Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > More E-Book Readers > Bookeen

Notices

Old 07-20-2011, 01:43 PM   #1
Adoby
Handy Elephant
Adoby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Adoby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Adoby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Adoby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Adoby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Adoby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Adoby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Adoby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Adoby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Adoby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Adoby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Thinkpad E595, Ubuntu Mate, Huawei Mediapad 5, Bouye Likebook Plus
Hello, Bookeen! Looking good! :D

Interesting that there is so little traffic here. I suspect that it means that we are busy reading on our Bookeen devices, and don't have a lot to complain about. That is at least the case for me.

(The main reason for this post was to get rid of that "Good bye Bookeen" thread as the last posted in. It was annoying. )

Last edited by Adoby; 07-20-2011 at 05:33 PM.
Adoby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2011, 12:27 AM   #2
JanG
Groupie
JanG got an A in P-Chem.JanG got an A in P-Chem.JanG got an A in P-Chem.JanG got an A in P-Chem.JanG got an A in P-Chem.JanG got an A in P-Chem.JanG got an A in P-Chem.JanG got an A in P-Chem.JanG got an A in P-Chem.JanG got an A in P-Chem.JanG got an A in P-Chem.

Device: Laptop; Kobo Clara
Thank you, Adoby, I agree that 'goodbye' thread was jarring.

Me? I'm just loving my Opus. I much prefer it to my Gen3. I have small hands so the smaller device could've been tailor made to fit my grip. Is it my imagination or is the screen sharper than the Gen3? And I love the page turn buttons.
JanG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2011, 10:09 AM   #3
mbovenka
Wizard
mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage
Quote:
Originally Posted by JanG View Post
Thank you, Adoby, I agree that 'goodbye' thread was jarring.

Me? I'm just loving my Opus. I much prefer it to my Gen3. I have small hands so the smaller device could've been tailor made to fit my grip. Is it my imagination or is the screen sharper than the Gen3? And I love the page turn buttons.
Yes, it is slightly sharper; the physical resolution is the same (800x600) but for the 5" Opus screen that comes to 200 dots per inch compared to the 170 for the 6" Gen3.
mbovenka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2011, 10:44 AM   #4
hidari
MR Drone
hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PB360+, Huawei MP5, Libra H20
love the Opus as well. I use it almost every week. love the form factor, wish it had a few more things on it....but ....love the simplicity of it....
hidari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2011, 06:03 PM   #5
Chi Cygni
秋子 permanently lurking
Chi Cygni ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Chi Cygni ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Chi Cygni ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Chi Cygni ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Chi Cygni ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Chi Cygni ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Chi Cygni ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Chi Cygni ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Chi Cygni ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Chi Cygni ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Chi Cygni ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 3, Pocketbook Era
I love my Opus absolutely. I bought Kindle 3 recently (had to feed gadget geek) but all the more realised how perfect Opus is for all I need. I have a lot of warm feelings for it, contrary to Kindle, and it does all I want perfectly. I was wondering of buying a spare Opus just in case - because I like it so much. Would you buy spare one too? What do you think? Ah the custom fonts, folders, menu shortcuts, portability, ease of use, lightness, my tribal language recognised, decalgirl skins available (lettereater is the one I have for now) I use it everyday, don't leave house without it. My little R2D2 unit
Chi Cygni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2011, 07:49 AM   #6
JanG
Groupie
JanG got an A in P-Chem.JanG got an A in P-Chem.JanG got an A in P-Chem.JanG got an A in P-Chem.JanG got an A in P-Chem.JanG got an A in P-Chem.JanG got an A in P-Chem.JanG got an A in P-Chem.JanG got an A in P-Chem.JanG got an A in P-Chem.JanG got an A in P-Chem.

I guess I'm old fashioned in my likes. I like a cell phone that just makes phone calls (ok I'll accept texting as well), and I like an ereader that just reads books. I don't think I'd use an ereader if it had wifi, internet connections, etc, even if someone gave it to me for free. So for me, the Opus fits the bill. My Gen3 did/does as well, but it's bulkier.
Old 07-25-2011, 08:34 AM   #7
hidari
MR Drone
hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chi Cygni View Post
I love my Opus absolutely. I bought Kindle 3 recently (had to feed gadget geek) but all the more realised how perfect Opus is for all I need. I have a lot of warm feelings for it, contrary to Kindle, and it does all I want perfectly. I was wondering of buying a spare Opus just in case - because I like it so much. Would you buy spare one too? What do you think? Ah the custom fonts, folders, menu shortcuts, portability, ease of use, lightness, my tribal language recognised, decalgirl skins available (lettereater is the one I have for now) I use it everyday, don't leave house without it. My little R2D2 unit

worth backing up...Hopefully an Opus with a better screen....I like the current one...but..... and maybe some more options....and a less sensitive accelerometer would be nice..
Old 07-25-2011, 09:06 AM   #8
Adoby
Handy Elephant
Adoby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Adoby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Adoby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Adoby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Adoby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Adoby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Adoby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Adoby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Adoby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Adoby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Adoby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

But will another Opus ever be made? I think it is a good example of a mature gadget. A device that does one thing extremely well in a small package. But what it does is not unique. Will it be possible to develop and market a new Opus?

A new Opus should only have a better screen (it is already among the very best e-ink), more storage and perhaps solar power. If I wanted wifi, online shopping, sound or other stuff I would buy some other device (I did).

