Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Barnes & Noble NOOK > Nook Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 07-31-2010, 09:26 AM   #1
6502programmer
6502programmer began at the beginning.

Device: nook
Softroot 2.4.1 and Calibre 0.7.12 Memory Issue

I'm having a problem with Calibre managing books on my nook that first appeared when I moved to Softroot 2.4.1 a few days ago. I have an SD card in my nook which had previously been referred to as "Storage Card A" within Calibre. Now, anything I send to the nook, whether to main or the card, ends up written to the card. I know the Vendor_ID changed with 2.4.1, so I downloaded driver.py, edited the Vendor_ID, and 0.7.10 worked okay, albeit with this memory issue.

Now, with 0.7.12 and 2.4.1, I'm still seeing the memory problem. I can't write to internal memory because Calibre doesn't seem to be able to see it. Anyone have any ideas?
6502programmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2010, 09:44 AM   #2
WJMuldowney
Connoisseur
WJMuldowney began at the beginning.

Device: Nook
I have a similar issue in that, since the 0.7.12 update, Calibre has reversed my memory card and main memory. In other words, my 4Gb external card appears as the main memory and the internal 2Gb card shows as the Card A. I removed the memory card and added books to my Main Memory (which was fine with no SD card present). they added correctly to the My Documents folder. When I added my SD card back and restarted Calibre, the files I put on main memory now show as being in Card A. The bad thing is that when it thinks my main memory is th external card, any new books I put in there do not go into My Documents but just to the root drive of the nook. MY nook is showing as drive F: and my external card is showing as drive G: both in my PC and in Calibre. So that is correct but Calibre insists on recognizing the G: drive as the main drive.

I noticed that my PC also notices the external card before recognizing the nook, and I suppose that's why this is happening. I read of a similar instance but it was fixed with an earlier version of Calibre. Somehow it's crept back...at least for some.

I'm sure this will get fixed by the next release as the developer is great about taking care of and fixing anything like this...I just wish it was sooner as I miss my Calibre and I only added a few books to get me started. A week will seem like an eternity.
WJMuldowney is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-31-2010, 11:42 AM   #3
scoopaz
Nosy Parker
scoopaz began at the beginning.

Device: EZ Reader Pro, Nook Classic, Touch, Color, PRS-650, Asus Transformer
Lightbulb Drive letter Fix - Windows and Calibre

Hiya,

It looks like everyone who has softrooted to the latest version has this issue. It has to do with the disk drive assignment in the firmware of the softroot. They have assigned the internal drive as drive 0, external as drive 1. Windows will assign the drives in order, making the internal the main drive and confusing Calibre.

You can force Windows to assign the drives in the correct order using Disk Management. Make sure you plug in your Nook and can see both drives before starting this.

Go to Control Panel - > Administrative Tools -> Computer Management. Using the side tree select Disk Management (its under Storage, if your tree is collapsed)

There will be a text listing of your connected drives at the top, with a graphical listing of each drive below. Right click on the nook (internal) drive and select Change Drive letters and paths - then click on the change button again to get to the drive letter selection box.

Pick an open drive letter that has at least one free drive letter higher ex: Pick drive I: if you have Drive H: available to you. Save and do the same thing with your internal drive, making sure you assign it to a drive letter one higher than your nook internal drive.

Once you do this, Windows will remember the drive letter assignments, and will not switch them even after disconnecting and reconnecting your Nook. Calibre will see and read the your Nook correctly after the switch.

caveat: I am on Windows XP, SP3. Hopefully this holds true for Vista and Win7, but your mileage may vary.

Scoopa
scoopaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2010, 11:20 PM   #4
ballast
Enthusiast
ballast is on a distinguished road

I tried it on Windows 7, renaming to drive M & N - It looked like it had failed, but it takes 30-45 seconds to read the contents of the external card. So, I can confirm this fix works on Windows 7 (64bit)
ballast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2010, 11:28 PM   #5
6502programmer
6502programmer began at the beginning.

Device: nook
I can confirm that it worked on XP SP3. My internal was G:, my SD card was H:. I changed my internal to I: in Drive Manager, and it worked like a charm.
6502programmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-01-2010, 10:58 AM   #6
WJMuldowney
Connoisseur

Quote:
Originally Posted by 6502programmer View Post
I can confirm that it worked on XP SP3. My internal was G:, my SD card was H:. I changed my internal to I: in Drive Manager, and it worked like a charm.
I thought the instructions were to make sure the external drive was one higher than the nook's internal drive.

I tried it both ways (external one lower than nook and external one higher than nook) and neither way worked for me on Windows Vista.

Any other ideas or did I not do it correctly?
Old 08-02-2010, 10:40 AM   #7
WJMuldowney
Connoisseur

I have, sadly, removed my external SD card as the solution provided didn't work for me.

I'll keep tabs on this and perhaps re-insert my SD card whenever a viable solution is found that works on Vista.
Old 08-02-2010, 11:02 AM   #8
sarahsbloke
Connoisseur
sarahsbloke began at the beginning.

Device: Original Nook, Kindle Keyboard
Just use Calibre v7.10
sarahsbloke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2010, 11:10 AM   #9
WJMuldowney
Connoisseur

Quote:
Originally Posted by sarahsbloke View Post
Just use Calibre v7.10
My understanding is that Calibre 0.7.10 won't find my soft rooted nook. I had it previously and it didn't locate it which is why I updated to 0.7.12.

What am I missing?
Old 08-02-2010, 10:09 PM   #10
sarahsbloke
Connoisseur

Use calabre2opds to transfer your library to the Nook

or put this file in the directory
C:\Program Files\Calibre2\Lib\site-packages\calibre\devices\nook

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/4544136/driver.py

To correct the Nook detection problem of Calibre 7.10
Reboot computer after putting file in folder.

Last edited by sarahsbloke; 08-02-2010 at 10:17 PM.
Old 08-04-2010, 09:44 AM   #11
WJMuldowney
Connoisseur

Sarah,

Thanks for the help - I notice you have a lot of good suggestions and are willing to share them.

I *think* that, based upon what Calibre's developer has said, that a softrooted nook with the latest version is assigning the drives incorrectly and that Calibre is going to confuse them as a result. So, I think that even if I had version 7.10 I would have the same issue with the softrooted nook.
Old 08-04-2010, 10:03 AM   #12
sarahsbloke
Connoisseur

I'm using 2.4.1 softroot + Calibre 7.10 and all works perfectly with the driver file I suggested.

But I don't use Calibre to transfer files 1 or 2 at a time
I use Calibre2opds v2.2 and copy the entire library in 1 go for each update of the Nook.
Old 08-04-2010, 12:42 PM   #13
WJMuldowney
Connoisseur

I'll try this tonight and see if it works - thanks again!
Old 08-05-2010, 02:16 PM   #14
WJMuldowney
Connoisseur

version 0.7.10 works when I add that driver, but it still reverses my main memory and sd card - so it's really not a solution that works for me.