Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 06-20-2008, 06:53 AM   #1
thorswitch
Clueless (but nice!) Newb
thorswitch is less competitive than you.thorswitch is less competitive than you.thorswitch is less competitive than you.thorswitch is less competitive than you.thorswitch is less competitive than you.thorswitch is less competitive than you.thorswitch is less competitive than you.thorswitch is less competitive than you.thorswitch is less competitive than you.thorswitch is less competitive than you.thorswitch is less competitive than you.

Device: Kindle Fire HD
Sony's Premium Leather case v. M-edge 505 Case

I'm looking at possibly replacing the case on my Reader. The one it came with - a brown vinyl "James Patterson 'signature' edition" with a really blah gray interior - is fine for me on a *functional* level, but it's just kinda ugly. I don't need anything super tough - I'm homebound and disabled, so the Reader never leaves my bedside table. (I got it because my "dead tree" collection has already taken over our guest room and was threatening to start working on the bedroom next - you could say it was a purchase made in the interests if self-defense )

ANYway, have any of you tried either the Premium Leather case from the SonyStyle store or the Executive Jacket from M-edge?

The Sony is $40, while the M-edge is $27. The Sony is genuine leather, but doesn't indicate if it's padded at all or not, the M-edge is most likely vinyl (it doesn't say that on the page that I could find, but it doesn't say what it IS made out of, either, and if it looks like leather but they don't tell you what it's made of, I've found it's usually vinyl,) and is described as padded, but it has a nice closure on the front.

What I'm looking for, I guess, is just how well either of these have performed for people? Does the Sony give adequate protection for basic usage? Does the M-edge hold up well? What have y'all found to be the most important features in a case?

Thanks a bunch!!

Kriselda
thorswitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2008, 10:48 AM   #2
JeffElkins
Guru
JeffElkins is no ebook tyro.JeffElkins is no ebook tyro.JeffElkins is no ebook tyro.JeffElkins is no ebook tyro.JeffElkins is no ebook tyro.JeffElkins is no ebook tyro.JeffElkins is no ebook tyro.JeffElkins is no ebook tyro.JeffElkins is no ebook tyro.JeffElkins is no ebook tyro.

Device: Kobo Clara 2E/HD, Kindle PW
It's my understanding that the Sony leather case does not fold flat: this make it a no-go for me. I'm still looking.
JeffElkins is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-20-2008, 10:56 AM   #3
rhadin
Literacy = Understanding
rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook, Nook Tablet
Kriselda,

Let me say upfront that I do not own either of the cases -- I'm still using the tan case that came with my 505 -- so my opinion may not be all that valuable .

I looked at the images and descriptions of the 2 cases and if I were to buy one, I'd go for the Sony. There are a couple of things I don't like about the M-Edge as relate to my personal habits.

First, I do not like the way the Reader is held in the case. Past experience with the corner straps on other gadgets has been that over time they stretch and become slightly loose -- just enough to not give a fully secure hold. The Sony appears to have the same system as the standard cover, which I find to be pretty secure. (What I would really like is even a little more security -- a case that combines the two systems.)

Second, I do not like the strap on the M-Edge that holds the cover closed. Again, I have found that they eventually stretch. I'm not sure if this is correct but the standard Sony cover seems to have a slight magnetization to it that keeps the cover closed. Not an ideal system but perhaps a little better. More importantly, however, is that I like to fold the front cover back to make the Reader easier to hold one-handed and to access the lower left change buttons with the same hand. I think the M-Edge's outside strap would add bulk and make it uncomfortable for the one-handed grip.

Third, I absolutely hate the pen holder in the M-Edge, specially its location in the centerfold. Plus all the extra pockets for all kinds of things that I wouldn't carry with my Reader in any event, which would add bulk. The Sony seems to me to be a slimmer cover and easier to handle, just like the cover that comes with the Reader.

Finally, I like leather and I like to know that is what I am buying. The suede interior of the M-Edge could be a leather suede -- and probably is -- but they don't specify and leather is a great selling point.

So, my 2 cents is go for the Sony. But my opinion in this regard is really only worth 2 cents because I haven't made the plunge myself.
rhadin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2008, 11:12 AM   #4
astrodad
Guru
astrodad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrodad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrodad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrodad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrodad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrodad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrodad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrodad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrodad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrodad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrodad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3, Kindle Paperwhite 1, iPad, iPhone
The Sony one, which I own, is not completely flat, but feels nice and is light. I like the felt feel of the inside; very soft for the reader.
astrodad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2008, 12:49 PM   #5
MickeyC
Grand Sorcerer
MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 6 plus, Sony T1, iPad 3
I've got the MEdge Executive cover and like it fine. It does fold flat and is padded. Leather appears to be genuine and, so far, the corner straps haven't stretched at all. Do agree the pen loop is poorly placed and I world have preferred the storage slots on the inside of the front cover were on the back cover. Too easy to scratch the screen with the slots on the front.
All-in-all though I'm pleased with it
MickeyC is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-21-2008, 05:24 AM   #6
astra
The Introvert
astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony Reader PRS-650 & 505 & 500
I am with rhadin on that one. I would not go for medge for the same reasons he mentioned.
astra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2008, 10:20 AM   #7
kezza
Lowlife of the Party
kezza has a spectacular aura aboutkezza has a spectacular aura aboutkezza has a spectacular aura aboutkezza has a spectacular aura aboutkezza has a spectacular aura aboutkezza has a spectacular aura aboutkezza has a spectacular aura aboutkezza has a spectacular aura aboutkezza has a spectacular aura aboutkezza has a spectacular aura aboutkezza has a spectacular aura about

