Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations

Notices

Old 03-12-2011, 10:42 AM   #1
caheaton
Enthusiast
caheaton can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentametercaheaton can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentametercaheaton can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentametercaheaton can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentametercaheaton can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentametercaheaton can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentametercaheaton can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentametercaheaton can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentametercaheaton can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentametercaheaton can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentametercaheaton can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameter

Device: Kobo & Kindle apps (PC, Android), Aura HD, Kindle Touch
Question What books were they?

Hello, as a child I remember reading a couple of books that have stuck with me through the years, but alas I can't remember their names. It seems to me that they were both short stories (but not necessarily part of the same anthology).

The first one centered around an underground prison that was a large wheel, and the prisoners had to pull on chains to keep the wheel moving so that they could hope to one day emerge. One of the prisoners begins to communicate with those in adjacent cells via a small gap in the stone where it meets the wall.

The other story was about either a an alien or a deformed creature (part human perhaps?) that was kept chained away. He would lay on the floor, drooling a green liquid and listen to the people (above?) him and brood upon his condition (the author might have been Lovecraft, as the writing had his atmosphere).

I would love to re-read those stories if I could ever find them...(lesson here...never discard a book!)
Craig
caheaton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2011, 02:41 PM   #2
askyn
Addict
askyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.askyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.askyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.askyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.askyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.askyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.askyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.askyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.askyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.askyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.askyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite (11th Gen)
first one sounds like one of the Edgar Rice Burroughs books revolving around John Carter of Mars series.

There is one were his princess gets stuck in a circular dungeon, this dungeon rotates in a manner such each "cell" can only be entered / exited once a year.
askyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-18-2011, 11:11 AM   #3
caheaton
Enthusiast
caheaton can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentametercaheaton can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentametercaheaton can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentametercaheaton can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentametercaheaton can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentametercaheaton can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentametercaheaton can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentametercaheaton can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentametercaheaton can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentametercaheaton can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentametercaheaton can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameter

Sadly, that wasn't it (I found a pdf of it online and skimmed the book). It was a short story and the prisoners were men. The story centered around his time in prison and was told from one of the prisoner's point of view. Thanks for the book reference though. It looks like an interesting series.
Craig
Old 03-18-2011, 11:43 AM   #4
BenG
Home Guard
BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3G, iPhone 6
The second story sounds like Richard Matheson's Born of Man and Woman.

Google Books has excerpts from The Dark Descent edited by David Hartwell. The excerpt includes the full text of this story.

http://books.google.com/books?id=pNg...theson&f=false
BenG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2011, 01:21 PM   #5
Rich_D
Fanatic
Rich_D ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rich_D ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rich_D ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rich_D ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rich_D ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rich_D ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rich_D ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rich_D ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rich_D ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rich_D ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rich_D ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Android phone, Kobo Glo HD, nook ST with Glo (backup)
If I can jump on this thread, I've been looking for a title too.

I read the book in the early 1980's, and I believe it was published around that same time. The main character was either a red-haired samurai or a red-haired ninja. It was set in feudal Japan. The main character was tasked to guard a woman (princess?) on a journey across country to the man she would marry. They had an affair enroute - the woman gave birth to a red-haired baby and her husband threw the baby off a cliff and the main character then went for revenge.
Rich_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-18-2011, 01:56 PM   #6
caheaton
Enthusiast

WE HAVE A WINNER!

Thank you Ben. The second story (which I was skeptical of rediscovering given my sketchy memory of the details) is indeed Matheson's "Born of Man and Woman". It's been 35 years or so since I've read that story. It's good to have found it again. I'm definitely going to order the anthology that contains it.

Now if only I could find that first book...if it helps anyone, it was 35 to 40 years ago that I read it.

Craig
Old 03-18-2011, 06:02 PM   #7
James_Wilde
Guru
James_Wilde ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.James_Wilde ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.James_Wilde ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.James_Wilde ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.James_Wilde ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.James_Wilde ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.James_Wilde ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.James_Wilde ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.James_Wilde ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.James_Wilde ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.James_Wilde ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Iriver Story
I had a similar problem once and was given a site to visit. In my case it was a sf book, but I don't remember whether the site was sf only. I did a quick google on the idea, and came up with this site, which you might like to try:

http://www.whatsthatbook.com/
James_Wilde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2011, 06:05 PM   #8
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
Or you might try the stickied "Name that Book" thread in the Reading Recommendations subforum right here.
DiapDealer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2013, 03:10 PM   #9
KLEH
KLEH began at the beginning.

Device: None
I imagine you found your answer, Craig, but just in case: That first story made an impression on me, too! I read it a million years ago in a collection called Nine Strange Stories. This particular selection is called "Manuscript Found in a Police State," and it was written by Brian W. Aldiss.

Lots of other great work in Nine Strange Stories, but that one by Aldiss definitely stood out!
KLEH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2013, 10:53 AM   #10
caheaton
Enthusiast

thank you!

THANK YOU!!

I never did find that book, but I believe you hit the nail on the head. As soon as I saw the cover (on amazon) of that book, "Nine Strange Tails" I remembered it. Year of publication is about right too....I would have purchased it through one of the Scholastic book sales they did in school (remember those?). The titles brought back other memories..."The Rocking Horse Winner" was another great one.

I wish they offered a kindle version of that book....

Craig