Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Formats > ePub

Notices

Old 02-02-2012, 06:41 PM   #1
ryntau
ryntau herds cats with both ease and graceryntau herds cats with both ease and graceryntau herds cats with both ease and graceryntau herds cats with both ease and graceryntau herds cats with both ease and graceryntau herds cats with both ease and graceryntau herds cats with both ease and graceryntau herds cats with both ease and graceryntau herds cats with both ease and graceryntau herds cats with both ease and graceryntau herds cats with both ease and grace

Device: none
Adding a scaleable inline image within a paragraph

I'm looking to create an epub of some science papers, and I'm finding problems creating one thing.. formulas within the text. On occasion, there are small formulas, usually fractions (in this case, ± σ/√n) that are located in a paragraph, and I'd like them to be sized to look appropriate with the font-size that is around it. In the above case, I probably just use text, but it gets more complicated when you have formulas divided by other formulas so I've gone with creating them as images.

I was hoping that I could size the images using 'ems' so that they scale as the user increases the font size. But this doesn't work (unless i'm not doing it right, in which case..help!)

Is there a way to do this with SVG or is that only for fullscreen? I'm really at a loss.

Thanks,
ryntau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2012, 01:59 AM   #2
Keroberos
Zealot
Keroberos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Keroberos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Keroberos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Keroberos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Keroberos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Keroberos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Keroberos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Keroberos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Keroberos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Keroberos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Keroberos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Mini (4GB), Nook Classic wi-fi, iPod Touch (Bluefire Reader)
Should work just fine without using an svg wrapper. Just add "width:#em;" the the image's css class (where "#" is the actual numerical width you want it, you'll probably have to fiddle with the exact width to get it to look right).

I've uploaded a sample ePUB showing how to do it.
Attached Files
File Type: epub Scale Test.epub (21.6 KB, 353 views)
Keroberos is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-03-2012, 02:54 AM   #3
Toxaris
Wizard
Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-T1, Kobo Touch, Kobo Aura
Actually, I would use SVG for this. The main benefit in that would be the scaling. When you use images, the quality can really suffer from scaling. With SVG this will not happen. I use codecogs for this.
Toxaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2012, 04:43 AM   #4
DSpider
Evangelist
DSpider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DSpider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DSpider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DSpider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DSpider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DSpider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DSpider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DSpider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DSpider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DSpider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DSpider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW2 2014
But the question is do all readers support SVG?
DSpider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2012, 11:20 AM   #5
Toxaris
Wizard
Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-T1, Kobo Touch, Kobo Aura
They should, it is in the specs. So far I haven't seen a reader than didn't support the formula's as I used them.
Toxaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert