Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 04-30-2010, 04:26 PM   #46
JCKobo
Kobo Product Guy
JCKobo can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.JCKobo can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.JCKobo can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.JCKobo can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.JCKobo can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.JCKobo can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.JCKobo can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.JCKobo can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.JCKobo can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.JCKobo can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.JCKobo can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.

Device: Kobo Vox
Quote:
Originally Posted by bamelin View Post
How many books are going to be available through the Kobo ebook store?
The number of books is growing every day, but including our free content we have over 2 million titles in our catalogue.
JCKobo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2010, 05:05 PM   #47
Mariobnft
Mariobnft began at the beginning.

Device: kobo
Hom many books in French ? If not When do you think you will have some?

Mariobnft
Mariobnft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2010, 05:15 PM   #48
JCKobo
Kobo Product Guy
JCKobo can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.JCKobo can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.JCKobo can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.JCKobo can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.JCKobo can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.JCKobo can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.JCKobo can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.JCKobo can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.JCKobo can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.JCKobo can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.JCKobo can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mariobnft View Post
Hom many books in French ? If not When do you think you will have some?

Mariobnft
Our paid books are almost exclusively english right now. We have some free French books, but I don't know the count.
Old 04-30-2010, 05:25 PM   #49
PeterT
Grand Sorcerer
PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Clara, Touch, Tolino EPOS
Quote:
Originally Posted by JCKobo View Post
DRM free ePubs and PDFs you can just drag on to the drive - just make sure you eject it properly.

Books you buy from Kobo can be loaded using the Kobo desktop software that comes with the device.

For DRMd books that aren't from Kobo, like those you get from the library or you purchase from other retailers, you can use Adobe Digital Editions to copy the files over.
I am finding that even when I have Vista eject or Safely Remove the device, that the next time I plug it in, I am cautioned that it was not removed safely, and I should perform a scan.
PeterT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2010, 06:21 PM   #50
KingOfMyWorld
KingOfMyWorld began at the beginning.

Device: PRS-350, Touchpad, Kindle 2, Kindle Touch
I've been meaning to ask, is there any hope for collection/folder support at some stage because I may be in the minority here but I have a hard time remembering all the books in some collections in order, like the In Death series is nearing 35 or so books now, and with no real numbering in the names, it's hard sometimes to buy a book and need to look them up online to remember where in the lineup they are.

At this price point no matter what I'm definitely sold on the device although after emailing back and forth with Kobo(Great customer service by the way.) and finding out the black won't be available at launch but sometime later I'm going to be holding out until then.
KingOfMyWorld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2010, 07:10 PM   #51
Bittybye
Addict
Bittybye ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bittybye ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bittybye ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bittybye ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bittybye ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bittybye ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bittybye ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bittybye ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bittybye ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bittybye ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bittybye ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-T2
Quote:
It should remember the last page read on each book independently. Is it not doing that for you? If not, please contact help@kobobooks.com. For what it's worth, I have 39 books open on my device, each with their own bookmark.
Really? I just assumed that it would simply go the book I closed with.

Thank you so much!

*scurries off to buy one*
Bittybye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2010, 09:59 PM   #52
cj2010
cj2010 began at the beginning.

Device: JBL
Can this read Chinese?

Thanks,
cj2010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2010, 10:31 PM   #53
Chopchurch
Lurker
Chopchurch doesn't litterChopchurch doesn't litter

Device: SmartQ 7, Wikireader, G1
Will the black units also retail for $150? And will it retail for $150 US when the Kobo goes on sale at Borders?
Chopchurch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2010, 05:41 AM   #54
Latinandgreek
Warrior Princess
Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-505; PRS-350, PRS-T1, iPad, Aura HD
I am sorely tempted to get this for my husband. I especially like the PDF zoom feature, and the price is fantastic.
Latinandgreek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2010, 08:24 AM   #55
KenFisher
Connoisseur
KenFisher composes epic poetry in binary.KenFisher composes epic poetry in binary.KenFisher composes epic poetry in binary.KenFisher composes epic poetry in binary.KenFisher composes epic poetry in binary.KenFisher composes epic poetry in binary.KenFisher composes epic poetry in binary.KenFisher composes epic poetry in binary.KenFisher composes epic poetry in binary.KenFisher composes epic poetry in binary.KenFisher composes epic poetry in binary.

Device: Kobo Touch, Kobo Vox, iPad
Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterT View Post
I am finding that even when I have Vista eject or Safely Remove the device, that the next time I plug it in, I am cautioned that it was not removed safely, and I should perform a scan.
Hi Peter,

I have the same with my Sony 600 on Vista and with Windows 7. I just close the window and continue to use the Sony library software and I have no issues. I will be interested to see if it appears when I connect the Kobo reader to by system.

Ken
KenFisher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2010, 02:32 PM   #56
SensualPoet
Wizard
SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura HD, Kindle Paperwhite, Asus ZenPad 3, Kobo Glo
Quote:
DRM free ePubs and PDFs you can just drag on to the drive - just make sure you eject it properly.

Books you buy from Kobo can be loaded using the Kobo desktop software that comes with the device.

For DRMd books that aren't from Kobo, like those you get from the library or you purchase from other retailers, you can use Adobe Digital Editions to copy the files over.
This very simple instruction -- how to add your own ePub books or how to add DRMed ePub (such as library books) -- is not found anywhere in any instructions from Kobo. It would be helpful to have that somewhere reasonably prominent. I entirely understand the idea is to buy more books from Kobo ... but there is so much public domain stuff from Gutenberg that is NOT available for purchase from Kobo, to say nothing of the amazing user-generated library here at MobileRead, and the ability to borrow from the tax-payer paid for local library, it's a pity to leave new consumers to figure this out on their own.

I checked out the Kobo display at Chapters Manulife this morning and there was one fairly busy person working a stand with 8 live samples to play with. Three of us bought a unit who were playing and listening to the sales clerk. (You had to give your first name to her, she went to a manager who got stock, then you went to a cash desk where the device was picked up and paid for it.)

Here's a clue as to how successful the Kobo might be -- and the "might be" is dependent on getting the consumer stuff right: the collective age, I'd guess, of the three of us was around 185; I was the youngest (!). The oldest chap was quite keen, asked all the expected questions, and was comfortable with plugging it into a computer to charge it. But the simple instruction of dragging your content onto the device -- the way you might manage photos from a camera -- won't be obvious to everyone. Why not a "mybooks" folder pre-installed?

Last edited by SensualPoet; 05-01-2010 at 02:34 PM. Reason: clarity
SensualPoet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2010, 04:23 PM   #57
JCKobo
Kobo Product Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by cj2010 View Post
Can this read Chinese?

Thanks,
The current version doesn't have the entire Unicode character set in the fonts - I'm not sure if Chinese works or not, but I've heard from various sources that, for example, Russian does not.
Old 05-01-2010, 04:23 PM   #58
JCKobo
Kobo Product Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chopchurch View Post
Will the black units also retail for $150? And will it retail for $150 US when the Kobo goes on sale at Borders?
I'm not sure Borders has announced their pricing yet - if they have, I don't know it, sorry
Old 05-01-2010, 08:10 PM   #59
PeterT
Grand Sorcerer
PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Clara, Touch, Tolino EPOS
Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterT View Post
Interesting... Since exchanging my unit today I have not had that issue!
PeterT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2010, 05:41 AM   #60
hamfitz
Enthusiast
hamfitz began at the beginning.

Device: aluratek libre, sony prs 650, nook
just wondering if kobo app will support windows mobile. either the old ones or the new windows mobile 7
hamfitz is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
kobo