Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations

Notices

Old 10-06-2008, 10:16 AM   #61
Richard Herley
Author
Richard Herley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Richard Herley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Richard Herley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Richard Herley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Richard Herley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Richard Herley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Richard Herley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Richard Herley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Richard Herley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Richard Herley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Richard Herley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyMartin View Post
I read Refuge over the last weekend and enjoyed it. More than a fair price and fair deal, pay if you like the book, $1.80. I did and I did. Well worth the money.
Thank you -- this is just the kind of reaction I'd hoped for. If you have time and feel like adding a review, that would be better still.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hadrien View Post
I've added your book to the Apocalypse/Post-Apocalypse list Richard: http://www.feedbooks.com/list/64
Thanks again for all your help, Hadrien.
Richard Herley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2008, 12:11 PM   #62
jaxx6166
Wizard
jaxx6166 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jaxx6166 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jaxx6166 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jaxx6166 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jaxx6166 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jaxx6166 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jaxx6166 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jaxx6166 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jaxx6166 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jaxx6166 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jaxx6166 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: 350, iPad, PW
Vampire Earth started out real well, I lost interest around book #4 though. Any reason to pick it back up?

Also - if no one else has suggested it you could try all of the novels of "The Change" by SM Stirling.

All are available as ebooks too =) Dies the Fire is a great intro. to the "oh snap now what" mentality. I'm currently plugging through "The Scourge of God" and its interesting to see the transition from "The Change" to "The Change" plus 20.

Another good series to try is "Mistborn" which is sort of PA in a fantasy world (what if evil wins) and the current "Genesis of Shannara" trilogy that Terry Brooks just completed. (Armageddon's Children / The Elves of Cinta / The Gypsy Morph )
jaxx6166 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-08-2008, 04:24 AM   #63
izmi
A little bit crazy.
izmi began at the beginning.

Device: Asus F80S.
The Handmaid's Tale by Margaret Atwood is also a brilliant P-A novel. It is about a woman name Offred, one of the few fertile women in a now descimated and heavily fundamental christian America.
izmi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2008, 05:05 AM   #64
HappyMartin
Martin Kristiansen
HappyMartin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HappyMartin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HappyMartin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HappyMartin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HappyMartin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HappyMartin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HappyMartin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HappyMartin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HappyMartin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HappyMartin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HappyMartin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle International Ipad 2
Actually CNN at the moment is starting to sound increasingly like a post apocalyptic novel in progress.
HappyMartin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2008, 06:47 AM   #65
Over
Wizard
Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW, Samsung Galaxy Note Pro 12.2", OnePlus 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaxx6166 View Post
Vampire Earth started out real well, I lost interest around book #4 though. Any reason to pick it back up?
I don't know, as I've only read the first 4 books!

But I have the other two pBooks already waiting to be read. And I will do so as soon as I finish reading Elantris, from the same author of Mistborn.
Over is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-08-2008, 01:29 PM   #66
mores
Guru
mores knows the air-speed velocity of an unladen swallow.mores knows the air-speed velocity of an unladen swallow.mores knows the air-speed velocity of an unladen swallow.mores knows the air-speed velocity of an unladen swallow.mores knows the air-speed velocity of an unladen swallow.mores knows the air-speed velocity of an unladen swallow.mores knows the air-speed velocity of an unladen swallow.mores knows the air-speed velocity of an unladen swallow.mores knows the air-speed velocity of an unladen swallow.mores knows the air-speed velocity of an unladen swallow.mores knows the air-speed velocity of an unladen swallow.

Device: iPhone
I just want to subscribe to this thread for research when I'm in need for new books to read.
mores is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2008, 10:14 AM   #67
izmi
A little bit crazy.

I keep thinking of good novels to reccommend in this genre, or in a genre extremely close to it. I must admit that I have something of an obsessesion with post-apocalyptic and dystopian literature.

Anyway, a good author to try is Greg Bear. Blood Music is a.m.a.z.i.n.g. It's all about a viral change to the entire planet, and although it's now 23 years old, it is still simply fantastic. I didn't even realise it was as old as I am until I checked the publication date. I also really enjoyed the Darwin series; Darwin's Radio and Darwin's Children. It is not so much P-A or dystopian, they are somewhat similar, and well worth the read.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard Herly
If it's post-apocalyptic you're after, can I puff my own latest novel, Refuge?
I have read the first few chapters of this book, and am quite enjoying it.

