Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Barnes & Noble NOOK > Nook Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 12-25-2010, 12:57 PM   #1
2twisty
2twisty began at the beginning.

Device: Nook 1005xx
Rooting 1005XX Nook

I just boought my Nook on 12/21/2010, and I have been considering rooting it.

However, all the instructions I can find involve starting with a device on Nook 1.4 Firmware and with Serials starting 1004XX or lower.

Since I can't put Nook 1.4 on a 1005XX device, has there been any success in rooting a 1005XX device?

Please advise.
2twisty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2010, 02:53 PM   #2
chas0039
Sceptic
chas0039 is slicker than a case of WD-40chas0039 is slicker than a case of WD-40chas0039 is slicker than a case of WD-40chas0039 is slicker than a case of WD-40chas0039 is slicker than a case of WD-40chas0039 is slicker than a case of WD-40chas0039 is slicker than a case of WD-40chas0039 is slicker than a case of WD-40chas0039 is slicker than a case of WD-40chas0039 is slicker than a case of WD-40chas0039 is slicker than a case of WD-40

Device: rooted Nooks, retired. JetBook Lite, Kindle 3, 4, Kobo Nia, Libra H2O.
If you look at these posts, you should find out what you want. Also, make sure you follow the nookdev instructions for post 1003... serial numbers and read the posts all the way through.

Unfortunately, Nookdev seem to have abandoned the old style nook after 1.4 firmware. Fortunately, the guys here are up to date.
chas0039 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-25-2010, 10:29 PM   #3
2twisty

OK, so I sucessfully rooted it.. I got control and uploaded a few apps..

However -- it would not read my BN samples, I could not use the "shop" functions, the stock audio player was missing, and more.

I wound up doing a full factory restore to get a usable device back. I really liked the FileBrowser, since I could use it to organize my books properly, but I had trouble viewing any content.

I figure I must've done something wrong.

After I root it, what apps should I install?

Gonna try it again -- to see if I can get a better result.
Old 12-25-2010, 11:24 PM   #4
2twisty

Ah. Got it. Must've been that MyNook.ru package I installed first. it seems to be working properly now.
Old 12-27-2010, 03:44 AM   #5
JJzReader
JJzReader began at the beginning.

Device: nook
Still trying to figure this out. There is something I am doing wrong but dont know what yet. I will give it another go tomorrow.
JJzReader is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-27-2010, 01:51 PM   #6
slinkey1981
slinkey1981 began at the beginning.

Device: Nook
Hey guys, I have a nook with 1.4.3 and a serial starting with 10048. Everything I can find says it works with up to 1003, and to be honest, I am a bit confused as to what steps to take to perform a softroot on it, is this even possible?

I've modded/installed firmware on other devices before, but never on an ereader or a nook.

Can someone point me in a more clear direction than tutorials that say "Don't do this if your serial is above 1003!", cause having that as a first step/warning is unnerving when I certainly do have a serial above 1003.
slinkey1981 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2010, 02:20 PM   #7
tweaker
tweaker doesn't littertweaker doesn't litter

take of back.
take out screws.
carefully open the nook.
look for microSD card on circuit board.
if you have it, then use softroot method on nookdevs
if you dont have it, use the router method
tweaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2011, 08:17 AM   #8
dragonias
me
dragonias began at the beginning.

Device: B&N nook
...how exactly?

Hi all, maybe I'm just a real idiot, but I have been unable to figure out the exact procedure to root the nook with a 1005* serial (with 1.5 as stock firmware).

As I cannot downgrade to 1.0.0 because of the B&N hardware revision, and the 1.5 is supposed to have fixed the wifi_stop.sh 777 permissions (that were used to root new hardware with 1.4 as stock firmware), I don't see how to root it, although this thread seems to indicate that it can be done I have read probably all nookdevs.com stuff related to rooting, as well as the posts on the 1.5 update referenced above, but it was no good. Could someone please point me the right way towards having a neat Python interpreter on my nook?

