Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 11-18-2009, 06:46 AM   #16
luqmaninbmore
Da'i
luqmaninbmore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.luqmaninbmore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.luqmaninbmore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.luqmaninbmore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.luqmaninbmore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.luqmaninbmore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.luqmaninbmore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.luqmaninbmore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.luqmaninbmore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.luqmaninbmore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.luqmaninbmore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Toshiba Thrive, Kobo Touch, Kindle 1, Aluratek Libre, T-Mobile Comet
Having played with it some more, it's actually quite nice. It's the only ebook software for Android whcich ofdfers true annotation and offline dictionary look up. I had switched my buying preferences to eReader in anticipation of this software being available. I'm not disapointed, except for two things. First, there is apparently no way to change the background and font colours as there was on the Palm app and second I can't get my books from B and N to download using the browser on my G1. I had to transfer them using my laptop. Are we going to have two versions of eReader like there is one the IPghone..
luqmaninbmore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2009, 09:09 AM   #17
Croptop
Groupie
Croptop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Croptop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Croptop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Croptop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Croptop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Croptop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Croptop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Croptop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Croptop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Croptop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Croptop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Elipsa, Kobo Aura One, Pixel 8 Pro
First the Kindle finally comes to Canada and now a version of eReader gets released for Android. It's been a good couple of days.

I like the fact that eReader will connect directly to my Fictionwise account and download my books. But as for actually reading them, I still find FBReaderJ to be a better app. And I agree with luqmaninbmore; there needs to be settings to change font and background colours. Just changing font size is not enough.
Croptop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2009, 03:56 PM   #18
ectoplasm
Addict
ectoplasm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ectoplasm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ectoplasm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ectoplasm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ectoplasm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ectoplasm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ectoplasm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ectoplasm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ectoplasm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ectoplasm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ectoplasm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Aura HD and H2O
I'd be more interested in an AZW/MOBI reader for Android. eReader doesn't support mobi does it?

For Epub, there is Aldiko for Android which works well:
http://www.aldiko.com/
ectoplasm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2009, 04:59 PM   #19
luqmaninbmore
Da'i
luqmaninbmore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.luqmaninbmore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.luqmaninbmore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.luqmaninbmore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.luqmaninbmore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.luqmaninbmore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.luqmaninbmore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.luqmaninbmore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.luqmaninbmore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.luqmaninbmore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.luqmaninbmore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ectoplasm View Post
I'd be more interested in an AZW/MOBI reader for Android. eReader doesn't support mobi does it?

For Epub, there is Aldiko for Android which works well:
http://www.aldiko.com/
FBReaderJ supports Mobipocket (non DRM), Epub, and FB2. I think its the best, most customizable ereading software on Android (although Aldiko is quite good, too). IReader also supports nonDRM mobi.
Old 11-18-2009, 05:44 PM   #20
willanaya
Enthusiast
willanaya began at the beginning.

Device: Sony prs-350
as soon as it becomes avail on my Droid market i will get it. i dont like the fact that my droid says it cant guarantee that it wont mess up my phone. i paid for the phone out right and am not risking that.

i am currently using the other ereader apps that the droid market provides but that is only txt, epub (not drm), or pdf (not drm) files.
willanaya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2009, 06:46 PM   #21
ectoplasm
Addict
ectoplasm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ectoplasm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ectoplasm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ectoplasm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ectoplasm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ectoplasm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ectoplasm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ectoplasm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ectoplasm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ectoplasm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ectoplasm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Aura HD and H2O
Quote:
Originally Posted by luqmaninbmore View Post
FBReaderJ supports Mobipocket (non DRM), Epub, and FB2. I think its the best, most customizable ereading software on Android (although Aldiko is quite good, too). IReader also supports nonDRM mobi.
I thought that program sounded familiar. It turns out I had tried then uninstalled FBReaderJ. I just gave it another try and this time I found the spot where I could change the font size, a strangely named menu entry "Settings (old)".

