Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 09-23-2013, 12:57 PM   #16
xendula
eBookworm
xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 4B/K ~ Nexus 7 ~ Kindle Paperwhite 1&2 ~ iPad Air
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katsunami View Post
edit: a floor stand for a 200gr e-reader? Wow. People are getting REALLY lazy nowadays. Maybe they should also add a function that turns pages at exactly the speed you read with. Maybe they should integrate a "talking book feature" so you don't even need to read at all.

Oh, wait...
There have been quite a few postst from users looking for an ereader for their movement impaired family members here on MR, so I can see how a floorstand would be useful in similar cases.
xendula is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2013, 01:32 PM   #17
Katsunami
Grand Sorcerer
Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KPW1, KA1
Quote:
Originally Posted by xendula View Post
There have been quite a few postst from users looking for an ereader for their movement impaired family members here on MR, so I can see how a floorstand would be useful in similar cases.
Yes, that would be the one exception I think
Katsunami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2013, 03:11 PM   #18
Yolina
Wizard
Yolina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yolina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yolina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yolina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yolina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yolina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yolina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yolina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yolina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yolina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yolina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Voyage
Quote:
This reader basically covers all bases.
It does indeed - only let down by the design IMHO - it just looks rather bulky. I guess that it's unlikely that there's going to be any units in shops in the UK, and I'm loathe to order one because I just don't know how much hassle a return might be if it turns out that I don't like it.

But it is tempting if I'm honest Anyone taking a punt and getting one?
Yolina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2013, 03:37 PM   #19
Katsunami
Grand Sorcerer
Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yolina View Post
But it is tempting if I'm honest Anyone taking a punt and getting one?
"Dutch 6 inch eink reader"

Was that Dutch word in there intentional? That way, it actually sounds as a badly translated Dutch proverb And no, I'm not getting one. I like my KPW just fine as it is now.
Old 09-23-2013, 03:46 PM   #20
Yolina
Wizard
Yolina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yolina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yolina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yolina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yolina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yolina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yolina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yolina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yolina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yolina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yolina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:

Was that Dutch word in there intentional? That way, it actually sounds as a badly translated Dutch proverb
Nope, it wasn't intentional, it's just an English expression for taking a chance, no idea of its origin though. My knowledge of the Dutch language is nil.

Quote:
And no, I'm not getting one. I like my KPW just fine as it is now.
What a shame, I was hoping you could be our tester on this one
Old 09-23-2013, 03:53 PM   #21
MickiTee
Guru
MickiTee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickiTee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickiTee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickiTee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickiTee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickiTee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickiTee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickiTee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickiTee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickiTee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickiTee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-505, Pocketbook TL3, TL4, TL5
Quote:
This reader basically covers all bases.

Touchscreen for navigation: check
Buttons for navigation: check
Buttons for turning pages: check
Frontlight: check
Large(er) memory of 4GB: check
SD-card slot: check
Custom fonts: check
Good price: check
And you can read EPUBS's and MOBI's on it. Another plus I think.
MickiTee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2013, 03:57 PM   #22
Katsunami
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yolina View Post
Nope, it wasn't intentional, it's just an English expression for taking a chance, no idea of its origin though. My knowledge of the Dutch language is nil.
Interesting. So, "To take a punt" is actually good English?

It sounds like a bad translation of "Een punt snappen", which would translate to "Taking (or understanding) a point".

Quote:
What a shame, I was hoping you could be our tester on this one
Nah... I have no use for navigational buttons. I'm not missing page turn buttons, and scrolling a cursor around the screen is not as user friendly as a touch screen, if you take my punt. Point. Whatever.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MickiTee View Post
And you can read EPUBS's and MOBI's on it. Another plus I think.
Ow, indeed, you can read stuff on it too. Yeah, that's of some importance as well.

How could I have missed that
Old 09-23-2013, 04:09 PM   #23
Yolina
Wizard

Quote:
Interesting. So, "To take a punt" is actually good English?
It is indeed

Quote:
It sounds like a bad translation of "Een punt snappen", which would translate to "Taking (or understanding) a point".
I can see why you thought it could have been intentional, sorry to disappoint

Quote:
Nah... I have no use for navigational buttons. I'm not missing page turn buttons, and scrolling a cursor around the screen is not as user friendly as a touch screen, if you take my punt. Point. Whatever.

