Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 02-15-2012, 06:38 AM   #1
BossaNova
BossaNova began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle
Smile Is my E-Book legally?

Hi,

I've downloaded an E-Book. It's author is dead more than 70 years. So the copyright for the Text has expired. But the PDF-Version, that I have, is printed in 1952. Do you know if it is legally for me to possess this Book?

Thank you very much for an answer!

BossaNova
BossaNova is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2012, 07:20 AM   #2
Malcolmf
Malcolmf began at the beginning.

I think you're OK. There is copyright in the typesetting and layout of books in some regions laws, but it doesn't last anywhere as long-- 25 years, in the UK (and probably the rest of the EU) if I recall correctly. So any copyright in the typesetting of a 60 year old book will have expired decades ago.

The author is past caring, and if the scanned edition was printed that long ago, the publishers know they'd get nowhere trying to pursue a legal case. Don't worry.
Malcolmf is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-15-2012, 07:37 AM   #3
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by BossaNova View Post
Hi,

I've downloaded an E-Book. It's author is dead more than 70 years. So the copyright for the Text has expired. But the PDF-Version, that I have, is printed in 1952. Do you know if it is legally for me to possess this Book?

Thank you very much for an answer!

BossaNova
What country do you live in?
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2012, 02:36 PM   #4
BossaNova
BossaNova began at the beginning.

@Malcolmf: Thank you!

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
What country do you live in?
in Germany. Do you know, how it works there?

BossaNova
BossaNova is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2012, 02:40 PM   #5
Pookeysgirl
Wizard
Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3, Kobo Mini
Quote:
Germany Life + 70 years. 25 years from first publication or first public performance if copyright has expired before such publication or performance, or if the work has never been protected in Germany and the author died more than 70 years before the first publication.
From Wikipedia: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of...pyright_length
Pookeysgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert

Tags
copyright, e-book, legallly