Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Sigil

Notices

Old 03-08-2013, 01:17 PM   #1
wdaly
wdaly began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle keyboard / iPad 3
Good practice for packaging / folder management with Sigil

Coming from a print background, I’m used to a routine of packaging final artwork files in InDesign for archiving, so that all links and fonts are self-contained in a 'Final' folder. As far as I can see there is not a similar function in Sigil. I'm new to making ebooks, so I'm feeling my way through at the moment, building and modifying folder structures as I learn. I've renamed and moved folders around, though so far there don’t appear to be any links lost in doing this, but I wanted to put the question out there and find out people’s preferred ways to archive a finished ebook generated in Sigil.
wdaly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2013, 01:45 PM   #2
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by wdaly View Post
but I wanted to put the question out there and find out people’s preferred ways to archive a finished ebook generated in Sigil.
A finished ebook generated in Sigil IS an archive. As to folder structure... Sigil has it's own required structure and will automatically adjust/modify links to make sure the ePub complies with its requirements. There is no real wiggle-room concerning the structure of a Sigil created ePub: you either accept the structure it requires or you don't use it (to put it bluntly).

Last edited by DiapDealer; 03-08-2013 at 01:47 PM.
DiapDealer is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-08-2013, 01:50 PM   #3
wdaly
wdaly began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle keyboard / iPad 3
Thanks DiapDealer, that in fact seems to make life quite easy. To clarify, by folder structure, I meant my own project folders for saving the epub files and image files.
wdaly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2013, 01:56 PM   #4
mrmikel
Color me gone
mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-300
It is an archive, but it is not normally an archive of all the changes and the stages of all the images used to reach the final product. For that sort of thing I just save all the versions with a different alpha or numeric ending, so I can backtrack if I need to. And if you do search and replace with regex you will need to!
mrmikel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2013, 02:56 PM   #5
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by wdaly View Post
Thanks DiapDealer, that in fact seems to make life quite easy. To clarify, by folder structure, I meant my own project folders for saving the epub files and image files.
Sorry. My bad. I assumed you were talking about internal structure. I don't really save anything ouside the epub's archive. But like mrmikel said, I often save several versions of the epub along the way. Once it's finalized, however... I consider the epub itself to be the "project files."
DiapDealer is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert