Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations

Notices

Old 05-23-2008, 07:29 AM   #31
Lemurion
eReader
Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Note 5; PW3; Nook HD+; ChuWi Hi12; iPad
Quote:
Originally Posted by wayrad View Post
Leigh Brackett, The Long Tomorrow
David Palmer, Emergence
Sterling Lanier, Hiero's Journey
I second David Palmer's Emergence and the very long awaited sequel is being serialized in Analog (available electronically from Fictionwise) starting with the July issue which should be out any day now.

Also (and I don't know if this is available electronically) look for Pat Frank's Alas, Babylon, one of the best in the genre, I've read it a dozen times over the last three decades. Yes it's dated, but it's very very good.
Lemurion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2008, 05:18 PM   #32
nekokami
fruminous edugeek
nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad, eBw 1150
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lemurion View Post
I second David Palmer's Emergence and the very long awaited sequel is being serialized in Analog (available electronically from Fictionwise) starting with the July issue which should be out any day now.
Wow! Now I'll need to subscribe to Analog (via Fictionwise, of course)! I always wondered what ever happened to Palmer. Two books, then poof, gone.
nekokami is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-24-2008, 08:46 AM   #33
wayrad
Fanatic
wayrad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wayrad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wayrad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wayrad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wayrad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wayrad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wayrad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wayrad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wayrad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wayrad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wayrad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: HTC One M8
One could almost argue one book, then poof...Threshold was pretty bad, I thought. Great news about the Emergence sequel, though! I hope he's back on form.
wayrad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2008, 09:08 AM   #34
Lobolover
Gorosei
Lobolover has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Lobolover has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Lobolover has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Lobolover has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Microsoft Word
Well,Hodgsons night land is a very interesting,if somewhat LONG and a tad bit tedious fantastic book of a post apocalyptic sort.
Lobolover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2008, 11:26 AM   #35
nekokami
fruminous edugeek
nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
One could almost argue one book, then poof...Threshold was pretty bad, I thought. Great news about the Emergence sequel, though! I hope he's back on form.
No argument there. I admit I'm somewhat hesitant to read Schrödinger's Frisbee, assuming he finds a publisher. I'll try Tracking, though, because I liked Emergence so much.
Advert
Old 05-26-2008, 03:56 PM   #36
wayrad
Fanatic
wayrad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wayrad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wayrad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wayrad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wayrad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wayrad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wayrad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wayrad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wayrad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wayrad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wayrad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nekokami View Post
No argument there. I admit I'm somewhat hesitant to read Schrödinger's Frisbee, assuming he finds a publisher. I'll try Tracking, though, because I liked Emergence so much.
Schrodinger's Frisbee? I thought the new titles were Tracking and Special Education - of course titles often do change before publication. I'm kind of wondering where he will go with the Emergence storyline now.

Last edited by wayrad; 05-27-2008 at 08:01 PM.
Old 05-26-2008, 06:09 PM   #37
ZenEngineer
Connoisseur
ZenEngineer has learned how to buy an e-book online

Device: Sony PRS-505
Quote:
Originally Posted by jfrancis View Post
Hi Guys,

I was wondering if anyone had a line on some good post-apocalyptic novels (i.e. post WW III, plague, meteor strike, etc.) that can be had in eBook format? I've really liked Stephen King's "The Stand," and I enjoyed "Lucifer's Hammer" (Larry Niven) as well. I've also read Cormac McCarthy's "The Road" and it was okay, too.

Thanks for any suggestions!

Regards,
John Francis
Check out the fiction section of Frugal Squirrels:
http://www.frugalsquirrels.com/vb/fo...play.php?f=131

There is a lot of Post Apocalyptic World fiction, especially by Jerry D. Young, that tries to inform and teach about preparedness and disaster. All the stories are HTML, but you should be able to save and convert to your reader format.
ZenEngineer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2008, 02:58 PM   #38
nekokami
fruminous edugeek

Quote:
Schrodinger's Frisbee? I thought the new titles were Tracking and Special Education - of course titles often do change before publication. I'm kind of wondering where he will go with the Emergence storyline now. (edited to remove spoilers)
Um... spoilers?

Schrödinger's Frisbee is a different book that he just finished. Not even picked up by a publisher yet, much less for sale.
Old 05-27-2008, 08:02 PM   #39
wayrad
Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by nekokami View Post
Um... spoilers?
Oops, sorry; I've edited my post.
Old 06-02-2008, 05:57 PM   #40
pshrynk
Beepbeep n beebeep, yeah!
pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iThingie, KmkII, I miss Zelda!
Quote:
Originally Posted by slayda View Post
My favorite & the first book I read when I was young that started me really reading is Starman's Son, 2250 AD (©1952) by Andre Norton.
Love that book and would do pretty much anything to find an e-copy!
pshrynk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2008, 08:05 PM   #41
The Skwerl
Super Skwerl
The Skwerl doesn't litterThe Skwerl doesn't litterThe Skwerl doesn't litter

Device: Sony 500
James Axler - The Deathland Series Those are fun to read.
The Skwerl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2008, 11:10 PM   #42
Vesper
Addict
Vesper can extract oil from cheeseVesper can extract oil from cheeseVesper can extract oil from cheeseVesper can extract oil from cheeseVesper can extract oil from cheeseVesper can extract oil from cheeseVesper can extract oil from cheeseVesper can extract oil from cheeseVesper can extract oil from cheese

Device: Sony PRS-350, Cybook Gen3, Palm T|X
Quote:
Originally Posted by pshrynk View Post
Love that book and would do pretty much anything to find an e-copy!
Hmm...what should I ask for?

http://www.webscription.net/p-97-darkness-and-dawn.aspx

DrS
Vesper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2008, 07:21 PM   #43
Tenpit
Tenpit began at the beginning.

Device: Pocket PC
Just finished reading 'Last Light' by Alex Scarrow.

A gripping read and definitely one I would recommend. Not sure if it is available as an eBook, had a quick scan and can't find it.
Tenpit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2008, 07:29 PM   #44
mazzeltjes
Addict
mazzeltjes doesn't littermazzeltjes doesn't litter

Device: sony 505
Quote:
Leigh Brackett, The Long Tomorrow
David Palmer, Emergence
Sterling Lanier, Hiero's Journey
Sterling Lanier, Hiero's Journey and it's sequel
The Unforsaken Hiero are among my faves
It's a pity Lanier never finished the series
Eternity Road by Jack McDevitt
is a pretty good story as well

Last edited by mazzeltjes; 09-04-2008 at 07:31 PM.
mazzeltjes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2008, 08:45 PM   #45
Robotech_Master
Fanatic
Robotech_Master ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robotech_Master ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robotech_Master ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robotech_Master ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robotech_Master ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robotech_Master ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robotech_Master ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robotech_Master ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robotech_Master ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robotech_Master ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robotech_Master ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I am seriously surprised nobody's yet mentioned the Survivalist series by Jerry Ahern. It's a really amazing series, and manages to transcend the "men's adventure" stuff it starts out as into honest-to-gawd science-fictional territory. Now, granted, the politics of the author are somewhat rightist or libertarianish and they show through in his writing, but the story is compelling enough that it's forgivable for the most part.

Sadly, I can't find anywhere they are currently legitimately available as e-books. I snapped them all up when eReader was selling them (back when it called itself Peanut Press) but the only stuff that comes up on Google right now is torrents.
Robotech_Master is offline   Reply With Quote