Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > PocketBook

Notices

Old 01-19-2011, 04:49 AM   #1
teofrast
Enthusiast
teofrast once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.teofrast once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.teofrast once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.teofrast once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.teofrast once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.teofrast once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.teofrast once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.teofrast once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.teofrast once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.teofrast once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.teofrast once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Device: pocketbook902
latin dictionary on pb902

hallo,
is there a way to have a working latin-english or italian or french on pb902?
(ancient greek, sanskrit and hebrew would be nice too)
thanks
t
teofrast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2011, 11:14 AM   #2
ordie
ordie began at the beginning.

Device: PocketBook 903
I have a feeling we'll be reading the same texts!
ordie is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-19-2011, 12:10 PM   #3
teofrast
Enthusiast
teofrast once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.teofrast once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.teofrast once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.teofrast once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.teofrast once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.teofrast once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.teofrast once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.teofrast once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.teofrast once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.teofrast once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.teofrast once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

hallo ordie,
Quote:
it could be (lege lege lege relege)

any hint for the dictionaries?
Old 01-26-2011, 09:32 AM   #4
teofrast
Enthusiast

hallo,
I managed to find a latin dictionary here:
http://www.winedt.org/Dict/
it is a file in .dic format so it should be already readable by pocketbook (mine is 902 fw 2.04).
but sadly despite putting it in system/dictionaries, it does not appear in the list of available dictionaries. to be fair I'm not even shure if it is a proper dictionary or just a word list..
as you may argue, I'm not much of a tech-head, so any help would be very appreciated.
thanks
t

edit: it's just a wordlist for spellcheckers
should have red the readme file first
back to searching..

Last edited by teofrast; 01-26-2011 at 09:37 AM.
Old 01-26-2011, 12:32 PM   #5
paola
Wizard
paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Pro 903, (beloved Pocketbook 360 RIP), Kobo Mini, Kobo Aura
Quote:
Originally Posted by teofrast View Post
back to searching..
A Latin Dictionary by Charlton T. Lewis & Charles Short, 1879 is a public domain one, but I could only find either a pdf or the online version, which is better than nothing, but not ideal...
paola is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-26-2011, 12:54 PM   #6
teofrast
Enthusiast

thanks paola,
I'm aware of online dictionaries, and I have some pdf too, but I was trying to have one working with pb's engine, as scrolling through a pdf that big is quite a pain.
now, I've found here
http://yeelou.com/huzheng/stardict-dic/
two dictionaries:
one in stardict format (a folder with 3 files: one .dict.dz, one .ifo, and one .idx)
and another in .xdxf format.
I tried to convert them with the converter app from pocketbook site, but at no avail.
I put the files in the same folder, start converter.exe, launch the command line (command.exe filename foldername), and nothing happens. the app just close and destination folder is empty.
am I doing something wrong?
Old 01-26-2011, 05:59 PM   #7
paola
Wizard
paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
thanks paola,
I'm aware of online dictionaries, and I have some pdf too, but I was trying to have one working with pb's engine, as scrolling through a pdf that big is quite a pain.
now, I've found here
http://yeelou.com/huzheng/stardict-dic/
two dictionaries:
one in stardict format (a folder with 3 files: one .dict.dz, one .ifo, and one .idx)
and another in .xdxf format.
I tried to convert them with the converter app from pocketbook site, but at no avail.
I put the files in the same folder, start converter.exe, launch the command line (command.exe filename foldername), and nothing happens. the app just close and destination folder is empty.
am I doing something wrong?
I'd love to give it a go, but I am afraid I could find instructions for the dictionary converter only in German and Russian, and I understand neither of these languages. Google translate produces a jumble, so if there is any instruction in English, that would be great!
Old 01-26-2011, 06:06 PM   #8
teofrast
Enthusiast

after some research I understood how it works.
if someone's interested I uploaded the .dic file.
morphems won't work, as I used the english rules' folder, but at least one can search by typing words.
cheers
t
Attached Files
File Type: zip latin.zip (88.6 KB, 361 views)
Old 01-26-2011, 07:15 PM   #9
rkomar
Wizard
rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-505, PB 902, PRS-T1, PB 623, PB 840, PB 633
Quote:
after some research I understood how it works.
if someone's interested I uploaded the .dic file.
morphems won't work, as I used the english rules' folder, but at least one can search by typing words.
cheers
t
Nice, thanks! Karma to you.
rkomar is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2011, 11:19 AM   #10
paola
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by rkomar View Post
Nice, thanks! Karma to you.
Old 01-27-2011, 12:02 PM   #11
teofrast
Enthusiast

no, please stop sending me karma!! I seek liberation!
(just a buddhist joke, of course)
it's a pleasure.
t
p.s. by the way, here's how conversion works:
put in the same directory converter.exe, the file to convert and the folder containing rules. left click the file, ctrl left click the folder (so you can select them both) and drag them on the converter icon. et voilà, you have the .dic file

Last edited by teofrast; 01-27-2011 at 12:08 PM.
Old 01-27-2011, 12:11 PM   #12
Latinandgreek
Warrior Princess
Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-505; PRS-350, PRS-T1, iPad, Aura HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by ordie View Post
Count me in, too!
Latinandgreek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2011, 09:38 AM   #13
teofrast
Enthusiast

hi,
i was trying to convert the latin dictionary you can find here:
http://users.erols.com/whitaker/words.htm
(many more words than in the other I converted).
there is an HTML page with all definitions here:
http://users.erols.com/whitaker/dictpage.htm
I tried using it with converter.exe at no avail
Am I doing something wrong or simply html is not a valid format for this application?
(it would be very nice to know which formats are supported by the converter..)

thanks
t
Old 02-27-2011, 07:44 AM   #14
Hal_9k
Hal_9k will become famous soon enoughHal_9k will become famous soon enoughHal_9k will become famous soon enoughHal_9k will become famous soon enoughHal_9k will become famous soon enoughHal_9k will become famous soon enough

Device: Kindle 3
You may want to have a look at my Whitaker's Words dictionary for the Kindle. Perhaps you can modify the simple python script to create a format that also works on your device.
Hal_9k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2011, 12:27 PM   #15
teofrast
Enthusiast

thank you so much for this, hal.

now, if only I could understand python and know what to modify to make it digestable by pb converter..

(any poweruser out there wishing to help?)

cheers
t