Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 11-16-2010, 12:11 PM   #16
manalesar
manalesar began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle DX 2 Graphite
Quote:
Originally Posted by pboss View Post
I'm sure they are well aware of these concerns.
If they had been well aware of these concerns we would have already seen an update. A group is good idea, a bit more pressure would help them not to forget about us, DXG users.
manalesar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2010, 06:14 PM   #17
polbit
Connoisseur
polbit is faster than slow light.polbit is faster than slow light.polbit is faster than slow light.polbit is faster than slow light.polbit is faster than slow light.polbit is faster than slow light.polbit is faster than slow light.polbit is faster than slow light.polbit is faster than slow light.polbit is faster than slow light.polbit is faster than slow light.

Device: Kindle 4, Kindle HDX 8.9, Yoga 2 Pro
I finally convinced my wife to get the Kindle, and now that we have it at home and I had a chance to play with it, I must say I'm a little peeved at Amazon. How can a $140 6" device have better PDF handling than a $380 10" device?

Amazon isn't a mom-and-pop shop, and ebooks are their business. I'm sure they have enough money to work on both Kindle and Kindle DX firmware. To ignore DX for this long just because it doesn't sell in volume that 6" Kindle does is not an excuse. It's almost 3x the price.

I fully support creating a group, to put a little more pressure on Amazon...
polbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2010, 09:26 PM   #18
guiyoforward
Zealot
guiyoforward is a jewel in the roughguiyoforward is a jewel in the roughguiyoforward is a jewel in the roughguiyoforward is a jewel in the roughguiyoforward is a jewel in the roughguiyoforward is a jewel in the roughguiyoforward is a jewel in the roughguiyoforward is a jewel in the roughguiyoforward is a jewel in the roughguiyoforward is a jewel in the roughguiyoforward is a jewel in the rough

Device: Kindle DX Graphite
I sold my DXG a month ago - as a primarily pdf consumer I just can't believe thgey didn't update the thing...
guiyoforward is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2010, 02:35 AM   #19
vyiciu
vyiciu began at the beginning.

Device: Amazon Kindle DX Graphite
My professor and I each bought a Kindle DXG several months ago in anticipation of the software update that has yet to materialize. Since we both have a ton of academic books scanned to PDF, and which are not available yet in the Taiwan Kindle store, the DXG was sort of a no brainer simply because of its larger screen. At that time I thought it would make no sense that a cheaper model would have better pdf support than the flagship model, and it wouldn't be that much of a wait before the 3.0 firmware came out for the DXG, but 4 months later we're both still waiting. I sorely need highlighting abilities, but the small screen on the Kindle 3 just won't do for so much pdf reading.

If anyone is going to start a petition to Amazon to update the firmware, I'll sign on right away!
vyiciu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2010, 10:49 PM   #20
bZkindle
Fanatic
bZkindle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bZkindle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bZkindle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bZkindle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bZkindle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bZkindle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bZkindle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bZkindle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bZkindle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bZkindle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bZkindle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: k2, k3G, kindle DXG, Sony T-1, iPad, iPhone, stone tablet
it seems many of us are at little miffed about this and rightly so.
what is amazon waiting for? really?
PETITION!
WHAT DO WE WANT?
FIRMWARE UPDATES!
WHEN DO WE WANT THEM?
SOON!

Last edited by bZkindle; 11-18-2010 at 11:00 PM.
bZkindle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2010, 04:07 PM   #21
martinhinsch
martinhinsch began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 3 DXG
I just sent an email to Amazon kindle support, asking whether an upgrade to the DX was in the cards. This is the reply I got:

Quote:
Hello,

I'm sorry for any inconvenience caused.

We have made no announcement about making notes and highlights on Kindle DX, so
+I can't answer your question.

If any new releases of software update it will be listed on help pages. Direct
+him towards the help pages.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/kindlesoftwareupdates

Customer feedback like yours helps us continue to improve the service we
+provide, and we are glad you took time to write to us. I have sent your
+comments to the business team.

Please feel free to forward further comments and suggestions about our website
+to us. Each suggestion will be read and taken into consideration.

Thanks for your interest in Kindle.
The only conclusion one can draw from this is that Amazon's support center does not make command of the English language a requirement for hiring...
martinhinsch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2010, 05:35 PM   #22
catsittingstill
Guru
catsittingstill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.catsittingstill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.catsittingstill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.catsittingstill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.catsittingstill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.catsittingstill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.catsittingstill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.catsittingstill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.catsittingstill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.catsittingstill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.catsittingstill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 1.0.8, iPod Touch, Kindle Keyboard
I too would like to see the DXG upgraded to handle pdfs at least as well as the K3, and preferably to allow cross-document search of pdfs as well.
catsittingstill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2010, 06:26 PM   #23
Jcas
Zealot
Jcas knows what is on the back of the AURYN.Jcas knows what is on the back of the AURYN.Jcas knows what is on the back of the AURYN.Jcas knows what is on the back of the AURYN.Jcas knows what is on the back of the AURYN.Jcas knows what is on the back of the AURYN.Jcas knows what is on the back of the AURYN.Jcas knows what is on the back of the AURYN.Jcas knows what is on the back of the AURYN.Jcas knows what is on the back of the AURYN.Jcas knows what is on the back of the AURYN.

