Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 08-09-2011, 07:17 PM   #1
khalleron
Kate
khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7 2013, Kobo Aura H2O, Kobo Forma
Why so many newbies with so much karma?

I got jumped on for bringing this up in another thread, but I've been noticing the past two or three months that a small but sizeable group of newbies, many sporting less than 100 (some less than 50) posts have karma over 100,000.

I'm also noticing that some of them have *exactly* 100,000 or 125,000 - something I've never seen in my two years of posting here.

Since some of these are obvious trolls (they do nothing but snipe at the regulars), I'm suspecting sock-puppeting, or worse.

Even some of the most helpful posters here don't have that amount of karma.

I'm mathematically inclined - I notice the rate that karma normally 'accretes' - there's something funny going on here.
khalleron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2011, 07:25 PM   #2
Penforhire
Wizard
Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage & iPhone 7+
As I understand it, the giver of such karma is what determines the maximum bump allowed. Perhaps they received karma from some elder members. Mine jumped considerably for that very reason.
Penforhire is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-09-2011, 07:32 PM   #3
khalleron
Kate
khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7 2013, Kobo Aura H2O, Kobo Forma
Quote:
Originally Posted by Penforhire View Post
As I understand it, the giver of such karma is what determines the maximum bump allowed. Perhaps they received karma from some elder members. Mine jumped considerably for that very reason.
Unless the elder members are giving karma only to newbies and withholding it from others, that won't fly.

The average rate of karma will increase as members 'age', but the distribution should remain pretty steady.

And I wouldn't have noticed it except that the posters were pretty obvious trolls with an inordinate amount of karma.

All those zeroes were another red flag.
khalleron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2011, 07:37 PM   #4
JD Gumby
Cynical Old Curmudgeon
JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Mini, Kobo Arc, HTC Desire C
Eh. What's it matter? It's not like it actually means anything useful, unless you're the desperate type who needs a giant e-peen of some sort.
JD Gumby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2011, 07:40 PM   #5
Rich_D
Fanatic
Rich_D ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rich_D ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rich_D ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rich_D ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rich_D ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rich_D ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rich_D ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rich_D ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rich_D ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rich_D ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rich_D ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Android phone, Kobo Glo HD, nook ST with Glo (backup)
Quote:
Originally Posted by JD Gumby View Post
Eh. What's it matter? It's not like it actually means anything useful, unless you're the desperate type who needs a giant e-peen of some sort.
I agree. The karma serves no purpose, so what difference does it make how much someone has?
Rich_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-09-2011, 07:52 PM   #6
carld
Wizard
carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
For one thing it's possible someone has found a way to game or hack the system. If so, it's a potentially serious security issue. Also, if true, it offends my sense of right and wrong.
carld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2011, 07:57 PM   #7
Freeshadow
temp. out of service
Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PB 623
the karma does serve a purpose here, but it's one, which people behaving the way Kate described simply don't grok. and this is exactly why she 'll get some from me now and they won't.
Freeshadow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2011, 07:58 PM   #8
wannabee
Media Bloke
wannabee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wannabee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wannabee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wannabee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wannabee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wannabee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wannabee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wannabee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wannabee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wannabee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wannabee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iOS
It's our LIKE button. If someone says something that helps you out, you think is useful, funny or witty you can let them know. The karma gets high in the lounge. Great jokes get great karma. Lighten up.
wannabee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2011, 07:59 PM   #9
Arrghus
Zealot
Arrghus , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Arrghus , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Arrghus , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Arrghus , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Arrghus , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Arrghus , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Arrghus , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Arrghus , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Arrghus , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Arrghus , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Arrghus , Klaatu Barada Niktu!

Device: Kindle PW2; Nexus 5X
I don't see the point in karma on this site whatsoever.

A 'thumbs up' button for a post might be a better alternative - kind of a way of saying thank you to those uploading eBooks or providing links to freebies, without littering a thread with similar short sentiments.

Besides, if one were really moved by a member's post they can communicate their appreciation either in the thread as an aside, or PM them.
Arrghus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2011, 08:03 PM   #10
1611mac
eWanderer
1611mac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.1611mac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.1611mac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.1611mac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.1611mac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.1611mac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.1611mac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.1611mac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.1611mac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.1611mac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.1611mac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iMac,iPad3,iPhone5-Kindle Fire,Touch,PaperWhite
Quote:
Originally Posted by wannabee View Post
It's our LIKE button. If someone says something that helps you out, you think is useful, funny or witty you can let them know. The karma gets high in the lounge. Great jokes get great karma. Lighten up.
hummm.. My wife constantly informs me that I'm a big JOKE but my karma with her has never gone up...
1611mac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2011, 08:05 PM   #11
wannabee
Media Bloke
wannabee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wannabee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wannabee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wannabee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wannabee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wannabee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wannabee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wannabee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wannabee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wannabee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wannabee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arrghus View Post
Besides, if one were really moved by a member's post they can communicate their appreciation either in the thread as an aside, or PM them.
or do both
Old 08-09-2011, 08:07 PM   #12
gastan
Addict
gastan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gastan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gastan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gastan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gastan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gastan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gastan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gastan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gastan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gastan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gastan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: LePan II, Kobo Aura
I usually just peruse the site and don't log in unless I want to post. I was surprised a few weeks ago when I logged in to notice that I had way more karma than I remembered. (and it is a large even number, too) I don't know how or when I accumulated it. When I checked the user panel to see who/why I got so much karma I found nothing. I have received karma from only one person in the last 6 months and I doubt that they gave me 20,000+ points.

So the OP isn't the only one to notice posts from people with only a few posts but a lot of karma. And I also think it disturbing to think that someone has somehow hacked the forum.
gastan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2011, 08:08 PM   #13
wannabee
Media Bloke

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1611mac View Post
hummm.. My wife constantly informs me that I'm a big JOKE but my karma with her has never gone up...
That's what it's all about guys! (and Gals)
Old 08-09-2011, 08:08 PM   #14
Freeshadow
temp. out of service
Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PB 623
nah thanks - if I'd want a thumb (or something similar) up I'll go and see a proctologist

from my dear MR pals I prefer numeric Karma hugs.
It's like the pagecount of a damn good book - the more the better.
Freeshadow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2011, 08:43 PM   #15
wannabee
Media Bloke

Have you had your K today?