Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Uploads - Patricia Clark Memorial Library > ePub Books

Notices

Old 08-13-2013, 03:03 AM   #136
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Prestidigitweeze View Post
If the terms of U.S. copyright law are always the life of the author plus 70 years, then why has Axel's Castle been available on archive.org since 2005? Does that San-Francisco-based site not honor said terms in its own country?
I'm afraid there's an awful lot of illegal content on "archive.org", so please always check the legality of material there before posting a link to it. Please delete the link you previously posted - as you know, we don't allow links to pirated material.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2013, 03:23 AM   #137
Jellby
frumious Bandersnatch
Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Cybook Orizon, Kobo Aura
Quote:
If the terms of U.S. copyright law are always the life of the author plus 70 years, then why has Axel's Castle been available on archive.org since 2005? Does that San-Francisco-based site not honor said terms in its own country?
It could be that copyright failed to be renewed at some point (it used to work like that in the US, I believe)
Jellby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2013, 05:07 AM   #138
Prestidigitweeze
Fledgling Demagogue
Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Clara HD; Oasis 2; Aura HD; iPad Air; PRS-350; Galaxy S7.
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
I'm afraid there's an awful lot of illegal content on "archive.org", so please always check the legality of material there before posting a link to it. Please delete the link you previously posted - as you know, we don't allow links to pirated material.
Done.

Harry:

You might want to look at this thread as well. On it, you and pstjmack discuss creating an edited version of the archive.org epub at length without anyone ever noticing that Axel's Castle is not out of copyright. When I searched for the book here and found that discussion, it seemed to be another indication that the book was fair game.

Last edited by Prestidigitweeze; 08-13-2013 at 06:30 AM.
Prestidigitweeze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2013, 07:31 AM   #139
mrmikel
Color me gone
mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-300
Project Gutenberg put out a list of copyright renewals from 1950-1977. This book is shown as copyright renewed in 1958, alas.

Archive is getting better at not putting up copyrighted books, but it is still not perfect and it takes some time to get something which is still in copyright removed.
mrmikel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2013, 08:42 AM   #140
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Done.

Harry:

You might want to look at this thread as well. On it, you and pstjmack discuss creating an edited version of the archive.org epub at length without anyone ever noticing that Axel's Castle is not out of copyright. When I searched for the book here and found that discussion, it seemed to be another indication that the book was fair game.
Thank you very much indeed. I'll edit that!
Old 08-13-2013, 02:11 PM   #141
DaleDe
Grand Sorcerer
DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: EB 1150, EZ Reader, Literati, iPad 2 & Air 2, iPhone 7
Quote:
Axel's Castle was published in 1931. I hadn't even thought to check Wilson's dates because the book has been available from Archive.org for such a long time. I used to have copies of his diary-derived books, The Twenties and The Thirties and thought of him as Fitzgerald's contemporary, which he was.

I also hadn't realized that even Fitz's books won't be in the public domain until 2021.

there are lots of books in the public domain in the US due to grandfather clauses in US law but that does not matter on this site as the owner of the site has decided to use European law instead of US law moving forward. There are very valid reasons for his decision and we will be honoring it.

The current U.S. law agrees with this decision but as I have said there are grandfather terms about copyrights in the U.S. and their expiration and renewal terms.

Dale
DaleDe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2013, 04:46 PM   #142
blueaura7
blueaura7 began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo
Hi all,

Has any one come across the following:

- The Lady Rochford Saga Part 1: Into the Ranks of the Deceived by Danielle marchant
- Dear Henry: Confessions of the Queens by judith arnopp
- By Loyalty Bound by Elizabeth Ashworth
- Dear Heart, How Like You This? by Wendy J. Dunn
- Betrayal by Michele Kallio
- The Medici mirror by Melissa Bailey
- Ambition's Queen by V.E. Lynne
- Reluctant Queen: The Story of Henry VIII's Defiant Little Sister by geraldine evans

Thanks in advance. :-)
blueaura7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2013, 05:46 PM   #143
Billi
Wizard
Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Cybook, iRex, PB, Onyx
blueaura7, I think you will find most of these books at amazon.

This library here is strictly for books that are in the public domain or have some other free licence.
Billi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2013, 06:23 PM   #144
Greg Anos
Grand Sorcerer
Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook
Quote:
Axel's Castle was published in 1931. I hadn't even thought to check Wilson's dates because the book has been available from Archive.org for such a long time. I used to have copies of his diary-derived books, The Twenties and The Thirties and thought of him as Fitzgerald's contemporary, which he was.

I also hadn't realized that even Fitz's books won't be in the public domain until 2021.

Welcome to US copyright...I wrote a sticky with all the gory bits here on MR, it's around here somewhere.

Anything after 1922 is still under copyright unless the copyright was not renewed after 28 years. That's what all these extensions have been about. The Life + X has been a cover, the real purpose is to keep the existing copyright materials under copyright forever. (Or at least as long as Congresscritters can be bribed...)
Greg Anos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2014, 09:27 AM   #145
Elee
Banned
Elee began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Touch
Pretty Please!

Hi can I request for the deadlocked 2nd series, I think it's 5-7 by A.R. Wise and the Zomblog by T.W, Brown, thanks!
Elee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2014, 09:40 AM   #146
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

Moderator Notice
Banned for requesting copyrighted books. Don't say you weren't warned.
Old 03-07-2014, 01:47 AM   #147
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie
eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Beaten Path, USA, Roundworld, This Side of Infinity
Device: Kindle Touch fw5.3.7 (Wifi only)
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnysamajhdar View Post
Can i have this book in epub format Chicken Soup For The Indian Golden Soul stories for people over 60. Author: Jack Canfield Mark Victor Hansen Raksha Bharad. Thanks in advance friends. Please let me know if this is a copyright book or not. I am not aware of it actually. So please confirm it as i am new to all this.
It's copyrighted, as are many/most books published after 1923.
eschwartz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2014, 04:01 AM   #148
Jellby
frumious Bandersnatch
Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Cybook Orizon, Kobo Aura
Quote:
Originally Posted by eschwartz View Post
Don't be so quick. That's US copyright, here we follow the life+70 rule.

Still, at least one of the authors is still alive, so yes, the book is copyrighted and the request has been deleted.
Jellby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2014, 04:03 AM   #149
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by eschwartz View Post
It's entirely irrelevant when the book was published. All that matters is when the author(s) died.
Old 03-07-2014, 01:34 PM   #150
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie
eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Beaten Path, USA, Roundworld, This Side of Infinity
Device: Kindle Touch fw5.3.7 (Wifi only)
As a rough guideline, it does all right to say when you can say for sure, but in this case, as the book was published 2 years ago, its definitely not public domain. Perhaps in a number of years from now, once there has actually been enough time for more books than the ones which went public domain back in The Day, to go public domain, I would be giving a more thorough answer. AND assuming it isn't extended again.

I suppose I could go into a 2-page lecture on all the ins and outs, but the end result is basically the same. If it wasn't written before 1923, is it public domain? Most likely not.

Was it written within the last 3 years? Yes? Oh, then definitely not.
eschwartz is offline   Reply With Quote