Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 01-13-2011, 12:35 PM   #1
coaver
coaver began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 3 & Kindle for Android
Please help with Calibre Series Information

Hi, I just had to switch computers because my old ones died. I had to restore my Calibre data from an old "save to disk" back up I did. I converted and saved all my 500+ ebooks with and in Calibre previously. After adding the books back in to Calibre from my "save to disk" it looks like all of my "series" information is gone now.

1. Is there a way to save the series information in the mobi file so that this does not happen again?

2. Is this information in the metadata and I have to extract it somehow?

3. What steps do I need to take in the future to be sure that the series information is saved in my actual ebook files?

Any assistance you can provide would be greatly appreciated.

Coaver
coaver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2011, 12:50 PM   #2
user_none
Sigil & calibre developer
user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook STR
The reason the series information is not showing up is because MOBI metadata does not store series information. Neither does EPUB. Your best bet for saving a much metadata as possible is to backup your calibre library itself as it is.
user_none is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-13-2011, 03:31 PM   #3
DoctorOhh
US Navy, Retired
DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Icarus Illumina XL HD, Nexus 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by coaver View Post
1. Is there a way to save the series information in the mobi file so that this does not happen again?
As stated by user_none not all metadata is saved in any ebook format. If when using the Save to Disk feature you had the save metadata in opf file checked along with the two settings above it (see attached) your series info would have been recovered.

Quote:
2. Is this information in the metadata and I have to extract it somehow?
No

Quote:
3. What steps do I need to take in the future to be sure that the series information is saved in my actual ebook files?
The series info isn't saved in the books metadata.

You can use the Save to disk (with the three options I indicated) feature to save your library of books including series info. After doing so switch to a empty folder and prove that it works by adding them all back in. A backup isn't a backup unless it works.

I believe your best bet is to save the entire calibre library folder (for all of your books and custom recipes) and the calibre config folder (for any plugins). When saving the entire library, ensure all subfolders and files are also saved.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	saving_books_to_disk.jpg
Views:	431
Size:	63.0 KB
ID:	64706  
DoctorOhh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2011, 10:21 PM   #4
coaver
coaver began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 3 & Kindle for Android
dwanthny:

Thank you for that very specific information. I have some work ahead of me but now I know how to save my files and will back them up in this format in the future. Thank you for your help. This is exactly what I needed.
coaver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2011, 02:01 PM   #5
gweminence
Fat Guy
gweminence can name that song in three notesgweminence can name that song in three notesgweminence can name that song in three notesgweminence can name that song in three notesgweminence can name that song in three notesgweminence can name that song in three notesgweminence can name that song in three notesgweminence can name that song in three notesgweminence can name that song in three notesgweminence can name that song in three notesgweminence can name that song in three notes

Device: Kindle Voyage
Coaver, If you don't mind picking through metadata -- which it sounds like you're going to have to do anyway, now -- simply select the books in a given series, and press ctl-d. This will download from the internet the book's info, and 99% of the time both the series, and series #.

You could actually do your whole library like that all in one shot, but it would take significant time, and I've found that there are enough mistakes in the public metadata downloads that it's worth doing a few at a time in order to ensure good quality.
gweminence is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert

Tags
calibre, series