Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 12-14-2011, 03:44 PM   #301
EightWeight
Enthusiast
EightWeight began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle4, PW
Quote:
Originally Posted by ekztal View Post
Why do I get a blankscreen when I do this? I put the images into D:\sleepscreens\ via windows and reboot

Is /mnt/us/sleepscreens the same directory as the one that gets mounted in windows when its plugged in via USB?
Yes, it is. My Kindle is the K4 nkso version. If you look at my /var/local/java/prefs/com.amazon.ebook.framework/prefs file:

Code:
#User preferences for Framework
#Tue Dec 13 07:17:54 GMT-04:32 2011
device.tz.lasttz=GMT-04\:32
SUBSCRIBED_ANNOTATIONS_SHOWN=false
ACCESSIBILITY_ENABLED=false
low_level_screens.dir=/opt/amazon/low_level_screens/600x800
clippings.file.name=My Clippings.txt
languageChangeEvent=false
device.tz.ltosec=-16320
lastLocaleSent=en-US
RUN_SETUP=false
POPULAR_HIGHLIGHTS_ENABLED=false
device.tz.autoUpdate=false
locale=en-US
wireless.switch.state=true
USE_CACHE_POLICY=true
you could also change the low_level_screens.dir to point to /mnt/us/whatever_you_want_to_call_it. I did that and the images load much quicker than when I linked the original pointer to it.

I'm curious about the ACCESSIBILITY_ENABLED variable too.

Last edited by EightWeight; 12-14-2011 at 04:31 PM.
EightWeight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2011, 06:34 PM   #302
yifanlu
Kindle Dissector
yifanlu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yifanlu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yifanlu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yifanlu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yifanlu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yifanlu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yifanlu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yifanlu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yifanlu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yifanlu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yifanlu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Amazon Kindle 3
So, my Launcher menu hook is working: http://i.imgur.com/wnLmd.gif

Now, to make it do something...
yifanlu is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-14-2011, 07:22 PM   #303
ekztal
ekztal can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.ekztal can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.ekztal can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.ekztal can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.ekztal can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.ekztal can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.ekztal can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.ekztal can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.ekztal can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.ekztal can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.ekztal can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.

Device: Kindle 3 & 4
Quote:
Originally Posted by EightWeight View Post

you could also change the low_level_screens.dir to point to /mnt/us/whatever_you_want_to_call_it. I did that and the images load much quicker than when I linked the original pointer to it.

I'm curious about the ACCESSIBILITY_ENABLED variable too.

I can change my low_level_screens.dir to /mnt/us/bootscreens and reboot, then it reverts back to /opt/amazon/low_level_screens/600x800 but the screensaver.enable.userdefined=true line I added is still in there. Weird.
ekztal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2011, 10:43 PM   #304
abishur
Enthusiast
abishur is generous with chocolateabishur is generous with chocolateabishur is generous with chocolateabishur is generous with chocolateabishur is generous with chocolateabishur is generous with chocolateabishur is generous with chocolateabishur is generous with chocolateabishur is generous with chocolateabishur is generous with chocolateabishur is generous with chocolate

Device: Kindle 4 Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sir Alex View Post
This SSH hack doesn't include SCP protocol. To enable it, copy sftp-server file from NiLuJe usbNetwork hack to Kindle folder /usr/libexec
And it works! Thanks so much!

I've been playing with the image files in

/usr/share/blanket

to change the default screens when rebooting, usb plugged in, etc. One interesting thing I've discovered is that it is apparently two pictures. The fist is the actual picture I want to replace, but then the second is a bunch of text. The only problem I'm having is I don't know where the text is located so I can remove it! Does anyone know where the Kindle 4 Touch stores the text for the system pictures (USB plugged in, rebooting, etc)?
abishur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2011, 11:18 PM   #305
eGod
eGod began at the beginning.

Device: Gear VR, Oculus GO and others
Cool SSH to Kindle 4 NT

I've been following this thread since its inception and all who have participated deserve a huge cheer.
My interest is purely in updating the screensaver images for my Mums K4.0 nt. It is the 15th so I've got about a week to sort this out before Xmas is upon us.

I am able to drop the kindle into diagnostics by creating the ENABLE_DIAGS file and rebooting. I can then Enable USBnet thru the Diag menu.
I am not able to SSH to the kindle using 192.168.15.244 from a Windows 7 64bit laptop that has an IP set to 192.168.15.1 - I simply get the Unable to connect msg.
I have tried this multiple times in various ways without sucess. I am using Putty to attempt to SSH. I have also tried to telnet in as well. So a few queries in regard to dionoea's instructions (below):
1. Reboot into diag mode
2. Enable usbnetworking and configure the computer side of the link to 192.168.15.1 (or anything in that subnet)
3. ssh to 192.168.15.244 using "root" as login and "mario" as password.
1. Do I need to install Fastboot - I assume no as per dionoea's instructions
2. At what point in time do I connect the USB cable - after step 2(?)
3. After enabling usbnetworking do I need to reboot the kindle?
4. Is the usbnetworking configuration persistent?
5. Any ideas whether one could connect using telnet instead of SSH? (which I had not previously used)

Whilst in an attempt to connect (and failing...again) I also updated the USBnet.xml file, which is created after configuring usbnetworking, to set the ipNumber to zero and which would (hopefully) allow me to connect to the kindle using 192.168.0.244 from my laptop which had an IP in the subnet 192.168.0.*.

This also failed (again... anybody note the common theme here!) to allow me to gain access via SSH
The contents of the USBnet.xml file are as follows:
<?xml version="1.0" standalone="no" ?>
<!-- USB Net info -->
<USB_NetInfo ipNumber="15" device_NFS_path="/mnt/gen3/factory" host_NFS_path="/scratchbox/nfs/factory/" />

So help - if not me then my Mum

I am having thoughts that the problem may well be to do with SSH and Win7 64bit rather than the procedures documented.