Thanks so much, any help will be appreciated!
dragonias is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2011, 01:47 PM   #9
chas0039
Sceptic
chas0039 is slicker than a case of WD-40chas0039 is slicker than a case of WD-40chas0039 is slicker than a case of WD-40chas0039 is slicker than a case of WD-40chas0039 is slicker than a case of WD-40chas0039 is slicker than a case of WD-40chas0039 is slicker than a case of WD-40chas0039 is slicker than a case of WD-40chas0039 is slicker than a case of WD-40chas0039 is slicker than a case of WD-40chas0039 is slicker than a case of WD-40

If you go here, and carefully follow the links referring to the different versions of Serial numbers and starting firmware, it might help.
Old 02-07-2011, 08:06 PM   #10
sjkevin
Connoisseur
sjkevin is on a distinguished road

dragonias, maybe you have 1.4.1 on your recovery partition.

If so, you're in luck. You can force your nook to install the recovery image by making it think it's unable to boot, by following the "Downgrade from 1.5 to stock firmware" instructions here:

http://nookdevs.com/User_talk:Naerymdan
sjkevin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2011, 11:18 PM   #11
jhitesma
jhitesma began at the beginning.

Device: Nook Classic & Nook Color
I just rooted my 1003* that came with 1.5 pre-installed today and was able to do it without downgrading.

The nookdevs site is really a mess. So much stuff on there is only half explained, or spread across multiple pages, or hidden in discussion pages behind the main pages. Heck just finding a bit of info I know exists is a pain. But after a few days of researching I figured I had enough figured out to give it a try.

I followed the instructions at the very bottom of this page:
http://nookdevs.com/Talk:Rooting_New...ng_vanilla_1.5

Basically it's the "router method" of the "new hardware" root only somewhat simplified...but it's not really fully explained anywhere. I'll do my best to explain it here to hopefully save someone else going through the headaches I've gone through the past few days.

The one twist is that Nomad has setup his server to feed the files for the router method - and updated his files to take advantage of weakness in 1.5 that he doesn't fully explain. I'm still not 100% clear on how it works but basically like the standard "new hardware" root it uses the flaw in the update to write a new file to the nook. This time it's an apk which (for a reason I've yet to figure out) gets run when you try to go back to the nook home and lets you start adb.

So you need to setup a way to redirect the DNS to his server at 217.20.163.111. I did this using the dnsmasq settings in my router which was running DD-wrt. If you can't do that through your router then one of the "no router" methods can be made to work. Just instead of redirecting sync.barnesandnoble.com and edmfiletransfer.barnesandnoble.com to your own server you redirect them to 217.20.163.111

I put some details about how I set this up in DD-WRT on my own Talk page here: http://nookdevs.com/User_talk:Juggle

Once you have your network configured so the B&N sites resolve to 217.20.163.111 all you have to do is run the "Check for new content" deal on the B&N library page. (So you'll have to be registered first to get there.) It should finish fairly quickly with a small error in the lower right hand corner that's safe to ignore (in fact, that error is a good thing since it's a sign that the bug in question has been exploited.)

The final step is just to return to the nook home at which point the OS will ask if you want to run the normal app or the new apk that Nomad's scripts tricked the nook into loading. You run his root app and tell it to root. You may have to run it more than once (I didn't have to) but it should get adb started.

Now - this is where the documentation got really sketchy. I've got adb but now what? I could load trook...but how the heck to I start it?

So I resorted to installing one of the "Packages" Nomad came up with here: http://nookdevs.com/Applying_With_De...ation_packages

I tried the first one "mynook_package.zip" and installed it manually by bringing up an adb shell and executing /system/media/sdcard/root.sh (after taking a look at what exactly root.sh tried to do and what was in the tar file it extracted. It looked like a full set of apps so I gave it a go.)

The result was a nook that was very unstable. Any book I opened in any format would close after a few seconds returning me to the mynook.ru launcher. I wasn't able to find half the apps I knew were installed or figure out how to customize the menus...and rebooting my nook caused it to loose it's registration. At one point the nook also got locked into a loop where it just kept restarting the launcher. I was not impressed. Which is why I found out that my 1.5 from the factory nook did have 1.4.1 on the recovery partition - since I couldn't actually read anything with it I had no choice but to try and factory restore.

The factory restore itself wasn't very well explained and my first two attempts didn't work (leaving me to sit through the annoying long nook boot procedure before trying again.) Really it's simpler than the instructions on the "Firmware 1.5" page (http://nookdevs.com/User_talk:Naerymdan) make it sound. Instead I followed instructions I found on some other page that basically said just shut down the nook, turn it on, when the screen goes black hold the button for 12 seconds, then let it go for 1 second and repeat the 12/1 a total of 6 times. You don't have to wait for the screen to change color each time - just hold for 12 release for 1 hold for 12 release for 1 after that initial black flash.

