Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 03-29-2012, 12:11 AM   #1
Libbard
Libbard began at the beginning.

Device: Libbard
Talking A little help with AA option K touch!

Hey every one

I just found out about this forum and I must say.. I'm very thankful for all the help and work you do for us.. It's just amazing

A'm an Arabic guy.. and read in this lang on Kindle by PDF files.

back with Kindle 3G I had no problem with the reading for book that made by picture.. with the AA option.

Now there is no AA option, I made Jailbreak and grab launcher and fonthack.

none of this has this option I need.

Could any one tell me how to have it again.. and make the reading easier.

Regards,

Fahad
Libbard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2012, 04:40 AM   #2
JustAMan
Groupie
JustAMan doesn't litterJustAMan doesn't litter

Device: Kindle Touch
I may be ignorant, but what is "AA option"?
JustAMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-29-2012, 04:47 AM   #3
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
If you're ignorant then so am I. I've never heard of an "AA option" either, I'm afraid.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2012, 05:16 AM   #4
hostar
Zealot
hostar is a glorious beacon of lighthostar is a glorious beacon of lighthostar is a glorious beacon of lighthostar is a glorious beacon of lighthostar is a glorious beacon of lighthostar is a glorious beacon of lighthostar is a glorious beacon of lighthostar is a glorious beacon of lighthostar is a glorious beacon of lighthostar is a glorious beacon of lighthostar is a glorious beacon of light

Device: Kindle 4 non-touch
Maybe Libbard means "Change font size" option ... there are "Aa"s.
Spoiler:

Last edited by hostar; 03-29-2012 at 05:20 AM.
hostar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2012, 05:55 AM   #5
hawhill
Wizard
hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite, Kobo Mini
Libbard: I think you mean the "Aa" key, but what specific function of it are you referring to? I don't understand that "book that made by picture" you mention, sorry. Can you elaborate a bit on this? As far as I know, the "Aa" key on K3 with the default software allows too:
- set font
- set font size
- set line spacing
- set text width
- set reader orientation (portrait/landscape)

Is it any of this you are searching for? If you refer to setting it to "landscape" viewing, I think there's a hack in this forum floating around. IIRC, it has some small glitches though, depending on the firmware version.
hawhill is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-29-2012, 07:14 AM   #6
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: No K1, PW2, KV, KOA
Book made by picture:
A PDF file with an embedded (often scanned) image of the book page.
knc1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2012, 08:48 AM   #7
geekmaster
Carpe diem, c'est la vie.
geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K1 to PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by knc1 View Post
Book made by picture:
A PDF file with an embedded (often scanned) image of the book page.
If you use the "Aa" key to change font size, it only affects text. PDF books that contain text that was extracted for photos of book pages (OCR) can have the font size of the text adjusted with "Aa", but any text that is embedded in a picture image of a book page cannot have its fonts adjusted. You can only change the size by resizing the entire image of the book page, but that is not a function of the "Aa" font options.

Last edited by geekmaster; 03-29-2012 at 08:51 AM.
geekmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2012, 09:21 AM   #8
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by geekmaster View Post
If you use the "Aa" key to change font size, it only affects text. PDF books that contain text that was extracted for photos of book pages (OCR) can have the font size of the text adjusted with "Aa", but any text that is embedded in a picture image of a book page cannot have its fonts adjusted. You can only change the size by resizing the entire image of the book page, but that is not a function of the "Aa" font options.
Your learning fast.
Old 03-29-2012, 10:14 AM   #9
geekmaster
Carpe diem, c'est la vie.
geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K1 to PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by knc1 View Post
You're learning fast.
I was just adding details to show how to actually *use* the information in your brief informative reply, for the benefit of the original poster.

I am always learning fast in many fields of knowledge, so in general, you are correct, but in the context of my post, your reply was either a "backhanded compliment" (an insult disguised as a compliment), or an equally annoying habit of "aggressive listening" (click the link).

Last edited by geekmaster; 03-29-2012 at 03:22 PM.
geekmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2012, 02:49 PM   #10
Libbard
Libbard began at the beginning.

Device: Libbard
Thanks everyone really made big smile at my face for this attention

Ok.

I didn't really have an 3g Kindle to show you What specific I need

But hawhill mention it here "- set font size"

If I remember very well then it's was this option

I just want to add more bold for the font of an (OCR) book.

I well add a picture of a book for Dan Brawn I was read it very well in 3g without zooming in and back every time!

here with Kindle touch it's just one option for contrast and it's do nothing!

there is the pictures of What I need the help for

here a picture of an OCR book

https://dl.dropbox.com/u/24697215/Ph...-29-18-214.jpg

https://dl.dropbox.com/u/24697215/Ph...-30-18-682.jpg

https://dl.dropbox.com/u/24697215/Ph...-30-56-186.jpg

an there is for book made by Word (Office)

https://dl.dropbox.com/u/24697215/Ph...-29-54-850.jpg

https://dl.dropbox.com/u/24697215/Ph...-31-18-605.jpg

I'm very sorry for my bad English and bad photo.. it's just something I do it very quick and without prepare

I didn't made the picture show here because it's very large and it well distort the thread

Sorry

Last edited by Libbard; 03-29-2012 at 02:52 PM.
Libbard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2012, 03:22 PM   #11
dwig
Wizard
dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Current:Surface Go & Kindle 3 - Retired: DellV8p, Clie UX50, ...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Libbard View Post

I well add a picture of a book for Dan Brawn I was read it very well in 3g without zooming in and back every time!
On the K3 when displaying PDFs the [Aa] key gives the following options:

zoom level - five levels: "fit-to-screen" "150%" "200%" "300%" "actual size"
Contrast - five levels from "lightest" to "darkest"
Screen Rotation - four orientations

The "contrast" settings are quite valuable when dealing with small and/or light text.
dwig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2012, 03:37 PM   #12
knc1
Going Viral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Libbard View Post
Thanks everyone really made big smile at my face for this attention

Ok.

Your examples showed the problem very well.

I have read that the K3 and the KT have different grayscale renditions.

That might be the problem you are seeing here, where the differences in the screens make the contrast levels much higher with the K3 than with the KT.

Perhaps one of our KT experts can say how to reduce the number of grayscale levels (and/or increase the contrast - same result) of your Kindle Touch.

If this is a PDF format book, perhaps it could also be processed "off-kindle" for a sharper image.