Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 05-03-2010, 04:53 PM   #1
GabrielR
GabrielR began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo ereader
Help! App won't recognize Kobo

Here's my problem. I recently returned a defetive Kobo (it wouldn't allow books to be synced to it, even though the Kobo app said it was 'syncing') and got it replaced with a new one.

I've plugged the new one into my computer and it shows up just fine, i can open it and browse through the folders. However, it does NOT show up on either my Kobo app or on Abobe Digital Editions, these programs simply do not recognize that the device is connected.... Why would that be? Is the software not recognizing it because I had another Kobo connected yesterday??? If so what can I do to fix this?!?! its really frustrating! And I don't want to make a new Kobo account because I have already purchased books on mine.

Any ideas would be greatly appreciated!
GabrielR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2010, 05:31 PM   #2
anidel
Zealot
anidel doesn't litteranidel doesn't litter

Device: Kobo,Nokia N900
Did you try launching ADE before plugging the device?
Alternatively launch ADE AFTER plugging the device and see if anything
anidel is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-03-2010, 05:54 PM   #3
GabrielR

Yep tried both ways, and did the same thing with the Kobo app, still the apps don't recognize that the device is connected, even though the computer does... tried it on both a pc and a mac, same thing.
Old 05-03-2010, 06:07 PM   #4
anidel
Zealot
anidel doesn't litteranidel doesn't litter

Device: Kobo,Nokia N900
Really wierd.. don't know how to help
anidel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2010, 06:14 PM   #5
jimr
jimr began at the beginning.

Device: Original Kobo
I had a similar problem after fooling around with it too much. I assume you tried uninstalling and reinstalling the software. I uninstalled it the other day, but it left behind a number of undeletable files. However after reinstalling it, the reader was recognizable again. Other than that I too am at a loss. Sounds like a call to Kobo support is your next step.
jimr is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-03-2010, 07:10 PM   #6
GabrielR

Ok I got annoyed, so I figured out a workaround, here it is if anyone is interested:

I decrypted (removed the DRM) the ePub files that I had bought from the Kobo bookstore. I used Python and PyCrypto to do this.

Once I had a DRM free epub file of the books I bought I simply copied them into the root folder, ejected my kobo, and now the books show up on the device no problem.

This has the benefit of being able to skip all the dumb/buggy software, I'm going to continue using this method until Kobo people give us decent software updates. I do not advocate piracy though, people should still buy them before decrypting, its important to support the authors.
Old 05-03-2010, 07:15 PM   #7
SameerH
Product Manager
SameerH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameerH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameerH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameerH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameerH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameerH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameerH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameerH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameerH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameerH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameerH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura H2O
Hi there, I work at Kobo.

@GabrielR Would like to help you out, can you post your OS version, and if XP can you also post which service pack you are using?

We haven't seen this issue during our work, but would like to see if it's something we can fix.
SameerH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2010, 07:27 PM   #8
GabrielR

Hi Sameer,

I tried using both Mac OS and Windows XP, versions are:

Mac OS X 10.5.8

Windows XP Home Edition 2002 SP3

Both are laptops, both have ADE and the Kobo application installed, both are authorized/signed in on my Kobo account.

When I plug the Kobo into the computer it appears under 'Devices with Removable Storage' in XP and under 'Devices' in MacOS. It lets me browse the device, and I can add files directly to the root directory.

However, the Kobo is never recognized by ADE or the Kobo desktop application. I have tried plugging in the Kobo when these apps are running, when they aren't running, I've tried reinstalling the apps numerous times, all in different combinations...they still don't recognize the device.

