Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 01-14-2010, 03:19 PM   #16
spideog
Connoisseur
spideog will become famous soon enoughspideog will become famous soon enoughspideog will become famous soon enoughspideog will become famous soon enoughspideog will become famous soon enoughspideog will become famous soon enough

Device: PRS-300
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dusty View Post
I had to come here to see why it would not let me disconnect.
All is well and working.
If you give the details that you found to fix your issue and link to it in this thread, then someone else can come along and put all these nuggets of information together into a useful wiki page for the rest of us n00bs.
spideog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2010, 03:29 PM   #17
Dusty
Connoisseur
Dusty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dusty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dusty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dusty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dusty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dusty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dusty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dusty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dusty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dusty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dusty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: sony 300, T1
Quote:
Originally Posted by spideog View Post
If you give the details that you found to fix your issue and link to it in this thread, then someone else can come along and put all these nuggets of information together into a useful wiki page for the rest of us n00bs.
The information a I found was not to worry about it and simply disconnect. A file transfer over a USB does not take more than a minute.
I knew this beforehand but was hoping for a workaround.

"If at first you don't succeed... You probably need a bigger hammer"
Dusty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2010, 05:16 PM   #18
omk3
Wizard
omk3 can name that ebook in five wordsomk3 can name that ebook in five wordsomk3 can name that ebook in five wordsomk3 can name that ebook in five wordsomk3 can name that ebook in five wordsomk3 can name that ebook in five wordsomk3 can name that ebook in five wordsomk3 can name that ebook in five wordsomk3 can name that ebook in five wordsomk3 can name that ebook in five wordsomk3 can name that ebook in five words

Device: pocketbook 360, kindle 4
So, any ideas how to organize this? I'm certainly no expert, but I'd like to help any way I can.
omk3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2010, 07:10 PM   #19
spideog
Connoisseur
spideog will become famous soon enoughspideog will become famous soon enoughspideog will become famous soon enoughspideog will become famous soon enoughspideog will become famous soon enoughspideog will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by omk3 View Post
So, any ideas how to organize this? I'm certainly no expert, but I'd like to help any way I can.
Get together links to the solutions for a couple of the more common queries that keep poping up here and listed in the OP.
Create a "Sony Reader Troubleshooting Guide" page in the wiki, or something named along similar lines.
Re-write the fixes that get found in the forum and put them on the wiki page. Copy and paste from the forums probably won't make sense a lot of the time
Add more stuff.
Old 01-14-2010, 07:42 PM   #20
happy_terd
Banned
happy_terd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.happy_terd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.happy_terd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.happy_terd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.happy_terd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.happy_terd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.happy_terd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.happy_terd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.happy_terd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.happy_terd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.happy_terd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS 420
Love this idea. It would cut down on a lot of the help me threads imo.
happy_terd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2010, 07:49 PM   #21
Elfwreck
Grand Sorcerer
Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Touch HD3 (Past: Kobo Mini, PEZ, PRS-505, Clié)
I want to help! And then I realized I probably can't, really... I don't use the Sony software, don't use ADE, don't have the newer Readers that seem to have these occasional problems.

Maybe the troubleshooting guide could include a brief section on "what do do if you want to ignore the Sony store & Adobe entirely, and only read DRM-free ebooks on your reader."
Elfwreck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2010, 11:23 PM   #22
Jim Lester
Evangelist
Jim Lester is less competitive than you.Jim Lester is less competitive than you.Jim Lester is less competitive than you.Jim Lester is less competitive than you.Jim Lester is less competitive than you.Jim Lester is less competitive than you.Jim Lester is less competitive than you.Jim Lester is less competitive than you.Jim Lester is less competitive than you.Jim Lester is less competitive than you.Jim Lester is less competitive than you.

Device: Nook HD, Nook for Windows 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by dreams View Post
Great idea, grooks.

