Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 11-15-2013, 04:39 PM   #91
Graham
Wizard
Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo H20, Pixel 2, Samsung Chromebook Plus
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katsunami View Post
Of course. That is exactly what I do.
My point was that this was another area where hoops had to be jumped through.

Anyway, I'm glad it works for you. I think the discourse has helped illustrate the benefits and disadvadvantages of Chromebooks and cloud computing in general.

Graham
Graham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2013, 05:00 PM   #92
kennyc
The Dank Side of the Moon
kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle2; Kindle Fire
Quote:

Because I've heard of quite some people who place all of their trust in one single company or type of technology lose a lot of stuff. Haven't you heard of something.....Do a search and see.

I suggest you worry about your own self and systems.....sounds like you have quite a lot to worry about on your own with having to worry about everyone else as well.
kennyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-15-2013, 06:20 PM   #93
PatNY
Zennist
PatNY ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PatNY ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PatNY ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PatNY ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PatNY ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PatNY ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PatNY ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PatNY ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PatNY ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PatNY ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PatNY ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPod Touch, Sony PRS-350, Nook HD+ & HD
Quote:

Google is always nagging to use your own name on YouTube. They are nagging to get a Google+ account for YouTube, and have made it obligatory for Android if you want to leave app reviews. They're connecting GMail, Google+, YouTube, Docs, and Drive; "all of your data in one place".
You do not have to use your real name to leave reviews in the Play store. Go look at some of the recent reviews. Many don't use real names. I don't use my real name. One review I just saw was from "A Google User."

I won't buy a Chromebook not because it's from Google or because they mine data or incorporate cloud computing ... but rather because it can't run many programs I regularly rely on like Photoshop.

But I give Google a lot of credit for developing the thing which I think has a lot of appeal to some, especially older people who may only need to browse the web or do email.

--Pat
PatNY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2013, 06:21 PM   #94
kennyc
The Dank Side of the Moon
kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle2; Kindle Fire
Quote:
Originally Posted by PatNY View Post
You do not have to use your real name to leave reviews in the Play store. Go look at some of the recent reviews. Many don't use real names. I don't use my real name. One review I just saw was from "A Google User."

I won't buy a Chromebook not because it's from Google or because they mine data or incorporate cloud computing ... but rather because it can't run many programs I regularly rely on like Photoshop.

But I give Google a lot of credit for developing the thing which I think has a lot of appeal to some, especially older people who may only need to browse the web or do email.

--Pat
Yep. To each his own.
kennyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2013, 09:06 PM   #95
ApK
Award-Winning Participant
ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by PatNY View Post

--Pat
If you could tell me how to do that, I'd appreciate it. I thought I read the "Google user" thing was only for reviews posted before the g+ policy. G+ is one thing about Google I do not like and will not subscribe to.
ApK is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-15-2013, 10:05 PM   #96
Prestidigitweeze
Fledgling Demagogue
Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Clara HD; Oasis 2; Aura HD; iPad Air; PRS-350; Galaxy S7.
One aspect of the conversation that seems to get lost routinely: A Chromebox can easily be turned into an inexpensive Linux laptop. Wouldn't that resolve the privacy issue for those of us who care?

The snag that remains for me is the internal storage limitation. If I could add an SSD drive or even an mSD card, then everything would be parsnips. Sadly, I can't, so I'll probably wait for a discontinued ultrabook and dual-boot into Linux with that.

I used to love how quiet the Ubuntu environment was for writing. Nothing nagged you, unlike Windows, and the UI was gloriously unobtrusive.

