Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 12-11-2011, 12:08 PM   #256
Ceuse
Ceuse knows what time it isCeuse knows what time it isCeuse knows what time it isCeuse knows what time it isCeuse knows what time it isCeuse knows what time it isCeuse knows what time it isCeuse knows what time it isCeuse knows what time it isCeuse knows what time it isCeuse knows what time it is

Device: Kindle 4 Non Touch & Kindle Keyboard
Can someone write up a sticky jailbreak faq for kindle nt / kindle touch, i know its all here but i am (and probably some other users aswell) am a bit confused since were talking about 2 difrent devices here.

something like

kindle touch :

-get the mp3 and play it on your kindle
- tada
- screensaver explanation
- usb network
- etc
kindle nt :

-a
-b
-c
- tada
- screensaver explanation
- usb network
- etc

also yifanlu
Ceuse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2011, 12:42 PM   #257
dionoea
Enthusiast
dionoea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dionoea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dionoea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dionoea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dionoea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dionoea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dionoea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dionoea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dionoea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dionoea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dionoea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle 4
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlexeyII View Post
This stuff need because in PROD mode needed files in /usr/local absent, and startup scripts cannot run usbnetwork & dropbear services
Requirements: Kindle 4 no touch 4.0.0 firmware, installed jailbreak
Couldn't you just copy the /usr/local directory from the /dev/mmcblk0p2 partition? Until amazon starts removing stuff from the diag image it should work well enough.
dionoea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2011, 01:19 PM   #258
Belkaar
Belkaar began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 4
Quote:
Originally Posted by dionoea View Post
Couldn't you just copy the /usr/local directory from the /dev/mmcblk0p2 partition? Until amazon starts removing stuff from the diag image it should work well enough.
Yes one could and should. i updated the tutorial
Belkaar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2011, 02:12 PM   #259
AlexeyII
AlexeyII began at the beginning.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dionoea View Post
-i also rewrote /usr/local/bin/usbnetwork script to restore usbnetwork functionality
-remain files are copied from diag's /usr/local
AlexeyII is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2011, 02:54 PM   #260
abishur
Enthusiast
abishur is generous with chocolateabishur is generous with chocolateabishur is generous with chocolateabishur is generous with chocolateabishur is generous with chocolateabishur is generous with chocolateabishur is generous with chocolateabishur is generous with chocolateabishur is generous with chocolateabishur is generous with chocolateabishur is generous with chocolate

Device: Kindle 4 Touch
So is there a way to get ssh on the touch? I saw that we can get into fastboot, I don't suppose we can take advantage of that to copy the SSH binary over?
abishur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2011, 03:15 PM   #261
Adalmetal
Adalmetal began at the beginning.

Device: kindle touch
I think jailbreak didn't go through...

Hi everyone, i've been following this thread for long time now, and i just realized that Yinfalu just released his jailbreak.

I'd like to thank Yinfalu for the hard work he's been doing and for providing us with the possibility of running other software in the kindle family (especially the touch that i have)

I went to jailbreak my KT and followed all the process described in the reading, somehow, it didn't finish like the video that Yinfalu posted, somehow my kindle shows the screen that says Jailbreak, but for some reason after the screen flashes my kindle show the screensaver and remains locked.

I power it on again, and it sends me to the last menu I was in... anyways I tried it few times, and I always got the same result. And I couldn't find if the kindle actually got jailbroken, since there is no difference at all...is it jailbroken?

My kindle is a Wifi SO version... let me know if it's jailbroken or if maybe I have to redo it... Thanks...
Adalmetal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2011, 03:29 PM   #262
AlexeyII
AlexeyII began at the beginning.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adalmetal View Post
And I couldn't find if the kindle actually got jailbroken, since there is no difference at all...is it jailbroken?
kindle's jailbreaking mean ability to run selfmade code/scripts, and you kindle ready to run this stuff, just wait for finished modification
AlexeyII is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2011, 03:45 PM   #263
yifanlu
Kindle Dissector
yifanlu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yifanlu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yifanlu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yifanlu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yifanlu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yifanlu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yifanlu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yifanlu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yifanlu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yifanlu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yifanlu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Amazon Kindle 3
Quote:
Hi everyone, i've been following this thread for long time now, and i just realized that Yinfalu just released his jailbreak.

I'd like to thank Yinfalu for the hard work he's been doing and for providing us with the possibility of running other software in the kindle family (especially the touch that i have)

I went to jailbreak my KT and followed all the process described in the reading, somehow, it didn't finish like the video that Yinfalu posted, somehow my kindle shows the screen that says Jailbreak, but for some reason after the screen flashes my kindle show the screensaver and remains locked.

I power it on again, and it sends me to the last menu I was in... anyways I tried it few times, and I always got the same result. And I couldn't find if the kindle actually got jailbroken, since there is no difference at all...is it jailbroken?

My kindle is a Wifi SO version... let me know if it's jailbroken or if maybe I have to redo it... Thanks...
Read the readme
yifanlu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2011, 04:01 PM   #264
Adalmetal
Adalmetal began at the beginning.