The Opus I read on. Only that. But a lot of that!
Old 07-25-2011, 09:25 AM   #9
hidari
MR Drone

Have to say the Sony 350 and PB360 are also good readers....not to mention the Astak Pocket Pro... all had or have their good and bad points...But the Opus does sit well witin the 5inch ereader range....Just wish 5inch readers were more popular... form factor and smallness are two of the best things about the Opus...
Old 07-25-2011, 10:19 AM   #10
JanG
Groupie

One of the first things I did when I received my Opus was to disable the accelerometer. I have something similar on my phone and it annoys the heck out of me.

I'm right handed so the page turn buttons are in the right place, but when I read in bed at night, I lie on my right side holding the Opus with my left hand, and the main navigation button makes a good substitute for the page turns.

Can you tell that I'm in love my Opus? LOL! The only thing missing, IMO, is a clock.

--Jan.
Old 07-25-2011, 11:17 AM   #11
Chi Cygni
秋子 permanently lurking
Chi Cygni ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Chi Cygni ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Chi Cygni ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Chi Cygni ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Chi Cygni ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Chi Cygni ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Chi Cygni ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Chi Cygni ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Chi Cygni ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Chi Cygni ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Chi Cygni ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I was quite surprised I would love Opus even more once Kindle arrived, I didn't expect it. Ever since Kindle arrived (July 8) I haven't read a book on it yet, while I guess I finished 4 books on Opus in the meantime. I just somehow refuse to start using Kindle, don't even know why.

I wasn't thinking of a new improved Opus for backup, just a clone of the one I have now. I had the misfortune to choose pink one - I didn't realise that I wouldn't tolerate the color right in my face all the time (with four men in the house I needed something "non male looking" I guess - wrong decision). I'd now buy black or blue.

For the moment it is brown with decalgirl skin (I have spare blue skin once I feel bored with the brown) Screen is just fine for me and I don't miss anything in it. I would prefer if Bookeen stopped with the sipix screen for future - main reason I didn't go for Orizon. But tiny Opus is just great for any handbag or even coat pocket. I also disable accelerometer and when in bed at night I read in landscape mode. Do you use any reading light? I have "Kandle" for it. And Bookeen sand colored case. Shows how much I like it since I can't stop rattling about it
Old 07-25-2011, 11:44 AM   #12
Adoby
Handy Elephant

I have to admit that I sometimes read on my Xoom in bed when it is dark. Using a dark background and white text, and the light turned down, it is very nice and relaxing.

But in the daytime or on travel I very much prefer reading on the Opus. And if I had to choose only one reading device, I would choose the Opus without any hesitation.

I sometimes make trips where I sleep outdoors in the woods in a hammock under a tarp. The Opus is a great companion, even for extended trips, especially when the days are short. Then I use a Zebralight headlamp, on low, to be able to read in the dark before falling asleep. But I don't dare bring the Opus when it is below freezing, so outdoor reading in the winter has to be on paper.

The accelerometer on mine is turned off as well, A typical example of usless extras.
Old 07-25-2011, 02:24 PM   #13
JanG
Groupie

I just use my bedside light. I don't like to use book lights, the beam is usually too narrow for me. And hubby can sleep with the bedside light on, so he doesn't mind.

I know what you mean, Chi Cygni, when you say you didn't want something 'male looking' I bought the red leather cover for my Gen3 for exactly that reason. I have three men in my house. But I got the black Opus because for some reason the black was on special offer from Tesco's on-line store in the UK. I'm more than happy with the black surround, I don't think I could've coped with the bright pink frame.
Old 07-25-2011, 04:28 PM   #14
Chi Cygni
秋子 permanently lurking

oh, no, white letters on black (dark) background I cannot stand - must be some brain oversensitivity as lines start to blur and my eyes hurt very soon. I cannot read a newspaper article for even a few minutes if it's printed on black background. The same for internet forums, I have to highlight text if it's white on black. But indeed Opus also would be my definite choice if there was only one I could pick (Kindle is getting covered by dust as we speak)

Jan, I bought my Opus online, never saw pink Opus in real life until it arrived. Sony 350 pink is way more subdued and wouldn't bother me (that much) It was a lesson for me to learn as when the netronix clone reader died I thought I wanted something more cheerful and had no experience with colorful bezels. Now I do I was hesitating between blue and pink at the time but the girly stuff won, unfortunately. I first bought decalgirl skin with nice colours but found it too busy too and now have warm brown, even on all the buttons so I barely see the pink.
Old 07-30-2011, 02:59 PM   #15
vishcompany
Addict
vishcompany can fool all of the people all of the time.vishcompany can fool all of the people all of the time.vishcompany can fool all of the people all of the time.vishcompany can fool all of the people all of the time.vishcompany can fool all of the people all of the time.vishcompany can fool all of the people all of the time.vishcompany can fool all of the people all of the time.vishcompany can fool all of the people all of the time.vishcompany can fool all of the people all of the time.vishcompany can fool all of the people all of the time.vishcompany can fool all of the people all of the time.

Device: Gen3(†); PB302(↓); PRS-350; T1; voyage
Just to chime in here: as long as my Gen3 was alive, I really was happy with it. Got a PB302 (geek-feeding) but the screen was just yukky (and the firmware never got finished really). Out of curiosity I got myself a PRS-350 and now that my Gen3 has died (my fault) I am also happy with this one.
Still, the Gen3 was my first e-reader, it gave me a good start and I will bear it in remembrance.
vishcompany is offline   Reply With Quote