Last edited by Prestidigitweeze; 11-15-2013 at 10:16 PM.
Prestidigitweeze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2013, 07:48 AM   #97
PatNY
Zennist
PatNY ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PatNY ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PatNY ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PatNY ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PatNY ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PatNY ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PatNY ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PatNY ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PatNY ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PatNY ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PatNY ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPod Touch, Sony PRS-350, Nook HD+ & HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by ApK View Post
If you could tell me how to do that, I'd appreciate it. I thought I read the "Google user" thing was only for reviews posted before the g+ policy. G+ is one thing about Google I do not like and will not subscribe to.
Well, I don't think you can get around the requirement of registering for G+ to leave reviews. What I did was simply put in another name when I registered. You can put in anything you want into the first and last name fields. It didn't impact any other part of Google that I use (gMail or Play store purchases) and you can always change it later if you find it does. When registering, also input as little information as possible. Once you register, the app isn't obtrusive in any way. No notifications or anything else. It just lets you do Play store reviews. I assume "A Google User" and those others clearly not using their real names did the same thing I did, but I don't know that for sure.

--Pat
PatNY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2013, 12:25 PM   #98
ApK
ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prestidigitweeze View Post
One aspect of the conversation that seems to get lost routinely: A Chromebox can easily be turned into an inexpensive Linux laptop. Wouldn't that resolve the privacy issue for those of us who care?
Not lost around here, certainly not lost in my post earlier when I mentioned this is exactly what I do.
But that's really not relevant to the conversation, because then the device is no longer a Chromebook in terms of system/solution. It's just a re-purpose of the hardware, like saying Coke is a good cola because the bottles can be used as plant watering devices.

Quote:
The snag that remains for me is the internal storage limitation. If I could add an SSD drive or even an mSD card, then everything would be parsnips.
You can. Many folks replace the storage device in their Chromebook, and/or augment it with an SD card.

ApK
Old 11-16-2013, 12:42 PM   #99
Katsunami
Grand Sorcerer
Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KPW1, KA1
Quote:
I used to love how quiet the Ubuntu environment was for writing. Nothing nagged you, unlike Windows, and the UI was gloriously unobtrusive.
?

That must have something to do with your configuration, or the software you run. Windows, or any software I have installed, doesn't nag me either, except on Wednesday after 17:00.

Quote:
It is. "A Google User" is a generic username for reviews written before G+ became mandatory.

Last edited by Katsunami; 11-16-2013 at 12:45 PM.
Katsunami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2013, 01:28 PM   #100
Prestidigitweeze
Fledgling Demagogue
Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Clara HD; Oasis 2; Aura HD; iPad Air; PRS-350; Galaxy S7.
Quote:
Not lost around here, certainly not lost in my post earlier when I mentioned this is exactly what I do.
Hence my use of the phrase part of the conversation that gets lost as opposed to, say, idea that was never mentioned. A topic that gets lost is one that gets overlooked, not one that has yet to be introduced.

Quote:
But that's really not relevant to the conversation, because then the device is no longer a Chromebook in terms of system/solution. It's just a re-purpose of the hardware, like saying Coke is a good cola because the bottles can be used as plant watering devices.
First, this is Mobile Read and tangents are not only allowed but welcome. Second, this is anything but a tangent.

By your logic, if repurposing hardware is irrelevant to discussions of an actual device, then no one in the B&N forums could recommend a rooted Nook, nor Kobo readers focus on custom patches for the Aura, nor Galaxy, Fire or Nexus users talk about running custom ROMs. Chromebook hardware has everything to do with its viability for people who object to aspects of the Chrome OS itself. I might want to visit Chrome on occasion without actually living within it day to day.

The article focuses on the software and so, for the most part, have we. But the topic is Chromebooks, not Chrome, so the laptop's ability to run Linux is not only worth noting but relevant.

Quote:
You can. Many folks replace the storage device in their Chromebook, and/or augment it with an SD card.
Good to ken. I hadn't read anything about Chromebooks being easy to take apart or having space to add additional storage. Since a Chromebook might only have 16-32GB internal storage, it doesn't necessarily follow there would space for a proper SSD inside unless someone like you confirmed it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katsumi
That must have something to do with your configuration, or the software you run. Windows, or any software I have installed, doesn't nag me either, except on Wednesday after 17:00.
It was characteristic of XP (which is what my netbook used) to ask constantly to upgrade or install items at inconvenient times -- as you were starting up Word or shutting down Windows, for example. Microsoft was an earnest relative who always banged on your bedroom door and never quite grasped you were wearing headphones and wanted to be left alone.

