Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Reading and Management

Notices

Old 01-11-2010, 04:55 PM   #1
Perfessor
Perfessor began at the beginning.

Device: PRS-600
New(?) Library problem?

I've looked thru here trying to find a similar problem but haven't found one yet, so I thought I'd start my own. I have a PRS-600 which installed the library s/w (version 3.1.00.120740 - supposedly the latest) both at home and at work. I also have an SD card (2GB) installed for primarily work files.

I am Now learning that it is very restrictive in what you can do. And that it's directory structure makes no sense whatsoever. I have a lot of pdf files from work that I want on it and I am slowly getting them in there. I've found that any "collection" folder you create will have a copy in the 'book' folder also. but this thing is now throwing me a wild one.

I created a folder called 'Active Directory' where I want files related to that located. I put in one called "ADR" that is 74.8KB is size. It took a bit, but I finally got it into the right folder. Only to find out that it is also located in "Library - Books' and 'Reader - Books' and 'SD Card on Reader - Books'. along with extra copies of a smaller size (53.1KB) that are synced somewhere.

HUH!?!?

How can I get rid of these smaller ones?

And is sony or anyone coming out with a better library program? I don't want to see every single book and pdf file listed under the "Books" icon on my reader. I tried one called "calibre" but it is not much better structure-wise that the sony version.

Any and all help is welcome.

Perfessor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2010, 05:42 PM   #2
omk3
Wizard
omk3 can name that ebook in five wordsomk3 can name that ebook in five wordsomk3 can name that ebook in five wordsomk3 can name that ebook in five wordsomk3 can name that ebook in five wordsomk3 can name that ebook in five wordsomk3 can name that ebook in five wordsomk3 can name that ebook in five wordsomk3 can name that ebook in five wordsomk3 can name that ebook in five wordsomk3 can name that ebook in five words

Device: pocketbook 360, kindle 4
You should probably forget about "structure", as your reader does not support folders.
The way to keep your books in order are collections. Collections are actually tags you attach to your books, as you might have seen on calibre. You can attach multiple tags, say "author", "series", and "read" to a book, and your book will appear in all these three categories. That doesn't mean that you have three copies of the book. You can't get around seeing ALL of your books under books in your reader. But you can browse by collections and see your books in a more ordered way.
omk3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-12-2010, 03:47 PM   #3
Perfessor
Perfessor began at the beginning.

Device: PRS-600
Thumbs down

Thanks for your help.
Ok, I get that the files may/will show in different folders. But what about the documents that are listed 3 times in the same folder with 2 different sizes showing? The "original" is showing at 74KB while the "sync copies" are showing 53KB. How can I get rid of those extra copies?

Edit: Where did that red "thumbs down" come from?

Last edited by Perfessor; 01-12-2010 at 03:49 PM.
Perfessor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2010, 09:27 PM   #4
happy_terd
Banned
happy_terd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.happy_terd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.happy_terd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.happy_terd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.happy_terd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.happy_terd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.happy_terd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.happy_terd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.happy_terd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.happy_terd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.happy_terd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS 420
I was having soo much trouble with the sony software acting buggy. What I did was start using adobe digital edition (yes I am looking into calbre this weekend). The adobe digital edition is super simple to install, free, and its cool because all of your sony DRM books move over to it easy. It loads the books up to your sony ereader super simple also...you do not need to be computer smart at all to figure it out.

pm me if you want to try it out and need a little input on how to set it up. Either way trust me, get away from sony software.
happy_terd is offline   Reply With Quote