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pinkie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pinkie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pinkie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pinkie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pinkie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pinkie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pinkie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pinkie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pinkie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pinkie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle keyboard, Nook Color, Kobo
I really tried hard to like LibreOffice. People rave about it. But it's a horrible, horrible word processor. I'm moving to SoftMaker's Textmaker, which at least plays nice with Word.
I used Word for years, but I really don't like the new, subscription model. Anyhow, I'll take the suggestion of the old thread warning, and use a new topic.
Pinkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2015, 10:16 AM   #79
gmw
cacoethes scribendi
gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura One & H2Ov2, Sony PRS-650
Pinkie, that's why it's so good to have a choice. There's nothing out there that suits everyone perfectly. ... The wording of which reminds me that I used to be a WordPerfect fan ... ahh, the good old days when you could write text without distraction because text was all there was.
gmw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2015, 06:18 PM   #80
ApK
Award-Winning Participant
ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
LibreOffice is my home word processer. It's fine.
I use M$ Word at work. (or rather I did...looking for a new job. Hire me!)
More often than not, I prefer to compose with minimal formatting, so I can happily compose in Office, Wordpad, the Gmail browser interface, whatever.
Obviously most of my writing is short business documents. I'm not writing novels or screenplays in Gmail.
ApK is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-22-2015, 12:23 AM   #81
cromag
Surfin the alpha waves ~~
cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Jetbook Lite & Mini, Nook STR, Kobo, Hanvon N516, Kindle 2, Androids
I went from a typewriter to a text editor (first ed, then vi) and text formatter (nroff/troff) in Unix. And, later, I kept up with vi (Stevie) on an Amiga. I still use a text editor (nowadays Vim) when I'm in a hurry to get as much text down as quickly as possible -- it's easy enough to pull it into a word processor when my "brain dump" is through.

I'm using LO 4.4 right now. Because of my background, I'm happiest when the word processor does as little as possible.

But, I find that I do like LibreOffice a bit better than OpenOffice.
cromag is offline   Reply With Quote