Device: kindle touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlexeyII View Post
kindle's jailbreaking mean ability to run selfmade code/scripts, and you kindle ready to run this stuff, just wait for finished modification
Thanks for the reply..

I just tested it with Yinfalu's aplication to change the screensaver and it installed it... unfortunately I have the KT SO, so this doesn't work on my kindle... but I'm hoping to see soon a screensaver hack for the SO models...

I'd like to have the option of having personalized screensavers, but also keeping the speacial offers available (special offers are cool!). I hope that someone figures out how to do this...
Adalmetal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2011, 04:17 PM   #265
abishur
Enthusiast
abishur is generous with chocolateabishur is generous with chocolateabishur is generous with chocolateabishur is generous with chocolateabishur is generous with chocolateabishur is generous with chocolateabishur is generous with chocolateabishur is generous with chocolateabishur is generous with chocolateabishur is generous with chocolateabishur is generous with chocolate

Device: Kindle 4 Touch
Wheee! Thanks yifanlu!
abishur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2011, 06:43 PM   #266
yifanlu
Kindle Dissector
yifanlu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yifanlu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yifanlu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yifanlu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yifanlu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yifanlu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yifanlu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yifanlu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yifanlu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yifanlu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yifanlu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Amazon Kindle 3
Quote:
Thanks for the reply..

I just tested it with Yinfalu's aplication to change the screensaver and it installed it... unfortunately I have the KT SO, so this doesn't work on my kindle... but I'm hoping to see soon a screensaver hack for the SO models...

I'd like to have the option of having personalized screensavers, but also keeping the speacial offers available (special offers are cool!). I hope that someone figures out how to do this...
Pay amazon $30 and you can freely switch between custom screensavers and KSO from amazon.com/myk
yifanlu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2011, 11:21 PM   #267
hondamarlboro
Enthusiast
hondamarlboro turned on, tuned in, and dropped out.hondamarlboro turned on, tuned in, and dropped out.hondamarlboro turned on, tuned in, and dropped out.hondamarlboro turned on, tuned in, and dropped out.hondamarlboro turned on, tuned in, and dropped out.hondamarlboro turned on, tuned in, and dropped out.hondamarlboro turned on, tuned in, and dropped out.hondamarlboro turned on, tuned in, and dropped out.hondamarlboro turned on, tuned in, and dropped out.hondamarlboro turned on, tuned in, and dropped out.hondamarlboro turned on, tuned in, and dropped out.

Device: Kindle2, Kindle3, Kindle4, Kindle Touch, Kindle Fire
Quote:
Originally Posted by Belkaar View Post
Of course there is always risk for bricking your kindle.
Most of the information above (including the script) I got from the internet and this forum. It's just all packaged in one place.
Thank you for updates and your informative solution.
hondamarlboro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2011, 01:51 AM   #268
bartveld
Evangelist
bartveld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bartveld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bartveld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bartveld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bartveld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bartveld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bartveld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bartveld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bartveld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bartveld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bartveld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KA1, Galaxy S8, Galaxy Tab A 10.1, ReMarkable
OK, so there is a jailbreak. Is it now possible to change the fonts on the Touch like we can on the K3?
bartveld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2011, 09:27 AM   #269
Ceuse
Ceuse knows what time it isCeuse knows what time it isCeuse knows what time it isCeuse knows what time it isCeuse knows what time it isCeuse knows what time it isCeuse knows what time it isCeuse knows what time it isCeuse knows what time it isCeuse knows what time it isCeuse knows what time it is

Device: Kindle 4 Non Touch & Kindle Keyboard
im kinda confused now. theres a jailbreak for kindle touch. but for non touch theres that ssh jailbreak no real files / anything like on kindle touch correct? i dont quite understand the ssh tutorial for the kindle 4 can someone clarify / make an noob tutorial for kindle nt? (like step by step with winscp etc...
Ceuse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2011, 10:06 AM   #270
Novo
Enthusiast
Novo began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle PW4
Hello,
thanks to yifanlu and all the others for the Jailbreak!

For now, i have some questions:

Quote:
Originally Posted by yifanlu View Post
-To enable accelerator (no point except allow the Kindle to see rotate event, it does nothing with those events though), edit "/etc/upstart/makexconfig" and on line 120, edit "IS_ACCEL=0" to "IS_ACCEL=1"
accelerator? Does the K4T have one in Hardware?
Would it be possible to re-add the landscape mode button like on the K4NT ?

How to get SSH?
I have tried "Simple usbnet update 1.1" of of yifanlu, but i can not connect.
I only want access over WiFi.
Why does the ssh server autostart on boot? If we forget do disable it, it will drain battery fast.

I have an ad-supported Kindle 4 Touch, how can I disable the ads and screensavers? Screensaver mod is only for non-ad-supported device.

Thanks,
Takeo
Novo is offline   Reply With Quote