Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Formats > ePub

Notices

Old 09-24-2011, 02:30 AM   #1
Snooty Baronet
Snooty Baronet began at the beginning.

Device: Iphone 4
Rudy Rucker on Making Epubs

The science fiction author Rudy Rucker has just posted a useful, basic guide to creating epubs using common software:

http://www.rudyrucker.com/blog/2011/...ur-own-ebooks/

Rudy uses Adobe Dreamweaver to filter Word crap from his (already) filtered HTML files. Is there a free HTML editor that does something similar?
Snooty Baronet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2011, 04:01 AM   #2
Toxaris
Wizard
Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-T1, Kobo Touch, Kobo Aura
You can easily remove it by hand. It is not that complicated and a few good RegEx expressions will help.
Toxaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-24-2011, 01:50 PM   #3
Keroberos
Zealot
Keroberos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Keroberos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Keroberos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Keroberos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Keroberos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Keroberos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Keroberos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Keroberos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Keroberos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Keroberos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Keroberos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Mini (4GB), Nook Classic wi-fi, iPod Touch (Bluefire Reader)
There's also a few websites that can clean word html files. I use this one ocasionally http://www.wordhtmlcleaner.co.uk/. It does have a 1 megabyte file limit so you might have to split your word file. You still have to do some cleanup though (it converts all the <p> tags into <br /> tags)

Last edited by Keroberos; 09-24-2011 at 02:23 PM. Reason: added more info
Keroberos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2011, 05:02 PM   #4
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
Quote:
You still have to do some cleanup though (it converts all the <p> tags into <br /> tags)
Ouch!
DiapDealer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2011, 07:14 PM   #5
Keroberos
Zealot
Keroberos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Keroberos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Keroberos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Keroberos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Keroberos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Keroberos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Keroberos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Keroberos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Keroberos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Keroberos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Keroberos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

It's actually not to bad, just find/replace the <br /> with <p> then let Sigil automatically close the tag and you're ready to start adding your own formatting.
Advert
Old 09-24-2011, 07:21 PM   #6
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
Quote:
It's actually not to bad, just find/replace the <br /> with <p> then let Sigil automatically close the tag and you're ready to start adding your own formatting.
I rarely let any program "automatically" make wholesale changes to my html. I'm too much of a control freak.

I've experienced disasters relying on Sigil to close tags properly on it's own (as much as I love Sigil), but if the process works for you....
DiapDealer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2011, 07:37 PM   #7
Keroberos
Zealot

I agree, I never let Sigil automatically close tags after I have started applying formating (I've experienced disasters there too). But as a first step if anything goes wrong not too much time is lost, usually less then the time it takes to manually remove word's retarded html formating). also I suck at regular expressions, so this way is actually faster for me (and removes almost all formating but headings, italics and bolds, so is useful for those times I want to completely remove all formating). And this seems to be one case where Sigil doesn't have a problem closing the tags automatically.
Old 09-25-2011, 01:35 AM   #8
Snooty Baronet
Snooty Baronet began at the beginning.

Device: Iphone 4
Quote:
Originally Posted by Keroberos View Post
There's also a few websites that can clean word html files. I use this one ocasionally http://www.wordhtmlcleaner.co.uk/. It does have a 1 megabyte file limit so you might have to split your word file. You still have to do some cleanup though (it converts all the <p> tags into <br /> tags)
Thanks! I'll check it out.
Snooty Baronet is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
epub, rucker, sigil