Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Sigil

Notices

Old 09-17-2014, 02:41 PM   #1
JimmyG
Zealot
JimmyG solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.JimmyG solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.JimmyG solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.JimmyG solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.JimmyG solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.JimmyG solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.JimmyG solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.JimmyG solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.JimmyG solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.JimmyG solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.JimmyG solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.

Device: Kindle Touch, Voyage
0.7.700 still has bug...

Installed 7.7 on Windows 8.1 with no problem. But...

I had stopped using 7.4 because of its penchant for eating files but when I saw that people were working on it again, I thought I'd give it another shot because I really like the program. But just to be safe I am keeping a copy of each file in jEdit, saved in another place.

I had finished a file, saved the book and started a new file. finished the new one and copied it. Went to jEdit, clicked New file, pasted it in, and bam, jEdit throws up an error notice; not in the new file but the previous one.

The error was <pclass="bot">. Corrected and saved it, then went back to Sigil to make the correction there. But Sigil had deleted everything from and including that error up to </body>, about half the file. At no time did Sigil give me any kind of error notice.

Files created by Sigil end thusly:
</body>
</html>

When it eats part of a file, that changes to:
</body></html>

I sincerely wish all error-checking would be removed from Sigil. It's not that smart, it's not that helpful, and it's somewhere in the error checking that this bug is lurking. I very strongly suspect during save.
JimmyG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2014, 04:30 PM   #2
mrmikel
Color me gone
mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-300
What do you mean you copied it?

It sounds like you are jumping in and out of Sigil. Sigil imposes its own structure on epubs. There is no choice about it. If you alter the structure you are likely to blow up the document.

If you want something that will work with other programs you have and does not care about structure, use the calibre editor.

Sigil is built around error checking to make sure the epub is valid at all times. It is the basis upon which Sigil is constructed.
mrmikel is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-17-2014, 05:25 PM   #3
KevinH
Sigil Developer
KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: many
Hi,
Go to Sigil preferences and turn off all use of pretty-print and tidy even on save.
Repeat trial with exact same mistake, no editing and pasting into jedit, and see if the same failure occurs. If so, post that incorrect file for me so that I can recreate the error.

Do not try editing in jedit and pasting back into Sigil. That will cause issues with the book view not being in sync withthe CodeView depending on which mode you pasted things back in.

Please let us know what you find out.

Kevin

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimmyG View Post
Installed 7.7 on Windows 8.1 with no problem. But...

I had stopped using 7.4 because of its penchant for eating files but when I saw that people were working on it again, I thought I'd give it another shot because I really like the program. But just to be safe I am keeping a copy of each file in jEdit, saved in another place.

I had finished a file, saved the book and started a new file. finished the new one and copied it. Went to jEdit, clicked New file, pasted it in, and bam, jEdit throws up an error notice; not in the new file but the previous one.

The error was <pclass="bot">. Corrected and saved it, then went back to Sigil to make the correction there. But Sigil had deleted everything from and including that error up to </body>, about half the file. At no time did Sigil give me any kind of error notice.

Files created by Sigil end thusly:
</body>
</html>

When it eats part of a file, that changes to:
</body></html>

I sincerely wish all error-checking would be removed from Sigil. It's not that smart, it's not that helpful, and it's somewhere in the error checking that this bug is lurking. I very strongly suspect during save.
KevinH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2014, 07:02 PM   #4
JimmyG
Zealot
JimmyG solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.JimmyG solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.JimmyG solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.JimmyG solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.JimmyG solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.JimmyG solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.JimmyG solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.JimmyG solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.JimmyG solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.JimmyG solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.JimmyG solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinH View Post
Hi,
Go to Sigil preferences and turn off all use of pretty-print and tidy even on save.
Repeat trial with exact same mistake, no editing and pasting into jedit, and see if the same failure occurs. If so, post that incorrect file for me so that I can recreate the error.

Do not try editing in jedit and pasting back into Sigil. That will cause issues with the book view not being in sync withthe CodeView depending on which mode you pasted things back in.

Please let us know what you find out.

Kevin
I have Clean turned off for both open and save.

I'm only copying to jedit to save copies of the files. The only time I pasted into Sigil was to replace the portion of the file that went missing. The only time I use book view is to see how things look. (Except now I use it to check for errors on a new file before I save.)

I tried to get it to reproduce the error on a test file, but, of course, now it doesn't care a hoot about that error, just saves it. It squawks tho if I try to switch to book view. Damn, I thought I had cornered that so and so.

Perhaps I was a bit rash about the error checking. But no program should make any changes to a file I've created without my explicit permission.

P.S. I'll leave that test file in there, to see if anything happens.

Last edited by JimmyG; 09-17-2014 at 07:11 PM. Reason: Added ps
Old 09-17-2014, 07:37 PM   #5
mrmikel
Color me gone
mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-300
Quote:
But no program should make any changes to a file I've created without my explicit permission.
Then Sigil is not for you. It enforces its own structure which must be observed. But Kevin who is actually developing code can tell you more on this.

Especially in book view, it tries to guess what you want. When you delete or insert in book view, it guesses where you want to be, which might not correspond with what you think it should be, but for which there is good reason.And it tries to keep the epub valid, when you might not care if it is valid at the particular moment because it will be after you get done. Sigil is not so good with junk as input as it tries to make it right. Calibre editor doesn't care about whether it is valid at all. That is entirely the user's problem.

