Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 07-02-2010, 11:37 AM   #16
jj2me
Guru
jj2me ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jj2me ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jj2me ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jj2me ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jj2me ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jj2me ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jj2me ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jj2me ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jj2me ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jj2me ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jj2me ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-505, -350; Kindle 3 3G, DX, PW 2; various tablets
Quote:
Originally Posted by paperwastage View Post

playing around with the browser right now... full bars with the Sprint network... preliminary speed tests says 0.5mbps connection(this is not really a true test seeing that its 1: dependent on the other server's speed, 2: think that everything on the kindle is proxied through some server, 3: might be limited by the refresh/browser rate on the kindle

also, while browsing on the web for a long time, it says web browser out of memory, requires a restart
... if you try to go onto usps.com on the browser (after a clean restart), it'll complain about RAM... probably because of the image downloading and other stuff... need to disable images, or go to their mobile sites...
Just got my U.S. Kindle 2 refurb ($140) yesterday, and am very pleased with the browser performance, given my reduced expectations from what most others have said about it. A quite serviceable vacation or travel browser. For me and my needs, the browser is just about worth the price. I've used a 33 MHz PDA on dialup, and that is slow and clunky.

To get the decent performance, I try to stick with
  • Basic mode
  • Images disabled
  • Mobile sites when available

But in spite of this, I'm thinking of returning it in favor of the Kindle 3, for it's higher contrast screen. It's just a strong personal dislike of the darkness of the current-gen Vizplex screens, I'm often bothered by it. A concern with such an exchange is that the AT&T network serving the Kindle 3 might provide poorer browser performance than this Sprint Kindle 2. If I knew in advance that this is true, I'd keep this Kindle 2.
jj2me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2010, 11:44 AM   #17
robb01
Connoisseur
robb01 began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle
Congrats!
robb01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-02-2010, 01:10 PM   #18
BVLarson
Author
BVLarson has learned how to read e-booksBVLarson has learned how to read e-booksBVLarson has learned how to read e-booksBVLarson has learned how to read e-booksBVLarson has learned how to read e-booksBVLarson has learned how to read e-booksBVLarson has learned how to read e-booksBVLarson has learned how to read e-books

Device: Kindle
Those are some scary pictures you've got there, PW. I would think you could get that replaced with no argument.
BVLarson is offline   Reply With Quote