I just assume it has something to do with the fact that I replaced a defective Kobo for this new one, the defective Kobo did sync to my account once before it stopped working, is there a limit to one Kobo per account? Hope this helps you guys, let me know. Gabriel
Old 05-03-2010, 07:42 PM   #9
PeterT
Grand Sorcerer
PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Clara, Touch, Tolino EPOS
Gabriel; I too replaced my Kobo and had no problems in either ADE or Kobo Desktop. I did not deinstall either program.
PeterT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2010, 07:49 PM   #10
GabrielR

Hmmm strange, well then I'm at a loss as to why it the App and ADE don't recognize my Kobo, hopefully this will be solved with future software updates.
Old 05-03-2010, 09:39 PM   #11
SameerH
Product Manager
SameerH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameerH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameerH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameerH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameerH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameerH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameerH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameerH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameerH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameerH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameerH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura H2O
Quote:
Originally Posted by GabrielR View Post
Hi Sameer,

I tried using both Mac OS and Windows XP, versions are:

Mac OS X 10.5.8

Windows XP Home Edition 2002 SP3

Both are laptops, both have ADE and the Kobo application installed, both are authorized/signed in on my Kobo account.

When I plug the Kobo into the computer it appears under 'Devices with Removable Storage' in XP and under 'Devices' in MacOS. It lets me browse the device, and I can add files directly to the root directory.

However, the Kobo is never recognized by ADE or the Kobo desktop application. I have tried plugging in the Kobo when these apps are running, when they aren't running, I've tried reinstalling the apps numerous times, all in different combinations...they still don't recognize the device.

I just assume it has something to do with the fact that I replaced a defective Kobo for this new one, the defective Kobo did sync to my account once before it stopped working, is there a limit to one Kobo per account? Hope this helps you guys, let me know. Gabriel
Curiouser and curiouser, and I'm sure very annoying Glad you are using a workaround for now.

It shouldn't matter that you've replaced the unit. We regularly connect many different units to the same machine, and both your OS's are supported.

Favour to ask if you. Is it possible for you to try the unit on a 3rd, fresh machine? We'll also try and reproduce the problem on our side.

In the mean time, email me at shasan at kobobooks dot com so we can contact you off-board as well.
SameerH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2010, 09:58 PM   #12
Jim Lester
Evangelist
Jim Lester is less competitive than you.Jim Lester is less competitive than you.Jim Lester is less competitive than you.Jim Lester is less competitive than you.Jim Lester is less competitive than you.Jim Lester is less competitive than you.Jim Lester is less competitive than you.Jim Lester is less competitive than you.Jim Lester is less competitive than you.Jim Lester is less competitive than you.Jim Lester is less competitive than you.

Device: Nook HD, Nook for Windows 8
Most likely there is a problem with the .adobe-digital-editions directory (note the . in front). You might want to check to see if the folder exists, and if there is a device.xml file inside of the folder.

We haven't had a chance yet to finish the certifications of the Kobo, so I'm not sure of the state of the device firmware.

--
Jim Lester
Adobe Systems
Jim Lester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2010, 08:49 PM   #13
mc5
mc5 began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo
I just received a replacement device for my defective Kobo (only 36 days old, I might add) and now my Kobo account isn't recognizing the new device. There used to be a "sync" icon at the bottom left-hand column on my Kobo account library page and now there isn't, so I can't download my purchased books, and since I was in the middle of a book, and just bought another I am finding this incredibly frustrating.

Any way around this that isn't too tech-heavy?

Honestly, there really should have been instructions on re-installing your replacement device if it doesn't just involve plugging it in as done with previous device.

Oh, how I loved Kobo a month ago and how I loathe it now.
mc5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2010, 01:13 AM   #14
PeterT
Grand Sorcerer
PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Clara, Touch, Tolino EPOS
When you attach it to your PC, does the Kobo show up as a new device?

If not, then you have a problem with the new Kobo as well
PeterT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2010, 01:39 AM   #15
maryji
maryji began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo
I'm having the same problem except that my Kobo is brand new. I downloaded a pdf format book from my local library and it shows up in Adobe Digital, but the program does not recognize my reader. I first used my Mac and then tried my PC with Vista. Even spent time on the telephone with Kobo support. She said the problem must be with the Adobe Digital software. I'm ready to send the reader back for a refund.
maryji is offline   Reply With Quote