Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 01-30-2009, 11:59 AM   #1
FligMupple
Enthusiast
FligMupple doesn't litterFligMupple doesn't litter

Device: Kindle DX
Red slower than Silver?

I bought a silver 505 in Dec. 2007, and updated the firmware a few months ago when that came out.

I recently dropped it (the reader, not the firmware... well both I guess) and totally ruined the display.

Today I replaced it and bought the red 505.

But... the page-turning seems different on this one, kinda worse. It starts with old and new page text overlapping. I don't think that's how it was on the silver 505. This new reader has the latest firmware already installed, so is this all in my active imagination? Or could this new red 505 be a bit slower (and dimmer) than the older silver one?
FligMupple is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2009, 12:08 PM   #2
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Highly improbably that there would be any difference in the screen.

As far as overlapping pages are concerned, are you reading in "landscape" mode? If so, it's normal to have some overlap between the "top" and "bottom" halves of the page.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-30-2009, 01:13 PM   #3
FligMupple
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
Highly improbably that there would be any difference in the screen.

As far as overlapping pages are concerned, are you reading in "landscape" mode? If so, it's normal to have some overlap between the "top" and "bottom" halves of the page.
I meant the overlapping of text flashing when in the process of changing the page.

I think I remember the new firmware improving page-turning (slightly faster and less flashy), but it seems now it's worse on this new red one.
Old 01-30-2009, 01:19 PM   #4
RickyMaveety
Holy S**T!!!
RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.

Device: Kindle and iPad
I'm sure there is no difference between a red or a silver one. But that doesn't mean it's your imagination. There might be something not quite right about the screen in that particular unit.
RickyMaveety is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2009, 03:33 PM   #5
JanetCinNC
Groupie
JanetCinNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JanetCinNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JanetCinNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JanetCinNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JanetCinNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JanetCinNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JanetCinNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JanetCinNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JanetCinNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JanetCinNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JanetCinNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony 650 in red, Sony PRS-600 in red, Sony PRS-505 in red, iPad 2
I own both a silver one and a red one. They seem the same to me, except that the red one is much more beautiful!
JanetCinNC is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-30-2009, 04:46 PM   #6
drmathprog
Connoisseur
drmathprog began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS-505
Blue, of course, is by far the fastest! :-)
drmathprog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2009, 04:58 PM   #7
Valloric
Created Sigil, FlightCrew
Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by drmathprog View Post
Blue, of course, is by far the fastest! :-)
Oh not this again.
Valloric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2009, 06:06 PM   #8
lilac_jive
Grand Sorcerer
lilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud of

Device: PRS-505
Is your Red one out in the cold? My Reader does this when it is cold.
lilac_jive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2009, 01:46 PM   #9
FligMupple
Enthusiast

I brought the red one and the screen-ruined silver one to the Sony store where I bought the new one yesterday. In the bright lights there it didn't look much (if any) dimmer. But I insisted om trying a second new red one, and the new red was PERFECT. The "ink" was noticeably darker, and white/gray background was noticeably lighter compared to both the first red one, and my original silver one. Plus, the page turning was the same as the silver one.

So, I'm very happy now with this new red one. Happy ending! (well, not really, I did just buy a new one for $300 after dropping a perfectly good reader the day before)

And, it seems there are slight variations in contrast between different 505 units.
Old 01-31-2009, 01:47 PM   #10
lilac_jive
Grand Sorcerer
lilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud of

Device: PRS-505
Quote:
Originally Posted by FligMupple View Post
I brought the red one and the screen-ruined silver one to the Sony store where I bought the new one yesterday. In the bright lights there it didn't look much (if any) dimmer. But I insisted om trying a second new red one, and the new red was PERFECT. The "ink" was noticeably darker, and white/gray background was noticeably lighter compared to both the first red one, and my original silver one. Plus, the page turning was the same as the silver one.

So, I'm very happy now with this new red one. Happy ending! (well, not really, I did just buy a new one for $300 after dropping a perfectly good reader the day before)

And, it seems there are slight variations in contrast between different 505 units.
Why did you buy another one? It sounds like the first red one is defective.
lilac_jive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2009, 02:43 PM   #11
giom
giom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.giom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.giom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.giom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.giom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.giom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.giom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.giom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.giom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.giom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.giom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: cybook or sony 505
Quote:
Originally Posted by lilac_jive View Post
Why did you buy another one? It sounds like the first red one is defective.
I think he bought a new one to replace the silver one that broke... But he didn't buy a second red one...
giom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2009, 12:01 AM   #12
ashadocat
ashadocat began at the beginning.

Device: sony 505
everyone know red is faster. just ask the space orcs...
ashadocat is offline   Reply With Quote