Device: nook, iphone
I have the Sony premium case and it does fold flat eventually, it's just a matter of breaking it in. I like the looks of the m-edge case, and I might try it out just for a change. The pocket placement on the Sony does make more sense, though.
kezza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2008, 11:19 AM   #8
thorswitch
thorswitch is less competitive than you.thorswitch is less competitive than you.thorswitch is less competitive than you.thorswitch is less competitive than you.thorswitch is less competitive than you.thorswitch is less competitive than you.thorswitch is less competitive than you.thorswitch is less competitive than you.thorswitch is less competitive than you.thorswitch is less competitive than you.thorswitch is less competitive than you.

Thanks for all the info, everyone, that really helps a lot!
Old 06-22-2008, 01:31 PM   #9
JeffElkins
Guru
JeffElkins is no ebook tyro.JeffElkins is no ebook tyro.JeffElkins is no ebook tyro.JeffElkins is no ebook tyro.JeffElkins is no ebook tyro.JeffElkins is no ebook tyro.JeffElkins is no ebook tyro.JeffElkins is no ebook tyro.JeffElkins is no ebook tyro.JeffElkins is no ebook tyro.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kezza View Post
I have the Sony premium case and it does fold flat eventually, it's just a matter of breaking it in. I like the looks of the m-edge case, and I might try it out just for a change. The pocket placement on the Sony does make more sense, though.
When you say "eventually," you mean days, weeks, months what? Any kind of visible wear or damage from folding flat?
Old 06-22-2008, 07:03 PM   #10
macphersondh
Enthusiast
macphersondh has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.macphersondh has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.macphersondh has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.macphersondh has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Sony PRS505
I have the MEdge cover and detest it and never use it.

The cover itself feels unpleasant to the touch, the material (leather? don't know) feels very thin yet paradoxically once the reader is inside the entire case is very bulky.

It does fold back, but the tongue adds volume to the general feel once folded.

I much prefer the slim blue standard cover that came with my 505.

David
macphersondh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2008, 10:24 AM   #11
rhadin
Literacy = Understanding
rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook, Nook Tablet
Quote:
Originally Posted by thorswitch View Post
Thanks for all the info, everyone, that really helps a lot!
Let us know what one you end up with, your reasons for buying it, and your review of it. Always nice to know what others think about these kinds of purchases.
rhadin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2008, 10:54 AM   #12
kezza
Lowlife of the Party
kezza has a spectacular aura aboutkezza has a spectacular aura aboutkezza has a spectacular aura aboutkezza has a spectacular aura aboutkezza has a spectacular aura aboutkezza has a spectacular aura aboutkezza has a spectacular aura aboutkezza has a spectacular aura aboutkezza has a spectacular aura aboutkezza has a spectacular aura aboutkezza has a spectacular aura about

Device: nook, iphone
Quote:
Originally Posted by JeffElkins View Post
When you say "eventually," you mean days, weeks, months what? Any kind of visible wear or damage from folding flat?
I think it depends on how much you use it. I'd say I had it folding back easily after a week of using it for about an hour a day. So, if you're sitting on the couch with it folded back for 6 hours it'll be broken in much more quickly.
The only visible wear from folding back is that the creases on the spine are a bit wider than they were when I bought it. No cracking, splitting or tearing.
After about 9 months of use I'm seeing some wear on the inside corners of the case, particularly where they meet the upper right corner of the device. The suede interior is rubbing off a bit there, but this doesn't seem to be spreading beyond a small area and isn't affecting the functionality of the case in any way.
kezza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2008, 12:45 AM   #13
JeffElkins
Guru

Thanks, Kezza!
Old 06-24-2008, 08:53 AM   #14
thorswitch

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhadin View Post
Let us know what one you end up with, your reasons for buying it, and your review of it. Always nice to know what others think about these kinds of purchases.
Will do - at this point, I'm thinking I'll most likely get the Sony one - some of the comments on the m-edge one - especially about the pockets possibly affecting the screen - sound like it's probably worth the extra to get the Sony, but I'm still thinking
Old 06-24-2008, 10:12 AM   #15
macphersondh
Enthusiast
macphersondh has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.macphersondh has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.macphersondh has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.macphersondh has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Sony PRS505
Tell you what... get the Sony cover -if you dont like it I will swap you that Sony cover for my unused and unloved black MEdge Executive cover (with a cash adjustment in your favour) then we might both be happy - just don't get the pink one!

David

Last edited by macphersondh; 06-24-2008 at 10:15 AM.
macphersondh is offline   Reply With Quote