Since I had reset my router after doing this my nook factory updated back to 1.5 immediately...and I did the root again but this time installed the other nomad_package.zip from Nomad which appeared to include a much more basic set of tools and a modified B&N launcher that puts apps under what was "Games" instead of the mynook.ru launcher.

Which is where I am now.

And where I'm not sure I'm entirely happy. I really like trook and a few of the other apps and don't want to give them up. But I'm worried about battery life. The wifi_locker app freezes on me when trying to stop adb and I've noticed that adb is always available without me specifically enabling it even though it appears to be listed as disabled in /init.rc (though the disabled line is commented out and it says disabled while some pages say it should be disable) ... but I don't have an original init.rc to compare to and the Nomad package installs it's own init.rc so I'm not sure what was changed without doing another factory reset to compare the original file with the modified version.

I also noticed that at one point this evening my nook never went to sleep despite me not doing anything that should have prevented it from going to sleep.

And it's still loosing my registration when I do a full reboot on the nook. (which will be very annoying if the battery is drained nightly because of adb running over wifi non-stop.)

So when I have time I'm hoping to factory restore again, then just do the root and manually install as few packages as necessary. Just not sure of the best way to go about that yet - it looks like installing the custom launcher and market is the best first step...though I do like Nomads approach of the modified stock launcher...just not sure about some of the other stuff in his packages at this point.

I'd try updating some of the stuff on the nookdevs wiki myself after learning all of this...but I really hate editing wikis. So I figured sharing it here was the next best thing as this was the site where I found the most helpful info so far.
jhitesma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2011, 02:59 PM   #12
chas0039
Sceptic

I am amazed, and grateful, that this site has become the source for correcting and explaining all the errors and omissions over at nookdev. I still cannot find most of the info that is at their site unless I get linked here.

Rooting would truely be a mess if you guys weren't so resourceful.
Old 02-09-2011, 06:21 PM   #13
jhitesma

So I was able to read for a few hours last night and let my nook sit in standby overnight. This morning it was down to 44% battery. My wife's unrooted nook does much better than that so I figured adb not stopping probably has something to do with my not so great battery life.

Instead of restoring my nook to factory again to see what the init.rc looked like I grabbed the official 1.5 B&N update, extracted it and took a look at the stock init.rc. Sure enough the stock has:

service adbd /sbin/adbd
disabled

Not:

service adbd /sbin/adbd
# disabled

Like the version from Nomad's package.

So I did a quick "adb pull init.rc" got rid of the # (which comments that line out making the nook ignore it) and the did a "adb push init.rc /init.rc" and rebooted my nook.

Sure enough after that I couldn't connect to the nook with adb once it finished rebooting. Went into Wifi_locker and now instead of locking up and force closing on me like it was doing before it can turn adb on/off correctly now.

I posted details on the nookdevs wiki here:
http://nookdevs.com/Talk:Applying_Wi...d.27s_packages

FWIW I had already done the fix here: http://nookdevs.com/Talk:Rooting_New_Hardware#Battery_Drain immediately after rooting just in case. So that could be why I was only down to 44% instead of out of battery like some people are reporting.

Will keep my fingers crossed and keep an eye on battery power. Will resist the urge to play with wifi apps and instead just read to see if I can get a week or more out of the battery like my wife does.

Only problem I still have is after rebooting my nook I have to re-register...my wife's non-rooted nook doesn't seem to have that issue so I'm guessing it must be related to something in the nomad_package.zip package.
Old 02-10-2011, 08:24 AM   #14
dragonias
me
dragonias began at the beginning.

Device: B&N nook
Wow, thank you so much! I read the whole nookdevs wiki except for that small paragraph You're my savior! My math textbooks will now be a lot more fun to read Thanks!!! Yeehaa!
dragonias is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2011, 11:40 AM   #15
jhitesma

Well, after 3 hours of reading last night, 8 hours of sleep and another hour of waking up my battery is at 70% which is fairly close to what my wifes non rooted does with similar use (Seems like the first 20-30% goes really quick then it slows down, then the last 20% also goes quick.)

So so far so good after getting adb to shut down. Will just have to see how many days it can go now before needing a charge....at least it's not a matter of hours though!