I do miss the page turn buttons.
I've actually read through the user guide for the Illumina HD and you don't *have* to use the dpad to navigate, which is good. On paper it's pretty much perfect a far as I'm concerned. Now if they could just redesign the container...
Old 09-23-2013, 05:31 PM   #24
Gardenman
Wizard
Gardenman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gardenman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gardenman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gardenman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gardenman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gardenman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gardenman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gardenman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gardenman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gardenman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gardenman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: sony prs-350,Nook HD+, Kindle 2nd gen, kindle keyboard
Does anyone know what this companys customer service is like? How easy would it be to replace a bad reader?
Gardenman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2013, 05:55 PM   #25
Katsunami
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gardenman View Post
Does anyone know what this companys customer service is like? How easy would it be to replace a bad reader?
In the many EU countries, the store is responsible for warranty. In the Netherlands, you have a 14-day return policy arranged by law, if you buy it over the internet.

So I'd not hesitate to order one, had I wanted to try one.

How this will be in countries outside the EU (warranty) or return policy (compared to the Netherlands), I do not know.

I have no experience with customer service of this company.
Old 09-23-2013, 07:15 PM   #26
Mivo
Fanatic
Mivo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mivo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mivo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mivo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mivo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mivo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mivo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mivo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mivo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mivo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mivo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: In use: Pocketbook InkPad 3, Kobo Glo, iPad Air 2
Quote:
In the Netherlands, you have a 14-day return policy arranged by law, if you buy it over the internet.
We have the same regulation in Germany (no reason for the return is required, and if the item cost over €30, the seller also has to pay for the return shipping or arrange the pick-up). I believe this is EU-wide, but I'm not entirely sure.
Mivo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2013, 07:30 PM   #27
Katsunami
Grand Sorcerer

I do not know if the seller needs to pay for return shipping in The Netherlands.

IMHO, that would not be fair (except if a product is returned because it's defective, or not the correct product as ordered, etc). I don't expect the seller to pay return shipping just because I happen not to like the product.

Still, it may be that such a regulation exists. I would need to look into that.
Old 09-23-2013, 10:24 PM   #28
xendula
eBookworm
xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 4B/K ~ Nexus 7 ~ Kindle Paperwhite 1&2 ~ iPad Air
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gardenman View Post
Unfortunately not. I was actually amazed to see how many different readers they have on the market. It suggests that they have been in business for a while, but when I tried to post about this reader, I realized we don't have a subforum for their readers.

ETA: I found a bit of info about Icarus on goodereader.com (emphasis mine) - no idea in which year this was written, though...

Quote:
Icarus is doing some very innovative things in the e-reader sphere. The company has only been around for a few years and most people have never heard of it. I only recently became aware of Icarus when researching good 9.7 inch readers to appeal to students and working professionals. After our Hands-on Review of the Icarus Excel, I naturally had to test its other new products.

I am really pleased with the overall build quality and reading experience. There are no crazy advanced features to clutter the UI or make life anymore confusing thn it needs to be. It is marketed to compete with companies like Onyx Boox, Ectaco, Pocketbook, Bookeen, and others. Many sub-par devices launched by the competition give you a lackluster experience. Pocketbook has good build quality, but the internal hardware components often make it rather sluggish, Onyx Boox has abysmal customer service and good luck trying to RMA anything. Ectaco often makes very low-quality products, but is a shining beacon of hope in the e-reader world with the Jetbook Color, which uses e-Ink Triton. Icarus does an excellent job at maintaining both good customer service and a quality e-reader.

Last edited by xendula; 09-23-2013 at 10:34 PM.
xendula is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2013, 07:20 AM   #29
Zetmolm
Guru
Zetmolm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zetmolm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zetmolm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zetmolm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zetmolm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zetmolm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zetmolm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zetmolm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zetmolm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zetmolm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zetmolm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PocketBook Touch (622), PocketBook Touch Lux 2, Pocketbook Touch HD 3
Icarus does not manufacture ereaders. All that they do is rebranding. Different Icarus models come from different makers (e.g. the Icarus Excel is a rebranded Onyx Boox M92), so you can expect different quality levels. Also, the firmware on all Icarus readers is not developed by Icarus but by the original maker, so there again: quality may vary.

I have seen mixed reviews for different models. The fact that e.g. the Excel had good reviews cannot be seen as an indication that this new reader, which comes from a different maker, is also good. We'll have to wait and see.

Here in the Netherlands I've also seen mixed reports about the quality of their customer service. I have no direct experience with them, so I cannot say which reports are right and which are wrong, all I can say is that apparently they do have unhappy as well as happy customers.

Fact is that they seem to have taken over the position of leading Dutch brand from BeBook. BeBook practically died whereas Icarus seems to be thriving. So they must be doing something right.
Zetmolm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2013, 09:13 AM   #30
JakesFriend
Jakes Friend
JakesFriend began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite1
Quote:
Yes, that would be the one exception I think
I'm overwhelmed by your generosity of spirit. Now, where's that icon for sarcasm?
JakesFriend is offline   Reply With Quote