Explain:
* what ADE is and about it being a separate program than the Reader Library. (Adobe ID given)
* .asm files
* the order to install ADE and Reader Library on clean install
* what to do after you have Reader Library but not ADE installed?
that's .acsm files (Adobe Content Server Message)

I usually explain it as a "claim check" given to you by the store or library, which allows you to download the real file.

grooks,
Let me know if you want me to proof the guide before you put it up.

Last edited by Jim Lester; 01-14-2010 at 11:39 PM.
Jim Lester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2010, 11:33 PM   #23
happy_terd
Banned
happy_terd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.happy_terd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.happy_terd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.happy_terd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.happy_terd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.happy_terd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.happy_terd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.happy_terd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.happy_terd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.happy_terd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.happy_terd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

explain where to find or how to get .acsm files (Adobe Content Server Message) when people like me dont see anything in the digital editions folder.
Old 01-14-2010, 11:40 PM   #24
dreams
It's about the umbrella
dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony 505| K Fire | KK 3G+Wi-Fi | iPhone 3Gs |Vista 32-bit Hm Prem w/FF
Quote:
Originally Posted by dreams View Post
Explain:
* what ADE is and about it being a separate program than the Reader Library. (Adobe ID given)
* .asm files
* the order to install ADE and Reader Library on clean install
* what to do after you have Reader Library but not ADE installed?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Lester View Post
that's .acsm files (Adobe Content Server Message)

I usually explain it as a "claim check" given to you by the store or library, which allows you to download the real file.

Let me know if you want me to proof the guide before you put it up.
oops, sorry.... see, that's why we need it all in one place.

It would be nice to have you make sure the information is correct. Thank you.
dreams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2010, 11:58 PM   #25
Jim Lester
Evangelist
Jim Lester is less competitive than you.Jim Lester is less competitive than you.Jim Lester is less competitive than you.Jim Lester is less competitive than you.Jim Lester is less competitive than you.Jim Lester is less competitive than you.Jim Lester is less competitive than you.Jim Lester is less competitive than you.Jim Lester is less competitive than you.Jim Lester is less competitive than you.Jim Lester is less competitive than you.

Device: Nook HD, Nook for Windows 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by happy_terd View Post
explain where to find or how to get .acsm files (Adobe Content Server Message) when people like me dont see anything in the digital editions folder.
This gets a bit tougher because it depends upon the OS, the browser (or the other software used) to access the store, the preferences for the browser, and exactly what happened when (or if) the .acsm file got downloaded.

It's supposed to go something like this. The site generates a link* and clicking on the link will cause the .acsm file to get downloaded. Where it gets downloaded and if ADE will start will depend upon the browser, the default download directory for the browser, etc... and I'm not sure enough of the various browsers to state authoritatively what all the defaults are, but generally it's on your desktop folder in Windows, and either on your desktop or more recently in your Downloads folder on Mac.

Then also depending on your preferences and the browser ADE or Sony EBL (if you have it installed) will be launched. There is a good discussion of both Safari for Mac and Opera problems and workarounds in the ADE 1.7.1 Release Notes

One more quirk, ADE on Windows will delete the .acsm file after opening it. ADE on Mac will leave it alone.

--

* There are slightly slicker ways to start this process by using Flash to talk directly to ADE - see Adobe's sample library for an example.

Last edited by Jim Lester; 01-15-2010 at 09:35 AM.
Jim Lester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2010, 01:46 AM   #26
happy_terd
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Lester View Post
This gets a bit tougher
I concur...which is my reasoning on why a dedicated troubleshooting guide would come in handy. If anyone can find an answer for most of our headaches it is you guys.
Old 01-15-2010, 06:59 AM   #27
spideog
Connoisseur

I've just taken the topics from grooks OP so far and made a basic template page to start from in the wiki.

https://wiki.mobileread.com/wiki/Sony...shooting_Guide

[moderator note - the information can be found in the MobileRead wiki here also in a sticky in the Sony forum here. The new wiki page name is "Sony Reader Start-Up and Reset Guide"]

Next step, fill in the blanks and add more questions and answers. Worry about the layout of it later once there is more information accumulated...

