Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Writers' Corner

Notices

Old 06-22-2010, 05:35 PM   #1
joycedb
Guru
joycedb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joycedb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joycedb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joycedb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joycedb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joycedb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joycedb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joycedb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joycedb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joycedb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joycedb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
question about Word

I asked this over on the Amazon Author forum, but no one seems to drop in there much anymore. So I'll ask here.

I know someone said not to have too much white space in the doc you want to upload to Amazon for Kindle. But I've run into a problem. Most of the words end on or about the 8.5 mark on the ruler. But one page ends before it, and everytime I try to bring up the line from the next page it just runs into the last line. I put in a return and it moves to the next page again instead of just to the next line. Any idea what I'm doing wrong?

Also, what should the ruler settings be? And do I set them manually on the ruler or from the paragraph setting box?

Thanks for any help you can provide.

Joyce
joycedb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2010, 06:52 PM   #2
Robin O'Neill
Connoisseur
Robin O'Neill with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbitRobin O'Neill with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbitRobin O'Neill with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbitRobin O'Neill with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbitRobin O'Neill with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbitRobin O'Neill with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbitRobin O'Neill with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbitRobin O'Neill with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbitRobin O'Neill with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbitRobin O'Neill with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbitRobin O'Neill with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbit

Device: PC
Joyce,

I suggest as a starting point you go to the tab Paragraph and click on the pilcrow (the backwards P). This will make all the hidden formatting visible. You may have something going on at the space you want to close that can't be minimized due to formatting. How many spaces should be there? Is there something there that shouldn't be or should be that isn't?

The "easy" solution is to remove all formatting and start over. It's fairly painless in Word, probably take less time than you've already devoted to solving the mystery.

Robin
Robin O'Neill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2010, 07:32 PM   #3
joycedb
Guru
joycedb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joycedb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joycedb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joycedb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joycedb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joycedb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joycedb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joycedb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joycedb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joycedb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joycedb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Hi Robin,

Thanks for responding. I was showing all the formatting and it didn't show any unusual formatting going on there. I'm trying to do this following the Smashwords style guide, but I noticed the advice refers to the 2003 Word program and I can't seem to find the same page in my 2007 program. For instance it says to turn off the font default if it's not what you want by clicking on modify. Well, there is no modify button in my paragraph box. Also, it says to turn off the auto-formatting and tells you how to do it the 2003 program. I can't seem to find the same thing with mine.

I can see this is going to take awhile. I can only do it one step at a time before I get completely befuddled.

Joyce
Old 06-22-2010, 10:48 PM   #4
nomesque
Snooty Bestselling Author
nomesque ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nomesque ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nomesque ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nomesque ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nomesque ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nomesque ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nomesque ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nomesque ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nomesque ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nomesque ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nomesque ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-650
Hrmmm... I don't have Word 2007, so I'm not sure how useful I'll be. But I'll try

You might have 'orphan' and 'widow' controls set for your paragraph style. Basically, these stop one or two lines of a paragraph being stuck on the bottom of a page, with the rest of the paragraph on the next page. For print publishing, that's a legitimate issue. For epublishing, it's not at all important, and the code will likely be stripped during conversion anyhow.

If you need some more active help, I'm happy to look at the Word document directly. Just let me know.
nomesque is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2010, 10:06 AM   #5
joycedb
Guru

Thanks, nomesque. I'll look into that feature.

Joyce
Old 06-23-2010, 11:09 AM   #6
Robin O'Neill
Connoisseur
Robin O'Neill with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbitRobin O'Neill with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbitRobin O'Neill with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbitRobin O'Neill with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbitRobin O'Neill with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbitRobin O'Neill with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbitRobin O'Neill with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbitRobin O'Neill with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbitRobin O'Neill with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbitRobin O'Neill with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbitRobin O'Neill with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbit

Click the Microsoft Office Button , and then click Program Name Options, where Program Name is the name of the program you are in, for example, Word Options.
Click Proofing.
Click AutoCorrect Options.
Old 06-23-2010, 02:36 PM   #7
joycedb
Guru

Found it, Robin. Thanks so much. I'll probably be back with more questions as I go along, but I'll try to figure out most of them myself so I don't make a pest out of myself. Thanks again to both of you.

Joyce
Old 06-23-2010, 04:03 PM   #8
Robin O'Neill
Connoisseur

It's Microscoff. You're not a pest, you're trying to run the program.

Robin