Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Barnes & Noble NOOK > Nook Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 05-03-2011, 10:36 PM   #1
abooch
abooch began at the beginning.

Device: none
Installing B&N 1.2.0 on an already rooted nook?

Could I just go ahead and download the Barnes & Noble update on an already rooted nook without any problems? and if so what method should I use?

Thanks guys!
abooch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2011, 11:56 PM   #2
jhempel24
Wizard
jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Amazon Kindle Paperwhite, B&N Nook Colro
If it's rooted with AutoNooter I think it will over-write that and you won't be rooted anymore, but not 100% positive.
jhempel24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2011, 12:55 AM   #3
abooch

Yea its with autonooter... Its my girlfriends nook... Theres not really a need for her to have a rooted device.. She just reads.. maybe some email and a couple of apps.. I'm thinking stock will be fine for her..
Old 05-04-2011, 01:02 AM   #4
Carriebear
Polar Bear
Carriebear can load mercury with a pitchforkCarriebear can load mercury with a pitchforkCarriebear can load mercury with a pitchforkCarriebear can load mercury with a pitchforkCarriebear can load mercury with a pitchforkCarriebear can load mercury with a pitchforkCarriebear can load mercury with a pitchforkCarriebear can load mercury with a pitchforkCarriebear can load mercury with a pitchforkCarriebear can load mercury with a pitchforkCarriebear can load mercury with a pitchfork

Device: Nook Color (rooted), iPod Touch (jailbroken)
abooch - Speaking as a person who had a rooted Nook then unrooted and now has "just" the stock Nook, the new update is perfect for me. I have my books, plus access to web and email. I downloaded a few of the free apps (6sense for Facebook and Twitter access, note taking app, etc) and bought the EZPDF reader and also bought a Bejeweled-like game. Of course I don't know what your gf's needs are, but if she just wants a few apps and occasional web/email access, the stock update should be just fine.

And yes, if her Nook was rooted with autonooter, the new update will overwrite it.

Last edited by Carriebear; 05-04-2011 at 01:03 AM. Reason: Typo
Carriebear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2011, 12:13 PM   #5
abooch

Thanks for the replies one more question do sideloaded books still work on stock firmware?
Old 05-04-2011, 02:23 PM   #6
Carriebear
Polar Bear
Carriebear can load mercury with a pitchforkCarriebear can load mercury with a pitchforkCarriebear can load mercury with a pitchforkCarriebear can load mercury with a pitchforkCarriebear can load mercury with a pitchforkCarriebear can load mercury with a pitchforkCarriebear can load mercury with a pitchforkCarriebear can load mercury with a pitchforkCarriebear can load mercury with a pitchforkCarriebear can load mercury with a pitchforkCarriebear can load mercury with a pitchfork

Device: Nook Color (rooted), iPod Touch (jailbroken)
Quote:
Originally Posted by abooch View Post
Thanks for the replies one more question do sideloaded books still work on stock firmware?
I use calibre to sideload books, and yep, they still work. It's somewhat tricky to get the book covers to display, but that's the only real glitch I've found. And now you can put sideloaded books on the Home screen, which I love.
Carriebear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2011, 05:11 PM   #7
becsta
Enthusiast
becsta doesn't litterbecsta doesn't litter

Device: Kobo Aura
I have my nook rooted with autonooter but the update did not overwrite it. I put the zip file on the internal memory and it just disappeared.
becsta is offline   Reply With Quote