It's very buggy on my Droid, with numerous crashes (when configuring), and graphics appear out of order compared to Mobipocket reader, but it does seem workable. At least there is something for Android that supports Mobi.
ectoplasm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2009, 01:41 AM   #22
FrancisT
FrancisT is on a distinguished road

Device: Cybook, Toshiba NB100
Quote:
FBREaderJ always crashes for me on my THC Hero. Aldiko works great. Now if only I cna figure out how to import all my books from Calibre and/or Baen into it in a graceful manner...
FrancisT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2009, 09:55 AM   #23
m42
Enthusiast
m42 began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle fire and paperwhite, Ipad mini and Retina, Note 2, Nook tab,HD
Did anyone try bn books on archos android?

Last edited by m42; 11-19-2009 at 09:58 AM.
m42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2009, 09:55 AM   #24
willanaya
Enthusiast

so has anyone had any problems with the software on the Droid. i want to add it but wary.
Old 11-19-2009, 08:36 PM   #25
willanaya
Enthusiast

what formats are acceptable for this software app?

i downloaded the harry potter's and converted them to pdb but it wont read on my droid. is there another accepatable format?
Old 11-19-2009, 08:42 PM   #26
luqmaninbmore
Da'i

Quote:
Originally Posted by willanaya View Post
what formats are acceptable for this software app?

i downloaded the harry potter's and converted them to pdb but it wont read on my droid. is there another accepatable format?
What form of "pdb" did you use? PDB is just a container for many different file types: PalmDoc, iSilo, eReader, and others.
Old 11-20-2009, 05:29 AM   #27
zacheryjensen
Addict
zacheryjensen has learned how to read e-bookszacheryjensen has learned how to read e-bookszacheryjensen has learned how to read e-bookszacheryjensen has learned how to read e-bookszacheryjensen has learned how to read e-bookszacheryjensen has learned how to read e-bookszacheryjensen has learned how to read e-books

Device: iPad, iPhone 4
Quote:
so has anyone had any problems with the software on the Droid. i want to add it but wary.
That message you are worried about is generic anti-liability spam. You have nothing more to worry about, with regards to ruining your phone, than you would from any other software you install. It's just not coming signed from some "official" source. They want to scare you, and also keep you from complaining about its performance to them.

In reality, eReader software has been developed stably for so many platforms over the years, I would expect it to be quite safe.
zacheryjensen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2009, 05:30 AM   #28
zacheryjensen
Addict
zacheryjensen has learned how to read e-bookszacheryjensen has learned how to read e-bookszacheryjensen has learned how to read e-bookszacheryjensen has learned how to read e-bookszacheryjensen has learned how to read e-bookszacheryjensen has learned how to read e-bookszacheryjensen has learned how to read e-books

Device: iPad, iPhone 4
Also I wanted to mention that if you really wanted, you can try this out in the android live cd on an emulator like VirtualBox or VMWare. I was just doing that and it all seems to work fine. I got caught up reading for like 30 minutes even. No issues that I noticed but of course, that's not to say there are none.
zacheryjensen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2009, 01:53 PM   #29
willanaya
Enthusiast

Quote:
What form of "pdb" did you use? PDB is just a container for many different file types: PalmDoc, iSilo, eReader, and others.
it was whatever format of pdb comes with calibre. i took the harry potter books and converted them to pdb. however when i tried them on the ereader it said i needed the name and credit card number for it. i tried my info and was denied.
Old 11-20-2009, 02:14 PM   #30
luqmaninbmore
Da'i

Quote:
it was whatever format of pdb comes with calibre. i took the harry potter books and converted them to pdb. however when i tried them on the ereader it said i needed the name and credit card number for it. i tried my info and was denied.
When you convert your book to PDB, look under the PDB Output option. Make sure that you choose eReader for your format. Doc should work too, but it is much more limited.