Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 09-26-2012, 10:39 AM   #16
QuantumIguana
Philosopher
QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 2 gen, Kindle Fire 1st Gen, Kindle Touch
Nobody owns atoms, and you're made of atoms. Give me those atoms! Who said you could hoard all that carbon?
QuantumIguana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2012, 08:00 PM   #17
Giggleton
Banned
Giggleton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Giggleton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Giggleton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Giggleton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Giggleton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Giggleton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Giggleton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Giggleton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Giggleton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Giggleton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Giggleton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle3
Well now you're starting to make some sense, no one owns anything, therefore everyone should be able to read everything, that follows from your premise right? Of course we can just replace atoms with all of creation and get the same result.

But I can't advocate piracy, not that I ever thought I did.
Giggleton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2012, 08:36 AM   #18
kennyc
The Dank Side of the Moon
kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle2; Kindle Fire
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeB1972 View Post
Pretty sure the Bee Gees own the copright to Words
It is only words after all.

kennyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2012, 02:10 PM   #19
drjenkins
Addict
drjenkins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drjenkins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drjenkins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drjenkins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drjenkins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drjenkins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drjenkins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drjenkins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drjenkins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drjenkins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drjenkins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
This thread reminds me of the old Steven Wright bit:

Why is the alphabet in that order?
Is it because of that song?
The guy who wrote that song wrote everything.

-drjenkins
drjenkins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2012, 02:38 PM   #20
QuantumIguana
Philosopher
QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Giggleton View Post
Well now you're starting to make some sense, no one owns anything, therefore everyone should be able to read everything, that follows from your premise right? Of course we can just replace atoms with all of creation and get the same result.

But I can't advocate piracy, not that I ever thought I did.
If no one owns anything, I don't even own the carbon atoms in my body. Yet, I would very much like to continue using my skin.
Old 09-27-2012, 03:08 PM   #21
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by QuantumIguana View Post
If no one owns anything, I don't even own the carbon atoms in my body. Yet, I would very much like to continue using my skin.
Expect a DMCA take-down notice regarding your current spleen. I have reason to believe I own the rights to it.
DiapDealer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2012, 03:16 PM   #22
Jozawun
Fanatic
Jozawun ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jozawun ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jozawun ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jozawun ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jozawun ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jozawun ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jozawun ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jozawun ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jozawun ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jozawun ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jozawun ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Cybook Gen 3, Pocketbook 902, Sony 650
Quote:
Originally Posted by DiapDealer View Post
Expect a DMCA take-down notice regarding your current spleen. I have reason to believe I own the rights to it.
I rather thought JSWolf had staked out exclusive rights to spleen around here.
Jozawun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2012, 03:20 PM   #23
Bilbo1967
Not scared!
Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 10, Huawei M5 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jozawun View Post
I rather thought JSWolf had staked out exclusive rights to spleen around here.
No, JSWolf has almost exclusive rights to dogmatism, spleen is pretty well distributed.
Bilbo1967 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2012, 03:39 PM   #24
Jozawun
Fanatic
Jozawun ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jozawun ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jozawun ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jozawun ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jozawun ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jozawun ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jozawun ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jozawun ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jozawun ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jozawun ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jozawun ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Cybook Gen 3, Pocketbook 902, Sony 650
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bilbo1967 View Post
No, JSWolf has almost exclusive rights to dogmatism, spleen is pretty well distributed.
I stand corrected.
Jozawun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2012, 04:03 PM   #25
QuantumIguana
Philosopher

Quote:
Originally Posted by DiapDealer View Post
As it turns out, my spleen is genetically nearly identical to yours. It is clearly a derivative work, with only minor alterations. I had planned on continuing to use it, but you just may have have a legal right to vent my spleen.

But if you look at it from a perspective outside the universe, spleens are for everyone. Spleens want to be free. So, go ahead, step outside of the universe, and look at it from that vantage point. I'll just keep using my spleen until you get back.

... that might make a good title for a book: "Not Without my Spleen".
Old 09-27-2012, 08:19 PM   #26
Giggleton
Banned
Giggleton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Giggleton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Giggleton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Giggleton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Giggleton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Giggleton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Giggleton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Giggleton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Giggleton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Giggleton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Giggleton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by QuantumIguana View Post
Why should non-ownership mean non-use?
Old 09-27-2012, 08:20 PM   #27
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
Because I took my ball and went home?
DiapDealer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2012, 12:55 PM   #28
Penforhire
Wizard
Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage & iPhone 7+
Non-ownership generally means free for the taking. As Iguana mentioned, you can take my carbon atoms over my cold dead body (excluding what I exhale or otherwise emit). Ownership means you can't use mine.
Penforhire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2012, 07:11 PM   #29
Giggleton
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Penforhire View Post
Non-ownership generally means free for the taking. As Iguana mentioned, you can take my carbon atoms over my cold dead body (excluding what I exhale or otherwise emit). Ownership means you can't use mine.
Well I guess we run into problems when we use general meanings then. Let's use a more specific meaning of the term non-ownership. This means that the object in question is owned by everyone. Therefore we all have equal rights to the object.

Extending from one object to all, we cannot take anything because it is already there.
Old 09-29-2012, 10:19 PM   #30
QuantumIguana
Philosopher

Quote:
Originally Posted by Giggleton View Post
Well I guess we run into problems when we use general meanings then. Let's use a more specific meaning of the term non-ownership. This means that the object in question is owned by everyone. Therefore we all have equal rights to the object.
So, I have rights to your organs which are equal to yours?