Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 10-07-2010, 10:23 PM   #1
enn
enn began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 3, Kindle Voyage
Instapaper and @free.kindle.com

Hello,

Does anyone know why Instapaper will only send mail to @kindle.com addresses (where you are charged for 3G delivery) and not @free.kindle.com addresses (where they would be delivered over WiFi for free)? I don't understand what they gain from this.
enn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2010, 11:14 PM   #2
ski_power
Book eater
ski_power knows what time it isski_power knows what time it isski_power knows what time it isski_power knows what time it isski_power knows what time it isski_power knows what time it isski_power knows what time it isski_power knows what time it isski_power knows what time it isski_power knows what time it isski_power knows what time it is

Device: Kindle 3 G 3G (<-lol)
Probably they gain a %age of the fee that amazon charges. Yep, I'm pretty sure. Since they encourage you to buy a Kindle through their link where they say they get a commission, similarly I'm willing to bet they get a small fee everytime they deliver using 3G.

The only workaround I've gotten so far is to set my Kindle account balance to 0. But this defeats the purpose when I _really_ need to send something to my kindle and I'm willing to pay for it.
ski_power is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2010, 11:29 PM   #3
daffy4u
I'm Super Kindle-icious
daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KDXG, KT, Oasis
Quote:
Originally Posted by enn View Post
Hello,

Does anyone know why Instapaper will only send mail to @kindle.com addresses (where you are charged for 3G delivery) and not @free.kindle.com addresses (where they would be delivered over WiFi for free)? I don't understand what they gain from this.
If you turn on your WiFi, anything sent to @kindle.com will arrive for free. You'll only be charged if you are on 3G when it's delivered. This is how I receive my Calibre subscriptions.
daffy4u is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2010, 11:39 PM   #4
a_str8
a_str8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.a_str8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.a_str8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.a_str8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.a_str8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.a_str8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.a_str8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.a_str8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.a_str8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.a_str8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.a_str8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3 Wifi
On the Manage My Kindle page, you can set a limit to how much you'll be charged for receiving a document over 3g. Anything that would cost more than the limit is sent by wifi instead. If you set the limit to 0, every document should be delivered through wifi
a_str8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2010, 04:15 PM   #5
fordan
fordan began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by ski_power View Post
Probably they gain a %age of the fee that amazon charges. Yep, I'm pretty sure. Since they encourage you to buy a Kindle through their link where they say they get a commission, similarly I'm willing to bet they get a small fee everytime they deliver using 3G.
I seriously doubt this. Pretty much anyone can set up an Amazon Associate account and get credit for purchases made that were referred from their website with a special URL, but as far as I know there's no way to get a piece of a transfer fee.

More plausible answer: Wifi is a new development in the Kindle line, and sending to the free address prior to Wifi wouldn't have been real convenient so there wasn't a reason to support it.
fordan is offline   Reply With Quote