Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 05-08-2010, 06:22 PM   #1
mwlcarter
Connoisseur
mwlcarter began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo eReader
SD cards... SDHC through firmware upgrade?

Hello.

I don't know a lot about SD hardware, but I'm hoping that support for SDHC cards can be added in future via a firmware upgrade?

The reason being simply that there are fewer and fewer non-SDHC cards available for purchase at retail (there aren't any 4GB non-SDHC that I can find, for instance).

Besides which, it'd be nice to have the capability to use a 16GB card, even if it's extremely unlikely that I'd ever need to carry thousands and thousands of books with me at any given time. ;-)

Mark
mwlcarter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2010, 08:02 PM   #2
Bluebizzer
Bluebizzer , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Bluebizzer , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Bluebizzer , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Bluebizzer , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Bluebizzer , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Bluebizzer , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Bluebizzer , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Bluebizzer , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Bluebizzer , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Bluebizzer , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Bluebizzer , Klaatu Barada Niktu!

Device: Kobo
I hope so, would be nice to have that option.

That was one thing that made me hesitate on getting one as have a handful of SDHC cards but not one standard one, luckily the internal memory is enough that I probably wont ever have a need for any more.
Bluebizzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2010, 08:36 PM   #3
DaleDe
Grand Sorcerer
DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: EB 1150, EZ Reader, Literati, iPad 2 & Air 2, iPhone 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by mwlcarter View Post
Hello.

I don't know a lot about SD hardware, but I'm hoping that support for SDHC cards can be added in future via a firmware upgrade?

The reason being simply that there are fewer and fewer non-SDHC cards available for purchase at retail (there aren't any 4GB non-SDHC that I can find, for instance).

Besides which, it'd be nice to have the capability to use a 16GB card, even if it's extremely unlikely that I'd ever need to carry thousands and thousands of books with me at any given time. ;-)

Mark
Standard SD cards only run up to a capacity of 2GB. After that they are all SDHC cards from 4GB to 32GB.

Dale
DaleDe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2010, 02:51 AM   #4
Orochi
Connoisseur
Orochi , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Orochi , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Orochi , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Orochi , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Orochi , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Orochi , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Orochi , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Orochi , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Orochi , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Orochi , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Orochi , Klaatu Barada Niktu!

Device: Kobo, Ipod Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by mwlcarter View Post
Hello.

Mark
Funny - I'm using a 4gb SDHC card with no problems, other than it seems to suck up power a little when accessing the card. However, I've only tried it with one epub file and one pdf file and the pdf loads really fast, but the epub took longer, and that might be just that particular book. I haven't experimented with it too much yet. I mainly bought the SD card because I got it really super cheap and I thought I might need it in the future. It also keeps the dust out of the hole - LOL.
Orochi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2010, 04:21 AM   #5
anidel
Zealot
anidel doesn't litteranidel doesn't litter

Device: Kobo,Nokia N900
Yeah I do think it can handle SDHC just fine.. there shall be some other limitation in software that prevents larger sizes.

I put it my 8Gb miniSD with an SD adapter, and it didn't mount it, but I was able to use the miniSD from a PC to where the Kobo was connected.

So, yeah, the SD reader in that does support SDHC for sure.
anidel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2010, 04:34 AM   #6
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Orochi View Post
Funny - I'm using a 4gb SDHC card with no problems, other than it seems to suck up power a little when accessing the card.
You'll probably find that the device will not recognize more than 2GB on the card, though, if there's no firmware support for SDHC.

SDHC support should be a firmware issue, not a hardware one. Given that the Kobo is based on the Netronix EB600, the card controller almost certainly supports SDHC.

Last edited by HarryT; 05-09-2010 at 04:36 AM.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2010, 06:39 AM   #7
Orochi
Connoisseur
Orochi , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Orochi , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Orochi , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Orochi , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Orochi , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Orochi , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Orochi , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Orochi , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Orochi , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Orochi , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Orochi , Klaatu Barada Niktu!

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
You'll probably find that the device will not recognize more than 2GB on the card, though, if there's no firmware support for SDHC.

SDHC support should be a firmware issue, not a hardware one. Given that the Kobo is based on the Netronix EB600, the card controller almost certainly supports SDHC.
I haven't loaded very many books onto the SDHC card yet, but if I go into the Settings Overview on the Reader itself - it does recognize all 4gb (or close to it anyways) under the Removable Storage heading.

And to be perfectly honest I don't remember reading that we couldn't use an SDHC, but then again we all know what excellent documentation came with the Kobo, lol.

EDIT - From the FAQ section on koboreader.com

13. What type of SD card does the Kobo eReader support?
The Kobo eReader supports SD cards up to 4GB in size. SD High Capacity (SDHC) cards are not supported.

Still seems weird to me - maybe my SD card is labeled wrong - but it does say SDHC right on the card and the reader is saying 4g is there!

Last edited by Orochi; 05-09-2010 at 06:45 AM.
Old 05-09-2010, 06:52 AM   #8
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Orochi View Post
I haven't loaded very many books onto the SDHC card yet, but if I go into the Settings Overview on the Reader itself - it does recognize all 4gb (or close to it anyways) under the Removable Storage heading.
I'm just going from what's happened with other readers in the past which have had hardware SDHC support, but no firmware support - eg the Sony PRS-505. With those, all 4GB show up in the card capacity, but content beyond the 2GB point can't be read. The Sony subsequently had a firmware update which added SDHC support, and then high-capacity cards worked fine.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2010, 06:57 AM   #9
Orochi
Connoisseur

Interesting - well it's going to be a while before I fill it up anyways - And like I said, I got it really super cheap, so what the hey.

Tags
sdhc, storage