Keeping book view in line with code view is very hard, which is why calibre editor doesn't even attempt it.
mrmikel is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-17-2014, 07:40 PM   #6
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie
eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Beaten Path, USA, Roundworld, This Side of Infinity
Device: Kindle Touch fw5.3.7 (Wifi only)
Quote:
Perhaps I was a bit rash about the error checking. But no program should make any changes to a file I've created without my explicit permission.
What word processing program doesn't make changes on its own?

Book View in Sigil is WYSIWYG editing, which by definition means it will change things whenever it wants. You can prevent changes by not switching to Book View, which you shouldn't be using to see how things look anyway --- use the Preview.

People who wish to maintain absolute code purity might be better off using calibre's editor.
eschwartz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2014, 08:41 PM   #7
JimmyG
Zealot

Unfortunately, I don't know what I was doing when it happened, but, before:

Code:
<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8" standalone="no" ?><!DOCTYPE html PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD XHTML 1.1//EN" "http://www.w3.org/TR/xhtml11/DTD/xhtml11.dtd"><html xmlns="http://www.w3.org/1999/xhtml">
<head>
<title/>
<link href="../Styles/Style0001.css" rel="stylesheet" type="text/css"/></head>
<body>
<h1>Test</h1>

<p>Now is the time for all good men to come to the aid of the party.</p>

<pclass="bot">Now is the time for all good men to come to the aid of the party.</p>

</body>
</html>
After:

Code:
<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8" standalone="no" ?><!DOCTYPE html PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD XHTML 1.1//EN" "http://www.w3.org/TR/xhtml11/DTD/xhtml11.dtd"><html xmlns="http://www.w3.org/1999/xhtml">
<head>
<title/>
<link href="../Styles/Style0001.css" rel="stylesheet" type="text/css"/></head>
<body>
<h1>Test</h1>

</body></html>
Old 09-17-2014, 08:45 PM   #8
JimmyG
Zealot

Quote:
Originally Posted by eschwartz View Post
What word processing program doesn't make changes on its own?

Book View in Sigil is WYSIWYG editing, which by definition means it will change things whenever it wants. You can prevent changes by not switching to Book View, which you shouldn't be using to see how things look anyway --- use the Preview.

People who wish to maintain absolute code purity might be better off using calibre's editor.
No program should eat files. As I said I don't edit in book view.
Old 09-17-2014, 09:29 PM   #9
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie
eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Beaten Path, USA, Roundworld, This Side of Infinity
Device: Kindle Touch fw5.3.7 (Wifi only)
Quote:
No program should eat files. As I said I don't edit in book view.
I don't know why it ate the file. Maybe there was invalid syntax. Sigil eats invalid syntax for a good reason -- it is intended to. It is a WYSIWYG editor.

Editing or not, just hitting the button to enter Book View will have the same effect. It will eat invalid markup. No typing into Book View required.
eschwartz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2014, 01:55 AM   #10
Toxaris
Wizard
Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-T1, Kobo Touch, Kobo Aura
As soon as you switch between code- and bookview, Sigil must make choices and guesses. Although in this case I think there usually is just a warning, but there were several issues with this in the past. I have lost content as well in the past, but that was on 0.4.2 or something like that.
Use the preview for looking how things look. If there is an error in the code, it will say so without changing the code. Myself I have the preview docked on the right side (switchable with the TOC). I never go to bookview anymore.
Toxaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2014, 09:35 AM   #11
JimmyG
Zealot

Quote:
I don't know why it ate the file. Maybe there was invalid syntax. Sigil eats invalid syntax for a good reason -- it is intended to. It is a WYSIWYG editor.
That's just absurd.
Old 09-18-2014, 09:54 AM   #12
JimmyG
Zealot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toxaris View Post
As soon as you switch between code- and bookview, Sigil must make choices and guesses. Although in this case I think there usually is just a warning, but there were several issues with this in the past. I have lost content as well in the past, but that was on 0.4.2 or something like that.
Use the preview for looking how things look. If there is an error in the code, it will say so without changing the code. Myself I have the preview docked on the right side (switchable with the TOC). I never go to bookview anymore.
I've never had book view mess up a file I was working on. If there's an error it puts up a warning with the options to fix it for you or fix manually. I always select fix manually.

The above file wasn't even open when it got eaten. Will switching to book view in one file affect others than the one you're working on?
Old 09-18-2014, 10:01 AM   #13
crutledge
eBook FANatic
crutledge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crutledge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crutledge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crutledge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crutledge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crutledge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crutledge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crutledge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crutledge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crutledge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crutledge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: HP ipac RX5915 Wife's Kindle
ver 07.7

What is this Sigil 07.7?
I only find version 07.4
crutledge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2014, 10:06 AM   #14
PeterT
Grand Sorcerer
PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Clara, Touch, Tolino EPOS
Look for the thread that tells you that there is a version available for a few platforms for Alpha testing.
PeterT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2014, 10:42 AM   #15
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterT View Post
Look for the thread that tells you that there is a version available for a few platforms for Alpha testing.
Most platforms now, actually.
DiapDealer is offline   Reply With Quote