You might have been able to disable notifications or set them up, but MS was clearly hoping you never did. Whereas Ubuntu simply looked minimal, functioned reliably and left you alone from the get.

Last edited by Prestidigitweeze; 11-19-2013 at 01:31 PM.
Prestidigitweeze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2013, 01:50 PM   #101
Katsunami
Grand Sorcerer
Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KPW1, KA1
If you're talking about the taskbar bubbles in Windows XP, then you're right and I agree.

The guy that thought those up should be shot... along with the guy that decided to hide file extensions by default. I can't help wonder if they're the same fool. One actually NEEDED to get PowerToys onto a new rig ASAP to disable these things, or you would be swamped in bubbles and baffled about which file was which for weeks to come.

With Vista and 7 the bubbles are much less, but the file extension hiding persists...

Last edited by Katsunami; 11-16-2013 at 01:53 PM.
Katsunami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2013, 06:10 PM   #102
ApK

Quote:
Hence my use of the phrase part of the conversation that gets lost as opposed to, say, idea that was never mentioned. A topic that gets lost is one that gets overlooked, not one that has yet to be introduced.
Consider the possibility that it was not overlooked, but rather not pursued because it was not considered relevant.

Quote:
First, this is Mobile Read and tangents are not only allowed but welcome. Second, this is anything but a tangent.
Consider the idea that my disagreeing with you is not the same as me saying your post was not appropriate, and that maybe the attitude is uncalled for.
Quote:
But the topic is Chromebooks, not Chrome, so the laptop's ability to run Linux is not only worth noting but relevant.
I stated why I think participants in the thread may not find it relevant: It seems to be becsuse the conversation has been about the cloud-based Chromebook system. Not inappropriate, not overlooked, merely not what folks were talking about.
Obviously I think it is a very nice, investment preserving factor in buying a Chrome book.

Quote:
Good to ken. I hadn't read anything about Chromebooks being easy to take apart or having space to add additional storage. Since a Chromebook might only have 16-32GB internal storage, it doesn't necessarily follow there would space for a proper SSD inside unless someone like you confirmed it.
Yeah, between big fast SSDs and extra memory, some seem to have turned their Chromebooks into Linux ultrabooks.
ApK

Last edited by ApK; 11-16-2013 at 06:12 PM.
Old 11-16-2013, 10:19 PM   #103
frahse
occasional author
frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: Wandering God's glorious hills, valleys and plains.
Device: A Franklin BI (before Internet) was the first. I still have it.
Quote:

ApK
As I wait for the "right" Chromebook for myself, having bought my wife one already, I did "convert" an old Dell Laptop with a 30GB HDD into a Chromebook.

Just to try it out.
Maybe I should try Ubuntu too.

... just too little time.
frahse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2013, 06:12 AM   #104
caleb72
Indie Advocate
caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

My interest in ChromeOS isn't necessarily because I want to own and use a Chromebook, but because I saw some potential in developing for the OS if it really started to go bonkers.

Actually ChromeOS is the reason I started learning HTML5 and web development in general. My interest has broadened into cross-platform app development rather than just developing for ChromeOS, but I haven't lost site of my original ideas.

ChromeOS couldn't replace what I feel I need as a user at this time. But that doesn't mean I can't see the point. I'm still interested to see just how far Google wants to go with ChromeOS especially as far as it relates to Android.

But for me, as long as Windows8, Tizen, FirefoxOS, ChromeOS, Android, iOS, Blackberry 10 and web application development can all be powered by HTML, CSS, Javascript etc.. I'm thrilled.
caleb72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2013, 06:25 AM   #105
EowynCarter
Wizard
EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Cybooks; Sony PRS-T1
Not a big fan of ChromeOS either, but saying other's people choice is crap because it don't fill YOUR need is just stupid.
EowynCarter is offline   Reply With Quote