I would appreciate any comments from anybody who has managed to do this.

Cheers
eGod is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-14-2011, 11:45 PM   #306
abishur
Enthusiast
abishur is generous with chocolateabishur is generous with chocolateabishur is generous with chocolateabishur is generous with chocolateabishur is generous with chocolateabishur is generous with chocolateabishur is generous with chocolateabishur is generous with chocolateabishur is generous with chocolateabishur is generous with chocolateabishur is generous with chocolate

I know that when I first hooked it up, Windows device manager had it registered as the wrong device. Manually update the drivers to be the RDNIS one. Alternatively, get a live image of ubuntu (linux) and hook up to it that way
Old 12-15-2011, 07:28 AM   #307
EightWeight
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by ekztal View Post
I can change my low_level_screens.dir to /mnt/us/bootscreens and reboot, then it reverts back to /opt/amazon/low_level_screens/600x800 but the screensaver.enable.userdefined=true line I added is still in there. Weird.
As insurance you could do what Belkaar did:

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...&postcount=252
Old 12-15-2011, 07:32 AM   #308
Novo
Enthusiast
Novo began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle PW4
If I SSH to my Kindle with root, i can not access "/etc/init.d/" Scripts. Why?
Novo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2011, 07:33 AM   #309
EightWeight
Enthusiast

Do you get a password rejection? The password "mario" only works on the 4.0 firmware. See https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...&postcount=242.

To be honest, I didn't have any luck in Windows myself. You might want to try the Linux way. If you don't know anything about Linux I'll help you through, but we should probably take this to another thread.
Old 12-15-2011, 08:14 AM   #310
abishur
Enthusiast

you might also need to remount the root file system as read/writable (it displays that warning when you first log in).

To do this just type (without the quotes)

"mntroot rw"

If you're using yifanlu's usbnet, you need to set the password before you SSH in. This can be done by typing (minus the quotes)

";un password YOUR_PASSWORD_HERE"

in the search bar on the main screen of your kindle. Just be sure to replace YOUR_PASSWORD_HERE with the actual password you want to use. Then use the password you set to log in.
Old 12-15-2011, 11:18 AM   #311
abishur
Enthusiast

Still no luck on figuring out where the kindle stores the "If you want to read or shop on your kindle while continuing to charge..." but I am having a lot of fun figuring out the kindle system on the whole, thanks again for working out the jailbreak!\\

Edit: Found it in /usr/share/locale/en/LC_MESSAGES/blanket.mo

Now I just need to figure out how to open a .mo file :P

Last edited by abishur; 12-15-2011 at 11:41 AM.
Old 12-15-2011, 12:21 PM   #312
abishur
Enthusiast

Well shoot, I made a backup of the blanket.mo file, and then copied to my computer, converted it to a .po file, and edited it using poedit, converted it back to a .mo file and put it back on the kindle. It correctly removed the text, but it messed up the screen savers (it doesn't show any screen saver now). But when I restored the backup it didn't actually change anything back! I took a look at the backup and it's also missing the fields I changed.

Anyone have any thoughts on what might be causing that? (or if you can send me a copy of your .mo :P )

PS Do I need to be posting these kind of questions on a different thread?)
Old 12-15-2011, 12:27 PM   #313
ikiller
ikiller began at the beginning.

Device: kindle 4 NT SO
Quote:
Originally Posted by eGod View Post
2. Enable usbnetworking and configure the computer side of the link to 192.168.15.1 (or anything in that subnet)
3. ssh to 192.168.15.244 using "root" as login and "mario" as password.
You need to make sure when you configure the computer side IP information that you are configuring it for the new network adapter that becomes available when you plug in your Kindle. Goto your networking control where you can see the interfaces present (Control Panel->Network and Internet->Network Connections). When you plug in the kindle that is in USB Networking Mode, a new interface should pop up if it is recognized properly and the drivers are present. I forgot what my computer called it, but I had to unplug and replug the USB cable in and out a couple of times sometimes to get it to show up. I am running Windows 7 64 bit Pro and windows recognized it and had the right drivers.

Keep trying!!
ikiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2011, 12:32 PM   #314
5n00py
5n00py began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 4
Localization

Hi all! Today I compile most of the locale-dependent files.
Now we can translate UI of Kindle 4 to another languages.

http://twitter.com/#!/5n00p4eg/statu...942145/photo/1

On this foto few string translated to russian lang.
My method doesn't replace exists langs, just add another.

I already write some useful scripts.

My method is as follows:
1. Get all jars from kindle
2. copy and unzip lang-dependent(en_GB) (shell script)
3. decomile .class files to source .java files with JAD (shell script)
4. replace all references to en_GB by selected locale (shell script)
5. Fix some problems in .java files (hands)
6. Translate 195(!!!) .java files (hands)
7. Build (shell script)
8. Pack to jars (shell script)
9. move to kindle
10. add translation to settings (/opt/amazon/ebook/config/locales/)
11. Reboot
12. Select new locale & reboot
13. See new UI translation.

------
Works on Kindle 4 not-touch with 4.0.0 firmware
5n00py is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2011, 12:57 PM   #315
Sir Alex
Groupie
Sir Alex once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Sir Alex once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Sir Alex once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Sir Alex once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Sir Alex once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Sir Alex once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Sir Alex once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Sir Alex once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Sir Alex once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Sir Alex once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Sir Alex once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Device: Kindle 4
5n00py, K4 already localized to Russian and Polish

Last edited by Sir Alex; 12-15-2011 at 01:07 PM.
Sir Alex is offline   Reply With Quote