Last edited by izmi; 10-10-2008 at 05:28 PM.
Old 10-10-2008, 10:16 AM   #68
astra
The Introvert
astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony Reader PRS-650 & 505 & 500
On another forum I have found the following list (not only ebook):

Margaret Atwood - Oryx and Crake
David Brin - The Postman
Terry Brooks - Armegeddon's Children
Philip K. Dick - Dr. Bloodmoney
Philip K. Dick - The Penultimate Truth
Hal Duncan - The Book of All Hours Duology
General John Hackett - Third World War
James Herbert - Rats Trilogy
Stephen King - The Stand
Stephen King - The Dark Tower Series
Stephen King - The Cell
Richard Matheson - I am Legend
Robert McCammon - Swansong
Cormac McCarthy - The Road
Paul J McAuley - Fairyland
Walter M. Miller - A Canticle for Leibowitz
Larry Niven & Jerry Pournelle - Lucifers Hammer
Jeff Vandermeer - Veniss Underground
Alastair Reynolds - Chasm City
Jeff Somers - The Electric Church
George R. Stewart - Earth Abides
S. M. Stirling - Dies the Fire
S. M. Stirling - Island in the Sea of Time
S. M. Stirling - Snow Brother (the first of the Fifth Millinium series)
Patrick Tilley - Amtrack Wars Series
Roger Zelazny - Damnation Alley
astra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2008, 11:16 AM   #69
Gibbo
Guru
Gibbo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gibbo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gibbo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gibbo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gibbo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gibbo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gibbo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gibbo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gibbo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gibbo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gibbo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Galaxy Tab A (2019) - iPhone 11 - KA1 - Onyx Boox Nova Pro
Quote:
Originally Posted by izmi View Post
Anyway, a good author to try is Greg Bear. Blood Money is a.m.a.z.i.n.g. It's all about a viral change to the entire planet, and although it's now 23 years old, it is still simply fantastic. I didn't even realise it was as old as I am until I checked the publication date.
I think you meant Blood Music, right?
Gibbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2008, 01:47 PM   #70
rwtreptow
rwtreptow began at the beginning.

Device: Dell AXIM X51v
Check out the Change Series by S.M. Sterling

I just finished book 1: The Sunrise Lands

It's a good twist with demise of high-technology and reversion to middle ages tech
rwtreptow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2008, 02:30 PM   #71
Sparrow
Wizard
Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Palm TX, CyBook Gen3
Quote:
Originally Posted by rwtreptow View Post
It's a good twist with demise of high-technology and reversion to middle ages tech
John Cristopher wrote a couple of excellent (young adult) trilogies on the same theme - 'Tripods' and 'the Prince in Waiting'.
Sparrow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2008, 03:35 PM   #72
ZenEngineer
Connoisseur
ZenEngineer has learned how to buy an e-book online

Device: Sony PRS-505
Quote:
Originally Posted by rwtreptow View Post
Check out the Change Series by S.M. Sterling

I just finished book 1: The Sunrise Lands

Actually, Dies The Fire is the first book in that series. The Sunrise Lands is 4th book in the series and begins the tie-in to an even earlier series that started with Island In The Sea Of Time.
ZenEngineer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2008, 05:28 PM   #73
izmi
A little bit crazy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gibbo View Post
I think you meant Blood Music, right?
Why yes, I did. That'll teach me for posting at absurd hours in the morning. Thanks.
Old 10-13-2008, 10:55 AM   #74
dadioflex
Dyslexic Count
dadioflex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dadioflex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dadioflex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dadioflex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dadioflex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dadioflex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dadioflex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dadioflex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dadioflex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dadioflex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dadioflex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Palm TX, Advent Vega, iPad, iPod Touch, Kindle
Edit.

Last edited by dadioflex; 12-16-2010 at 04:20 AM.
dadioflex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2008, 05:07 PM   #75
jrod
jrod began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS-505
How about Alas, Babylon by Pat Frank.
jrod is offline   Reply With Quote