Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Android Devices

Notices

Old 12-29-2012, 10:04 PM   #1
roadstar
roadstar began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo
Can't connect to Calibre from another location

I have Calibre set up and working, no problem, with devices and computers accessing my wireless network. However, I can't connect to my Calibre library from another person's computer. Says can't display this page, error.
Any tips? Is there something I'm missing?
Thanks!
roadstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2012, 10:21 PM   #2
Cdesja5
Wizard
Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Lots and lots of electronic gadgets...
Quote:
Originally Posted by roadstar View Post
I have Calibre set up and working, no problem, with devices and computers accessing my wireless network. However, I can't connect to my Calibre library from another person's computer. Says can't display this page, error.
Any tips? Is there something I'm missing?
Thanks!
Are you using your own network to connect? ie: is this other person's computer using your local network? If not, it won't work... You usually have to use a catalogue like Calibre 2OPDS to connect remotely.
Cdesja5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2012, 10:36 PM   #3
roadstar
roadstar began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo
Thanks for the info. Yes, all are connected to my wireless. However, the documentation clearly says "access over the net" using the server. This gives the impression that I can access from my friend's house, wifi hotspot...or wherever. It is a little misleading. I would like to share my library with a couple of other people. I'll investigate Calibre 2OPDS...
roadstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2012, 10:45 PM   #4
Cdesja5
Wizard
Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Lots and lots of electronic gadgets...
I use Dropbox. Create a calibre library as a folder directly in Dropbox and then share the folder. Each of you has to have a Dropbox account on your computer.
Cdesja5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2012, 04:31 AM   #5
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Consider the fact that, if you were to make your Calibre library publicly available on the Internet, then unless all your books were in the public domain you would in effect be setting up your own pirate book site. You would need to provide an authentication mechanism to ensure that only you could access it, otherwise you could find yourself in very hot water, legally. That's the reason that the Calibre server is only visible to your own private network. It's also worth bearing in mind that "sharing your library with a couple of other people" may well constitute copyright infringement, unless the publisher permits such sharing.

Last edited by HarryT; 12-30-2012 at 04:36 AM.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2012, 04:39 PM   #6
=X=
Wizard
=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Galaxy S, Nook w/CM7
Quote:
... However, the documentation clearly says "access over the net" using the server. This gives the impression that I can access from my friend's house, wifi hotspot...or wherever. It is a little misleading...
It's not misleading, it just assumes you have basic network knowledge.

To get the calibre Web server to display you usually have to port forward from your port, but without knowledge of your network setup it is hard to give advice.
=X= is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 03:24 AM   #7
DoctorOhh
US Navy, Retired
DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Icarus Illumina XL HD, Nexus 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by =X= View Post
Quote:
... However, the documentation clearly says "access over the net" using the server. This gives the impression that I can access from my friend's house, wifi hotspot...or wherever. It is a little misleading...
It's not misleading, it just assumes you have basic network knowledge.

To get the calibre Web server to display you usually have to port forward from your port, but without knowledge of your network setup it is hard to give advice.
Well said =X= very true.

@roadstar
calibre is like every other program (thinks MMO game servers that you want to run from your home) that needs access to the outside world and ports forwarded. Setting up your network is up to you, calibre can't do that for you. Review these links to figure out how to forward a port and allow outside access to your calibre library. If you can't sort it out post in the calibre forum for help.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
Consider the fact that, if you were to make your Calibre library publicly available on the Internet, then unless all your books were in the public domain you would in effect be setting up your own pirate book site. You would need to provide an authentication mechanism to ensure that only you could access it, otherwise you could find yourself in very hot water, legally.
HarryT I see you repeat this multiple times and I agree folks need to be reminded about providing authentication. I'm just not sure that you realize that password authentication is built into calibre's content server. You can turn it off or on as you wish, but it is a built-in option. Maybe you could work this small fact into your standard warning next time.
DoctorOhh is offline   Reply With Quote