Device: Kindle PW2,Kindle DXG,iPhone 4
Hmmm i just ordered a KDX , maybe if we each send a similar email to support it might help???

EDIT:

I just sent an email too, will post here if/when i get a response.

Last edited by Jcas; 11-22-2010 at 06:44 PM.
Jcas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2010, 11:49 AM   #24
manalesar
manalesar began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle DX 2 Graphite
Good job Jcas We need to keep putting pressure on amazon. I ask you all DXG users to send an EMAIL to the amazon at ALL these adresses:

kindledx-feedback@amazon.com
kindle-feedback@amazon.com
kindle-response@amazon.com

In case any of you has no idea what to write, I do also attach the message below, that I've just sent at all above addressess. You can reuse it.

Quote:
Hello,

I am an owner of the Kindle DX2 Graphite device and I'm very disappointed with the Kindle Software 2.5 installed on it. I (and most of the people) have bought a Kindle DX mainly in order to experience the better PDF support - which, in fact, is very poor. A Cheap Kindle 3 6'' devices have the new Software 3.0, which introduced many PDF improvements. I believe that those improvements are a MUST HAVE for the Kindle DX. Amazon is making a mockery of its clients not to introduce PDF Improvements for their most expensive, advartised as a great academic tool for PDFs and Large documents device. That makes me really sad. Is there gonna be the Software 3.0 or PDF Improvements introduced for the Kindle DX Graphite ? When ?

Regards
We deserve that update, and I think that we need to do all we can to make Amazon thinking about it, and us, seriously.

Last edited by manalesar; 11-26-2010 at 11:55 AM.
manalesar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2010, 02:17 PM   #25
max99
Addict
max99 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.max99 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.max99 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.max99 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.max99 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.max99 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.max99 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.max99 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.max99 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.max99 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.max99 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle DXG, PW
my guess is they'll update the pdf support on DXG with the promised book lending update. makes sense for them to do that instead of releasing two updates.
max99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2010, 09:10 AM   #26
tbeltrans
tbeltrans is on a distinguished road

Device: Kindle DXG and K3
Having both the Kindle 3 and DXG, one feature I would lik eto see on the DXG that the Kindle 3 has for reading PDFs is contrast. This works quite well for "lighter" documents and makes them readable. The contrast makes the "ink" lighter or darker, so until I have a PDF that contains scanned images, I can't say whether it would help with that.

I have not yet found a PDF that either Kindle couldn't render. My use of PDFs is largely sheet music, and the DXG is certainly better for that due to the size of its screen.

Tony
tbeltrans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2010, 04:34 PM   #27
Jcas
Zealot
Jcas knows what is on the back of the AURYN.Jcas knows what is on the back of the AURYN.Jcas knows what is on the back of the AURYN.Jcas knows what is on the back of the AURYN.Jcas knows what is on the back of the AURYN.Jcas knows what is on the back of the AURYN.Jcas knows what is on the back of the AURYN.Jcas knows what is on the back of the AURYN.Jcas knows what is on the back of the AURYN.Jcas knows what is on the back of the AURYN.Jcas knows what is on the back of the AURYN.

Device: Kindle PW2,Kindle DXG,iPhone 4
sounds like my email re the update was misunderstood. Here is the reply i received.

Hello,

The most recent version of Kindle software for Kindle (2nd Generation) and Kindle DX is 2.5. The most recent software for Kindle (Latest Generation) is 3.0.2.

The software update for Kindle (Latest Generation) includes general feature enhancements.

If your Kindle does not have the latest software, it's free and easy to download and install the update manually by following the instructions on the Kindle Software Updates Help page:

http://www.amazon.com/kindlesoftwareupdates

This page also includes information about the features included in the latest software update.

If any latest software update is done it would be informed on website.

I hope this information helps. Thanks for using Kindle.

Thank you for your recent inquiry. Did I solve your problem?
Jcas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2010, 06:11 PM   #28
martinhinsch
martinhinsch began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 3 DXG
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jcas View Post
sounds like my email re the update was misunderstood. Here is the reply i received.

[..snip...]
Yes, my reply was similarly generic. I even complained in the evaluation form, only to receive a second basically identical reply (this time preceded by an apology...).
martinhinsch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2010, 03:04 PM   #29
Sonist
Apeist
Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Generic virtual reality story-experiential device
Quote:
Originally Posted by martinhinsch View Post
Yes, my reply was similarly generic. I even complained in the evaluation form, only to receive a second basically identical reply (this time preceded by an apology...).
I think the email route is a loser. It seems to go into a black whirlpool somewhere at Amazon, never to be heard of again.

I called, threatened to return my 2 new KDXs and the rep at least promissed to ask their developer group about the update, and to get back to me. Never heard anything back, so I'll call again on Monday.

I'd suggest calling, rather than emailing.
Sonist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2010, 08:11 PM   #30
carterw
carterw began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle DX Graphite
I am going to return by 10th , Dec, if they still haven't got any tiny news about update.
carterw is offline   Reply With Quote