Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Barnes & Noble NOOK > Nook Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 12-01-2010, 05:02 PM   #16
SCION
Séduisant
SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox Note Air2+; Kobo Libra2; Kindle Scribe, Oasis3; iPad Mini6
Quote:
Originally Posted by bilbothejust View Post
As always you have good tips Scion. Are you going to root your NC?
Thanks.

I'm not going to root just yet. I'll wait and see what becomes of the B&N app store early next year. Plus there's the expected update to 2.2 during the same time frame.

I'm seeking more functionality as an ereader. A note taking app would be nice as well. I can get a lot done on my phone so my expectations are minimal. The device is fulfilling as it is.

I am keeping my eye on the Galaxy Tab in hopes of a WiFi-only version sometime next year and a price drop.

Last edited by SCION; 12-01-2010 at 05:04 PM.
SCION is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2010, 05:12 PM   #17
exodus1999
Enthusiast
exodus1999 has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.exodus1999 has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.exodus1999 has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Nook classic, nook color
Quote:
I'm assuming that the NC can always be restored back to factory settings without a trace of it ever having been rooted. Is that correct?]
I read if you power it down and up 7 times (holding power button for 15 seconds) it will reset. i have no clue if this is valid but its worth checking out.

Quote:
Excellent! I'll be all over this then! Of course, I have no idea about installing apps or anything like it so I guess I'll try and learn about that before I go doing this...
they talk about how to do it in the same thread on XDA, its fairly simple and im more than willing to help.
exodus1999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-01-2010, 05:31 PM   #18
exodus1999
Enthusiast
exodus1999 has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.exodus1999 has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.exodus1999 has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCION View Post
Thanks.

I'm not going to root just yet. I'll wait and see what becomes of the B&N app store early next year. Plus there's the expected update to 2.2 during the same time frame.

I'm seeking more functionality as an ereader. A note taking app would be nice as well. I can get a lot done on my phone so my expectations are minimal. The device is fulfilling as it is.

I am keeping my eye on the Galaxy Tab in hopes of a WiFi-only version sometime next year and a price drop.
Meh if you compare tab to NC; youre only getting a bit more speed and the camera (im sure everyone has this on there phones) once you have the NC rootedl; theres no reason for tab ESPECIALLY since youre not interested in the 3g features.
Old 12-01-2010, 05:48 PM   #19
SCION
Séduisant
SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Thanks for the insight. Valid point about the camera. Don't need it.

If I don't lose the B&N ereader functionality of the NC I'll give more consideration to rooting. Would love to stay with the quality hardware. Great look as well.
Old 12-01-2010, 05:52 PM   #20
discourse
Connoisseur
discourse has learned how to buy an e-book online

Device: NOOK Simple Touch with GlowLight, iPad 1
I found a video of the rooted NC running the Android Kindle app here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kEIsOGB8s3U for those who are interested.
discourse is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-01-2010, 06:06 PM   #21
exodus1999
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCION View Post
Thanks for the insight. Valid point about the camera. Don't need it.

If I don't lose the B&N ereader functionality of the NC I'll give more consideration to rooting. Would love to stay with the quality hardware. Great look as well.
yea the BN ereader part is the same, the apps show up in the extras. though i would like to change the GUI, i hate that i cant put files on the homescreen
Old 12-01-2010, 06:08 PM   #22
SCION
Séduisant

Gotta have a personalized homescreen after rooting!
Old 12-01-2010, 07:12 PM   #23
SpiderMatt
Grand Arbiter
SpiderMatt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SpiderMatt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SpiderMatt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SpiderMatt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SpiderMatt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SpiderMatt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SpiderMatt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SpiderMatt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SpiderMatt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SpiderMatt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SpiderMatt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPod Touch, Amazon Kindle, Motorola Droid
I have a few questions: When the NC is rooted, can you use the device while it is mounted? Also, how do you use apps that require the menu button? Is there a soft key on the screen you can use?
SpiderMatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2010, 08:12 PM   #24
s52m3
Enthusiast
s52m3 began at the beginning.

Device: none
I wish there was some sort of edu on what rooting is and how it effects the original device, pro/con list would be great. Other than being able to put software on it that is not currently available from B&N I don't understand that rooting is. What original functionality do you lose etc.
s52m3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2010, 08:19 PM   #25
exodus1999
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpiderMatt View Post
I have a few questions: When the NC is rooted, can you use the device while it is mounted? Also, how do you use apps that require the menu button? Is there a soft key on the screen you can use?

You cannot use it mounted unfortunately, but you can install the apps via a file manager (astro). and the menu button i havent run into a problem yet. can you suggest an app for me to try
Old 12-01-2010, 08:26 PM   #26
exodus1999
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by s52m3 View Post
I wish there was some sort of edu on what rooting is and how it effects the original device, pro/con list would be great. Other than being able to put software on it that is not currently available from B&N I don't understand that rooting is. What original functionality do you lose etc.
heres a good explanation:
http://www.talkandroid.com/7686-what...droid-rooting/

the pro is you can use other android apps on the nook color.
the con? you could mess up and brick (render NC useless) your NC, but apprently there is a failsafe.

Overall i think its very low risk, the just read through the instructions on nookdevs website or xda forums. If you dont care to use other apps on your NC. then dont really bother.
Old 12-01-2010, 08:46 PM   #27
French
Groupie
French ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.French ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.French ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.French ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.French ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.French ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.French ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.French ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.French ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.French ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.French ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bilbothejust View Post
As always you have good tips Scion. Are you going to root your NC?
Yes she does!
French is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2010, 08:52 PM   #28
SpiderMatt
Grand Arbiter
SpiderMatt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SpiderMatt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SpiderMatt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SpiderMatt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SpiderMatt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SpiderMatt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SpiderMatt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SpiderMatt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SpiderMatt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SpiderMatt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SpiderMatt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPod Touch, Amazon Kindle, Motorola Droid
Quote:
Originally Posted by exodus1999 View Post
You cannot use it mounted unfortunately, but you can install the apps via a file manager (astro). and the menu button i havent run into a problem yet. can you suggest an app for me to try
Just about every app has menu options. Like the Kindle app, for example, has the options to sync, sort, and access archived items available via the menu button. Right now I'm mostly interested in installing ACV (Android Comic Viewer) on there and you have to access the menu options to open a file.
SpiderMatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2010, 09:07 PM   #29
EmVee
EmVee began at the beginning.

Device: Nook
So has the Nook been FULLY rooted now or is it still in the stage where it's just sideloading apps?
EmVee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2010, 10:22 PM   #30
French
Groupie
French ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.French ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.French ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.French ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.French ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.French ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.French ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.French ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.French ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.French ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.French ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

ETA: Confirmed Pocket Legends works great!

I saw a video on YouTube and one of the programs he/she opened was Pocket Legends!!! Looks like it runs just fine (and this was actually one of the first programs that came to mind when I thought about rooting...so this makes me happy).

Last edited by French; 12-06-2010 at 09:16 AM.
French is offline   Reply With Quote