Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Barnes & Noble NOOK > Nook Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 09-01-2011, 04:57 AM   #1
100n3y
100n3y began at the beginning.

Device: Nook Classic
Am I stuck at 1.4 or can I upgrade somehow?

K. I'm rooted. Got me Pandora, Task Manager, VNC Server....goodies. Think I'm getting the hang of it. Am I stuck at 1.4 or is there a way to stay rooted and get the benefits of the newest firmware (1.4 or <)?
100n3y is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2011, 03:52 AM   #2
firefox
MR Gen Z Representative
firefox will become famous soon enoughfirefox will become famous soon enoughfirefox will become famous soon enoughfirefox will become famous soon enoughfirefox will become famous soon enoughfirefox will become famous soon enough

Device: Barnes & Noble NOOKclassic
Why are you running 1.4 when you can use the 2.5.1 softroot package??
It would seem that you have it right, yes, however I've heard of cases where it somehow dual boots the softroot AND the official BN software, which is what I gathered from what I've read.
Also, I and others can testify that updating to 1.7 OTA after the 2.5.1 softroot keeps the root intact, for no reason that I seem to have come up with.
firefox is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-02-2011, 05:07 AM   #3
100n3y

Wow Fox. That's a lot to digest (that's what she said.) So let me say "wtf?!" I don't even know of a 2.5.1 softroot. I don't have an sd reader if that takes an SD card so that's out of the question. I was only able to router root. I started at 1.4 and, because instructions are suuuuuuuuuuuuper limited on Nook Classic on the net, that's where I seem to be stuck.
Old 09-08-2011, 09:12 AM   #4
firefox
MR Gen Z Representative
firefox will become famous soon enoughfirefox will become famous soon enoughfirefox will become famous soon enoughfirefox will become famous soon enoughfirefox will become famous soon enoughfirefox will become famous soon enough

Device: Barnes & Noble NOOKclassic
Sorry 100n3y, I rushed and ruined that whole reply, so it didn't really make sense.

Anyway, I thought you were doing a softroot from the SD card, which is what I've usually done. Whether it will work for you? I have as little idea as you do, but if your serial number begins with 1300, then it's not likely, if at all to work. It'll probably brick your nook, which you most probably don't want.

The 2.5.1 softroot package is basically the 1.5.0 Barnes & Noble software for the NOOK, but slightly modified to run as root and stuff like that. Don't know why it's called 2.5.1 either

What I've done, and I think others may have, I cannot confirm for any of them, but they might pitch in, is to softroot the nook, then just update it over-the-air (OTA), which seems to work...no guarantees there though, I've only tried it once.
So now I'm running firmware 1.7 with all the benefits of the softroot package. From what I gathered on the nookdevs site, there really isn't much documentation on that unfortunately. You could always try the IRC chatroom for Nookdevs, or post on their 'forum'.
Sorry I can't be of more help
firefox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2011, 03:15 PM   #5
100n3y

Word. Thanks for expounding on that. I've tackled my hurdle of rooting the beast and it has the most goodies it can have on it so I'm content with where I sit. No need to further beat a rooted horse. This is pretty much all it can do so Imma let it be. Thanks again for clarifying though! Everything makes sense...just seems like more trouble than it's worth ya know? It's just a dinky free classic.
Advert