Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Apple Devices

Notices

Old 02-12-2010, 10:34 PM   #1
scottjl
Reader of Books
scottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with others

Device: none
Post ScottJL's APE Guide

--deleted--

Last edited by scottjl; 08-02-2010 at 10:18 AM.
scottjl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2010, 10:39 PM   #2
scottjl
Reader of Books
scottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with others

I know it's long and lots of graphics but I figured I'd give the full tour. If you have any questions please post them here and I'll try and answer as best I can.
Old 02-12-2010, 11:28 PM   #3
Harmon
King of the Bongo Drums
Harmon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harmon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harmon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harmon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harmon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harmon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harmon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harmon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harmon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harmon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harmon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Excelsior! (Strange...)
Quote:
Originally Posted by scottjl View Post
I know it's long and lots of graphics but I figured I'd give the full tour. If you have any questions please post them here and I'll try and answer as best I can.
Wow, thanks for the detailed tour!

I have a cable internet connection at home. Do you think I can do this setup successfully at home, & then expect it to work at the hotel?

(Still trying to get out of lugging my laptop around...)
Harmon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2010, 11:38 PM   #4
scottjl
Reader of Books

Yes, if you set it up like I have (in bridge mode) you should be able to share your home connection just like you were in a hotel room.

Basically what "bridge" mode does is tell the APE to act as a "bridge" spanning the wired and wireless networks. It does not do any address translation (NAT) nor attempt to give wireless devices IP address (DHCP). To the hotel it would look like all your wireless devices are plugged into your network connection, at once! While some network equipment could be sophisticated enough to detect this and shut your connection down, most aren't. Most hotels have some sort of welcome page where you agree to their terms to use their internet service, you should see this page on each device you connect up with and use, each device should then get a network address from the hotel's DHCP servers. Some hotels make you sign back on daily, some every few days.

If you had a wifi-only device like the iPad, and the APE, you should be able to use the hotel's connection anyway. If you were on vacation with your family and everyone had their own laptops, then everyone should be able to share and use that one ethernet jack in the room!
Old 02-12-2010, 11:49 PM   #5
kjk
kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: never enough
Great guide, scott! I always forget to pack my Express, and always regret it later.
kjk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2010, 12:06 AM   #6
kjk
kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: never enough
I do hope though, that Apple releases an Airport Utility App for the iPad-it would be pretty nice to have that option (esp. if I decide to drop my Macbook and go with the iMac/iPad/iPhone route)
kjk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2010, 07:39 PM   #7
Harmon
King of the Bongo Drums
Harmon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harmon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harmon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harmon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harmon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harmon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harmon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harmon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harmon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harmon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harmon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kjk View Post
I do hope though, that Apple releases an Airport Utility App for the iPad-it would be pretty nice to have that option (esp. if I decide to drop my Macbook and go with the iMac/iPad/iPhone route)
Well, this makes absolute sense to me.

But the question is, What Does Steve Think?

I hate to come on as a fanboy, but let's face it - Steve always seems to get it right, doesn't he?
Old 02-13-2010, 08:03 PM   #8
dragonbone
must love dogs
dragonbone can extract oil from cheesedragonbone can extract oil from cheesedragonbone can extract oil from cheesedragonbone can extract oil from cheesedragonbone can extract oil from cheesedragonbone can extract oil from cheesedragonbone can extract oil from cheesedragonbone can extract oil from cheese

Device: Sony PRS-700, iPhone 32GB 3GS, iPad 64GB WiFi
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harmon View Post
I hate to come on as a fanboy, but let's face it - Steve always seems to get it right, doesn't he?
It depends from which side of the fence you are looking at it - from my side.... I agree .
dragonbone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2010, 09:04 PM   #9
Harmon
King of the Bongo Drums

Quote:
Originally Posted by dragonbone View Post
It depends from which side of the fence you are looking at it - from my side.... I agree .
It's clouds' illusions I recall...
Old 02-28-2010, 08:36 AM   #10
Victoria
Wizard
Victoria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Victoria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Victoria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Victoria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Victoria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Victoria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Victoria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Victoria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Victoria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Victoria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Victoria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: ipad, Kindle PW, Kobo Clara; iphone 7
Thumbs up Thank you!!

It seemed like every time the norton anti-virus or internet explorer updated themselves, everything would start crashing again. I figured that since iTunes was my best software - never a single problem, and my first gen ipod touch was still running perfectly, that I'd switch to apple. I gave my desktop and laptop away and switched over the christmas holidays.

I had picked up the airport express, because I wanted to create a small network so that I could print from my imac and macbook, etc, but was not sure how to go about it. I have a portable genius book, but found the instructions a bit confusing.

Thank you for taking the time to develop this guide. It worked perfectly. And I travel quite a bit for my job, and find most of the places only have wired internet - wouldn't have thought to take one of these with me, so that's a bonus. Thank you Scott
Victoria is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
airport express, apple, network, share, wifi