Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 08-21-2010, 02:17 AM   #1
Daemon
Daemon began at the beginning.

Device: none
1st ebook reader - probably Sony or the new Kindle

I'm going to be moving to Japan soon, and will be living there for a year. Not exactly a huge supply of English books out there, so I'm looking at getting an ebook reader.

At the moment, it's looking like a bit of a toss-up between the new Kindle and the Sony 600...

My reasoning is as follows - first, they're both fairly inexpensive, being in the vicinity of $150, and seem to be rather far ahead of anything else in the same price range. I'd be willing to spend a bit more if another machine is significantly better, but certainly no more than $200.

I'm leaning slightly toward the sony right now for a few reasons:
1: I understand epub is a bit more common and widely supported than mobi, in public libraries, for example
2: the sony has a metal body rather than a plastic one
3: the sony's storage is expandable

Thing is - I have no idea about the quality of their user interface, or any other aspects I may have missed.

Are there any particular strengths in favor of the new kindle? Any major issues with either? Have I missed some other ebook reader entirely?
Daemon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2010, 03:06 AM   #2
bevdeforges
Addict
bevdeforges ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bevdeforges ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bevdeforges ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bevdeforges ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bevdeforges ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bevdeforges ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bevdeforges ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bevdeforges ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bevdeforges ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bevdeforges ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bevdeforges ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Forma; Sony PRS600B; Sony 350; Sony T-2
One other factor to consider if you're going to be "away" with your reader - you will probably want to use Amazon to ship you stuff, including books, so they'll have your physical address. (In my case, I'm a regular customer of 3 amazons, .com, .co.uk and.fr and an occasional customer of .de - with my physical address registered with each of them.) Makes it trickier to overcome some of the geographical restrictions on books.

The Sony software is not so hot, but is only necessary when using the Sony book store. Download Calibre to actually maintain your library and transfer books to and from your reader.

If you really need or want wireless connection, then the Kindle is your choice. But personally, I don't need or want the distraction (or the added temptation to impulse buy) but for some folks it's a vital feature.
bevdeforges is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2010, 03:26 AM   #3
Daemon
Daemon began at the beginning.

Device: none
I should add that the Nook is also an option. It gets points for having a user-replaceable battery, though I understand there's some issue about requiring a US address for some insane reason. (I'm Canadian)
Daemon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2010, 05:49 AM   #4
hardgainer
Invisible Man
hardgainer could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.hardgainer could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.hardgainer could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.hardgainer could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.hardgainer could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.hardgainer could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.hardgainer could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.hardgainer could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.hardgainer could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.hardgainer could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.hardgainer could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.

Device: Pocketbook360,Kindle K4
nah... i'd considering buying pocketbook 360. more formats better firmware and updates, loadz more file types accepted, quite more customizeable. depends on where you will be getting your books from also... i'd go for non drm stuff so i don't know if i'd buy kindle. And it doesn't accept epub which is a bit of a hassle since it's a very popular format.
hardgainer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2010, 06:54 AM   #5
SkyDream
Wizard
SkyDream can eat soup with a fork.SkyDream can eat soup with a fork.SkyDream can eat soup with a fork.SkyDream can eat soup with a fork.SkyDream can eat soup with a fork.SkyDream can eat soup with a fork.SkyDream can eat soup with a fork.SkyDream can eat soup with a fork.SkyDream can eat soup with a fork.SkyDream can eat soup with a fork.SkyDream can eat soup with a fork.

Device: PRS-650, iPod touch 4G, iPad 3
Yeah...you may consider PocketBook too.
They'll show new devices on the upcoming IFA Berlin in two weeks.
I don't own a PB right now but i'm very excited about the 90x models.
SkyDream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2010, 03:42 AM   #6
neilmarr
neilmarr
neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: sony
Good to have your company, Daemon. As a Sony 505 user, of course I'm a little biased; but at the risk of causing a riot here by happy Kindlers, Nookers, iPadders, etc, I have noticed over eighteen months or so here significantly fewer Sony problems reported (particularly by non-US members) than with other devices. As Bev notes above, Sony library software sux. But the free (or donate what you like) Calibre library programme is superbly efficient for storing, ordering and even format-converting ebooks. Streets ahead of the actual Sony-dedicated library system. Good luck and best wishes. Neil
neilmarr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2010, 09:57 AM   #7
Anarel
Evangelist
Anarel has a propeller beanie that spins backward.Anarel has a propeller beanie that spins backward.Anarel has a propeller beanie that spins backward.Anarel has a propeller beanie that spins backward.Anarel has a propeller beanie that spins backward.Anarel has a propeller beanie that spins backward.Anarel has a propeller beanie that spins backward.Anarel has a propeller beanie that spins backward.Anarel has a propeller beanie that spins backward.Anarel has a propeller beanie that spins backward.Anarel has a propeller beanie that spins backward.

Device: K1, GKDX, K3
If library support is really important to you than I would have to say that you go with the Sony reader.

However, you might want to check out the library you plan to taking out books from, because catalogues are still hit and miss, all things considered. Also, depending on how many book licenses a library has purchased, the waiting list for a book could be pretty long.

If the Library support isn't so high on your list, I would really suggest giving the Kindle another look. Amazon still has the largest in copy-right ebook catalogue, and even after agency pricing (there was a new inkmesh article on it) they were found to have the lowest book prices as compared to anywhere else. The Kindle's plastic body has never bothered me, and the K3 now can hold 3,500 books and documents, with amazon cloud storage for more, if the books are purchased from Amazon. Also, I believe you can use google documents to store your non-Amazon purchases and download them to your kindle from there, so the Kindle not having expandable memory really is a moot point.
Anarel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2010, 10:34 AM   #8
KunoK
Connoisseur
KunoK will become famous soon enoughKunoK will become famous soon enoughKunoK will become famous soon enoughKunoK will become famous soon enoughKunoK will become famous soon enoughKunoK will become famous soon enough

Device: Gen3, Boox 60, K3, Sony T1, Sandra has a Sony505, 650, K3
Consider which type of user you are. If you just want to use your reader without spending to much energi on buying, configuring, avoiding restrictions and so forth, go for a Kindle.

If you prefer to stay with epub, and not an Amazon owned format, then Sony might be a safe bet.

If you are going to be the super user type, you can choose anything, but Pocketbook might be tempting.

Since you going to live outside the US and UK, you will be hit by geographic restrictions. In my experience, it is easier to find the books I want at Amazon than epub stores, although at higher prices than for US/UK residents.

There are ways to get around these geo restrictions. These ways are probably used mostly by super user types.
KunoK is offline   Reply With Quote