Last edited by dreams; 12-27-2010 at 02:40 AM. Reason: add mod note about page name change and new links.
Old 01-15-2010, 08:29 AM   #28
MAT160
Enthusiast
MAT160 has learned how to read e-booksMAT160 has learned how to read e-booksMAT160 has learned how to read e-booksMAT160 has learned how to read e-booksMAT160 has learned how to read e-booksMAT160 has learned how to read e-booksMAT160 has learned how to read e-booksMAT160 has learned how to read e-books

Device: PRS-600
To: omk3
THANK YOU!!!!
I couldn't get my books to transfer fom my computer to my reader
Your info. on resetting it did the trick!
MAT160 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2010, 08:42 AM   #29
omk3
Wizard
omk3 can name that ebook in five wordsomk3 can name that ebook in five wordsomk3 can name that ebook in five wordsomk3 can name that ebook in five wordsomk3 can name that ebook in five wordsomk3 can name that ebook in five wordsomk3 can name that ebook in five wordsomk3 can name that ebook in five wordsomk3 can name that ebook in five wordsomk3 can name that ebook in five wordsomk3 can name that ebook in five words

Device: pocketbook 360, kindle 4
You're welcome, MAT160
Resetting is the solution to most weird little problems, it seems.

----

Okay, I'm waiting to see what Lilly (and Grooks?) have prepared, so that we don't do the same things over and over again.

But the "borrowing library books" entry should be easy, assuming we have already explained about authorizing and ADE:

To borrow library books you need to have ADE installed, to have authorized your reader, and to be a member of a library that supports ebook loaning. You can hopefully find one near you here: http://search.overdrive.com/
You can browse your library's catalog and choose the books you want to borrow (or place on hold if they are already borrowed by someone else, in which case you will be notified when they are returned), just like in an ebook store. Rules about how many books you may borrow and for how long may vary. Download and open your books with ADE. They will appear under "Borrowed" in library view, with a sign on the cover stating how many days you have left. You can load the books on your reader your usual preferred way. On the reader you will see a little clock next to the title, reminding you again of the days you have left. If you are done early, you can "return" the books early through ADE (click on the small arrow next to the book's cover, and select "return borrowed item"). Don't do this too often though, or you may raise alarms and be blocked from borrowing more for some time period.
You can borrow epub and pdf books from your library, but be careful to never have both epub and pdf library books on your reader at the same time, as there is a conflict and you will not be able to access them.
After the borrowing period is over, you will not have access to your borrowed books any more, and you can delete them.

Feel free to add and edit as you please, and correct any mistakes

Last edited by omk3; 01-15-2010 at 09:13 AM.
omk3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2010, 09:20 AM   #30
rvdparis
Connoisseur
rvdparis doesn't litterrvdparis doesn't litter

Device: Kindle Touch + iPad 1 + iPhone 4
Good idea!!! I mean, excellent idea!

One might add:

-What to do in case of a crash/erasure/reset (what to back up, where it is, how to prepare)
-How the Sony Software manages your books (how to get yourself back to where you were before a crash)
-How to get books you download OUTSIDE of Sony software into the Reader software, where they are stored, how to change locations if desired (not as obvious as one thinks)
-How to avoid the Sony software (using Calibre or some such)
-What to do with annotations (how to access them outside the software by naming them .svg files, etc)
-Step by step (quick and long versions) from getting the Reader out of the box to sipping a latte and reading.
-MAYBE where to search/buy ebooks for the Reader, but that may be off topic
-How to work with the Reader's "peculiarities" (light or no light, glare, stylus or no stylus, PDF optimization for the Reader, best battery charging practices, best covers, best SD cards/Memory sticks, ---> all of these would require some sort of polling/forum set up so people could comment on them, or a scan of these mobileread forums for answers)
-Different usage scenarios (casual reader, heavy reader, student, researcher, writer, academic, technician, etc).

my 2 Francs, good luck!!! (would help, but writing my phd at the moment, well not at this EXACT moment)

R
rvdparis is offline   Reply With Quote