Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 08-23-2010, 08:43 AM   #1
John1997
Enthusiast
John1997 has learned how to buy an e-book online

Device: Jetbook Lite
Difference between Jetbook and Jetbook Lite

With the current firmware on each, what are the differences between these two?

I'm sure this has been discussed in detail, but I'm not finding the threads, and the new firmware surely makes a difference.

Physically, they look identical except for the battery pack on the back of the JBL.

I have a Lite and really like the ability to read Adobe epubs, BN epubs, and ereader pdb's without fiddling with any "modifications" I've thought about the Jetbook for the convenience of a rechargeable battery. But my impression is that it won't read the ereader pdb files.
John1997 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2010, 12:42 PM   #2
Lady Fitzgerald
Wizard
Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: JetBook Lite (away from home) + 1 spare, 32" TV (at home)
Except for the battery differences, the JB and JBL are very similar; someone else will have to chime in with more details. For me, the ability to be able to field change batteries in my JBL using non-proprietary batteries is a huge advantage. If my JBL batteries go dead while, say sitting at a restaurant table, I can swap in another set in minutes. With a JB, I would have to wait until I could find a power source, then wait several hours for the battery to charge. One can always use rechargeable batteries in the JBL. I already carry a bunch of Sanyo Eneloops (AA and AAA) in my purse (and more in my luggage when I travel) to feed my electronic goodies so I always have a supply on hand.
Lady Fitzgerald is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-23-2010, 01:51 PM   #3
bill_mchale
Wizard
bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Simple Touch, HPC Evo 4G LTE
The big advantage of rechargeable batteries comes down the road a couple of years. Before I had structural failures on my Jetbook, I could definitely notice less battery life on my Jetbook than when it was new. When I first got it, I could read 4-6 days for several hours each without recharging. In the last month or so (after two years), the charge would last a couple of days.

--
Bill
bill_mchale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2010, 07:18 AM   #4
John1997
Enthusiast
John1997 has learned how to buy an e-book online

Device: Jetbook Lite
Thanks, guys. Sounds as though I stick with my JBL. The 16e firmware is a winner. For those who want more detail there's a jetBook vs. jetBook Lite vs. Aluratek Libre thread in the Ectaco jetBook forum with lots of good comments.
John1997 is offline   Reply With Quote