Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Formats > ePub

Notices

Old 01-09-2014, 03:55 AM   #1
Rufustank
Rufustank began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle/Nook/iPad/iPhone
Exclamation How to create epubs in Chinese that will display on a Nook?

I have been working on this issue for a lot of time and want to tap into the collective expertise of this forum.

We are publishing books that are in Chinese for Chinese learners. These books consist of about 70% Chinese characters. We have already published them for the Kindle and iBooks without incident, however they will not display on Nook devices.

I have spent weeks going through just about everything I can read about getting Chinese characters to display on a Nook but I just can't seem to figure it out. I have embedded the font and modified the CSS file in just about every way (manually and with Calibre) I can but I still cannot get any Chinese fonts to display.

Since these will be going out to every day people, hacking the Nook is not an option. I need to set the epub in such a way that it is just a download and read for the end user. Does anyone know exactly how to help with this? I know it has to do with embedding the font and maybe I'm just not doing it right. Thanks!
Rufustank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2014, 05:39 AM   #2
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Moved to the ePub forum.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-09-2014, 08:16 AM   #3
Toxaris
Wizard
Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-T1, Kobo Touch, Kobo Aura
You need to show some coding probably. The @font-face, the reference to the font-family in the class and the usage I guess. Be aware that a font-family reference in the body or html tag is ignored by several readers, I believe Nook one of them.
Another thing to check is the OS/2 version of the font. That has to be version 3 or lower. Higher does not always display. You can check the version via the font information via for example FontForge.
Toxaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2014, 09:18 PM   #4
oxen
Connoisseur
oxen , Klaatu Barada Niktu!oxen , Klaatu Barada Niktu!oxen , Klaatu Barada Niktu!oxen , Klaatu Barada Niktu!oxen , Klaatu Barada Niktu!oxen , Klaatu Barada Niktu!oxen , Klaatu Barada Niktu!oxen , Klaatu Barada Niktu!oxen , Klaatu Barada Niktu!oxen , Klaatu Barada Niktu!oxen , Klaatu Barada Niktu!

Device: Nook2, Kobo glo, Kobo mini, iPad3
You can try EpubSTAR, an EPUB2/3 Ebook generator. EpubSTAR support Nook, Sony, kobo and iOS's devices. It can support Multi languages:

•Interface regional languages switch (English, traditional Chinese, Chinese Simplified).
•Multi-language text mixed processing.
•Multi-language style mixed processing.

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=191270
http://www.by-smart.com/epubstar/epubstar.html
oxen is offline   Reply With Quote